Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Marco Simoncelli
10-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Marco Simoncelli
The saying goes things come in three. Oh, how I hope that not be true. 2 in 2 weekends is "too" much. Sad, sad day. Sad, sad series of weekends.

http://www.motogp.com/en

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2011, 06:19 AM
RE: Marco Simoncelli
Terrible images, when you see a biker's helmet off, you know something really bad has happened.

R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.
10-23-2011, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 06:23 AM by Original JB.)
His website has already (well, I was going to type crash, or gone down, or stopped). It's frozen...... 2 competitors at the top of the field in top category in 2 weekends. It's incomprehensible.

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
10-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Again one of those black tides in motorsport.
Simoncelli was a great guy, Moto GP is losing one of their best.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Omg I missed the race tonight and this was the first I knew of this! Im just in total shock this is a really sad event I liked Simoncelli a lot both as a rider and a person, R.I.P to Simoncelli and my thoughts go to his family and all the riders.
10-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Such a terrible week for motorsports. With factory support drom Honda, Simonchelli was going to put in a good run at the championship next year. It's tragic that he won't get the chance.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
10-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Very sad and tragic. R.I.P.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I've seen the accident and it is unbelievable. I really feel for the guys that hit him too, they had no chance. I've never seen a bike fall over and slide back onto the racing line like that.

Completely tragic.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
10-24-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm just too numb to feel sad. I have no words...

Rest in peace Marco. you will be missed Sad
[Image: 236024_fim+awards+ceremony-1280x960-oct2...ow_169.jpg]

[Image: rpm_g_wheldon01jr_288.jpg]
10-24-2011, 08:20 AM
(10-23-2011 01:55 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I've seen the accident and it is unbelievable. I really feel for the guys that hit him too, they had no chance. I've never seen a bike fall over and slide back onto the racing line like that.

Completely tragic.

It's unfortunately the one accident that they can't protect against in Motorcycle racing. The two deaths in top level events last year (Peter Lenz & Shoya Tomizawa) were both from other riders hitting the people who were killed.

It is a massive tragedy, he will leave a huge hole in the sport. I think after Rossi he was rapidly becoming the fans favourite.
10-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, it might get real messy...

Marshalls dropped Simoncelli

If he can be shown to have been alive until that drop.

Madness has its toll.  Please have exact change.
10-25-2011, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2011 04:56 PM by chemics.)
(10-25-2011 04:37 PM)monzagorilla Wrote:  Well, it might get real messy...

Marshalls dropped Simoncelli

If he can be shown to have been alive until that drop.

His Dad has commented that he was 10 meters away at the time and that he was gone already, so it didn't make a difference. They just need to make sure the procedures are tightened up. Tomizawa was also dropped while on the stretcher because the marshals were rushing.

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/7887/p...elsblog%29
10-25-2011, 05:25 PM
It's also disturbing that the stretcher had to be handed over a high armco barrier. Why wasn't the ambulance on the track?

10-26-2011, 08:11 AM
(10-25-2011 05:25 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  It's also disturbing that the stretcher had to be handed over a high armco barrier. Why wasn't the ambulance on the track?

I agree, I think there are still some improvements to be made in how accidents are dealt with in motorcycle racing. In general, even if a rider is injured they are usually at the side of the run off area or in a gravel trap and the race continues, so the ambulance being off track allows that, but in cases like this it should be on track with the rider so the medics can deal with the rider rather than the marshals having to move him at all.
10-26-2011, 12:35 PM
You cannot have marshalls touching and moving an unconscious driver (unless there is immediate risk to the driver such as fire). That is why you have emergency medical staff at races. As mentioned, why wasn't the ambulance on the track? The race was red-flagged. This whole scene reminded me of Formula 1 in the 1960s and early 1970s.

For a frightening example of what could have been a really bad result see Rubens' crash at Imola in 1994. The marshalls just flipped the car back immediately - watch his head whip back and forth. If he had any vertebra damage, this would have possibly paralyzed or killed him.

10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
I wonder if they would right the car like that today?

Tell you what though, Sid was there in under 30 seconds even back then.

10-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Yes, Sid was there quickly. Speaking of whom... great read: Life at the Limit: Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One (Motorbooks Intl, 1996) ISBN 0760303150 by Dr. Sidney Watkins

10-26-2011, 04:13 PM
(10-26-2011 01:00 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I wonder if they would right the car like that today?

Tell you what though, Sid was there in under 30 seconds even back then.

MotoGP needs to be at that level with the right people on the scene in seconds. Hopefully the necessary changes are made to make that happen. It wouldn't have changed anything in this case but that doesn't mean it wouldn't in future.
10-27-2011, 03:08 AM
(10-26-2011 01:00 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I wonder if they would right the car like that today?

I don't think they would. Unless there is a risk of fire, I imagine they would wait for a crane before they flip the car. Or perhaps they would try to extract the driver while the car was still upturned. In any case, if the car was righted like that it would not be as dangerous for the driver as the HANS device would help to control the head movement.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
10-27-2011, 03:30 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersp...ds-newsxml
A well written report about his life and death and the reaction, his funeral is to be held today and he is going to be buried in his local cemetery near his family.
10-27-2011, 12:49 PM
(10-27-2011 03:30 AM)Ponte92 Wrote:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersp...ds-newsxml
A well written report about his life and death and the reaction, his funeral is to be held today and he is going to be buried in his local cemetery near his family.

There is a lot of outrage in the Motorcycle community at the way the Daily Mail has reported on this story. It has shown a lot of images that most feel are too graphic given the outcome.
10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
they're upset with a newspaper for showing pictures of what happened?

i understand that some people don't like to see that stuff, but they can just avert their eyes or buy a different paper. i don't understand why anyone would be upset with the newspaper for running pictures that too accurately illustrate the story. i'm more more concerned about media agencies that go the other way.
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
(10-27-2011 02:36 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  they're upset with a newspaper for showing pictures of what happened?

i understand that some people don't like to see that stuff, but they can just avert their eyes or buy a different paper. i don't understand why anyone would be upset with the newspaper for running pictures that too accurately illustrate the story. i'm more more concerned about media agencies that go the other way.

I think what they showed was too graphic and unnecessary. There were stills of the accident in progress and afterwards as he lay dying/dead on the track. I don't think it was needed to show as much as they did to illustrate what happened effectively. I think the general feeling was that it was gruesome just for sensationalism.

I purposely avoided it, so I don't know exactly what was there but a lot of people were upset and I didn't see any counter arguments that the content was OK.
10-27-2011, 03:10 PM
(10-27-2011 03:02 PM)chemics Wrote:  I think the general feeling was that it was gruesome just for sensationalism.

sensationalism - (esp. in journalism) the use of exciting or shocking stories or language at the expense of accuracy, in order to provoke public interest or excitement. [emphasis added]

(10-27-2011 03:02 PM)chemics Wrote:  I didn't see any counter arguments that the content was OK.

well now you have.
10-27-2011, 04:04 PM
(10-27-2011 12:49 PM)chemics Wrote:  most feel are too graphic given the outcome.

Most and I don't share the same definition of graphic.

Ad Astra Per Audacia