Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Liuzzi to drive the Gold Coast 600
10-22-2011, 09:29 AM
RE: Liuzzi to drive the Gold Coast 600
(10-21-2011 01:46 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  since when do touring car people have a problem with crashing? i thought that's why they watch touring cars instead of sports cars; for the gratuitous crashing.

I don't watch V8's for the crashes but for the close racing (although there are some spectacular crashes). This just stood out to me because for an F1 world champion, Villeneuve drove like a complete amateur.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Let's hope these Australian touring cars stay as real touring cars and not go the way of Nascar.

National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing (Nascar) began as stock touring cars- from showroom to track. Now, they are only a rollcage with a fake sheet of metal surrounding it. The lights, door handles, etc. are all just painted on the metal.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
10-22-2011, 09:59 AM
There has been a step towards that in recent years, but it hasn't been all that extreme. V8 racing isn't spec racing and I doubt that it ever will be because the tracks require more than just a painted roll-cage to navigate with a decent time.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
10-22-2011, 10:14 AM
I had thought, but probably just imagined it for some reason, that the V8's had to be "road legal", i.e. working lights and such stuff.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
10-22-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't think you are imagining that I thought they did too.
10-22-2011, 10:52 AM
(10-22-2011 10:14 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  I had thought, but probably just imagined it for some reason, that the V8's had to be "road legal", i.e. working lights and such stuff.

I doubt they would be road legal, but they do have working light and such. They are basically modified racing versions of road cars.

10-22-2011, 10:55 AM
It seems Liuzzi does have time, as HRT has announced Karthikeyan would be paired with Ricciardo for the Indian GP.
10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Saw that announcement too. Hmmm... looks like I was wrong, or something has changed.

[Image: zsolt-baumgartner-minardi.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Riccardo has outdriven Luizzi a number or times this year, do you think it could be that that made them change there minds?
10-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Race 1 - DNF for D'Alberto / Liuzzi

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
10-22-2011, 10:59 PM
(10-22-2011 09:10 PM)Ponte92 Wrote:  Riccardo has outdriven Luizzi a number or times this year, do you think it could be that that made them change there minds?

i just checked the stats, and i think that's a definite possibility.

of the 8 races they've done together, liuzzi has 2 retirements and ricciardo has 1. of the 5 races they've both finished, ricciardo finished ahead in 4. only in the first race of ricciardo's career did he get beaten by liuzzi on the track.
10-22-2011, 11:23 PM
(10-22-2011 10:59 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(10-22-2011 09:10 PM)Ponte92 Wrote:  Riccardo has outdriven Luizzi a number or times this year, do you think it could be that that made them change there minds?

i just checked the stats, and i think that's a definite possibility.

of the 8 races they've done together, liuzzi has 2 retirements and ricciardo has 1. of the 5 races they've both finished, ricciardo finished ahead in 4. only in the first race of ricciardo's career did he get beaten by liuzzi on the track.

Also he was fighting with the Virgins in Korea which I think is a first for HRT

10-23-2011, 12:23 AM
i seem to remember the hrts being faster than the virgins at a few races over the past couple years.
10-23-2011, 04:16 AM
Ricciardo is proving a lot better than he did in his debut race. I believe he is still on loan and will be in an STR next year, so keeping Liuzzi for the race would have been better to keep him happy. Unless next year Liuzzi will be joining V8 full time.

10-23-2011, 04:33 AM
HRT don't have to keep Liuzzi happy, it's the other way round.
10-23-2011, 07:53 AM
I think Riccardo is there as a test for Toro Rosso who are interested in him, or so I thought.
10-23-2011, 08:25 AM
(10-23-2011 07:53 AM)Ponte92 Wrote:  I think Riccardo is there as a test for Toro Rosso who are interested in him, or so I thought.

That was supposed to be the idea - though it has been difficult for him to do much in such a dog of a car.
10-23-2011, 08:33 AM
True, but he has out driven Liuzzi and contended with the Virgins a few times, which I would think would work in his favour somewhat
10-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Ricciardo is doing well, but the current Toro Rosso boys have shown some good racing skills too, both finishing in the top 10 in Korea. A lot will depend on the few remaining races of the year.
10-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Liuzzi out, Karthikeyan in http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/10/23/toni...rand-prix/

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
10-23-2011, 10:38 AM
(10-23-2011 08:42 AM)InterRaptor Wrote:  Ricciardo is doing well, but the current Toro Rosso boys have shown some good racing skills too, both finishing in the top 10 in Korea. A lot will depend on the few remaining races of the year.
Well earlier in the year Eric was singing random Buemi praises and Kubicas doctors have said he is still months away before he can sit in a car... So I think we may see Jamie stay and Ricciardo in. Thing is that Red Bull can't have it's junior drivers training for ever.

10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
(10-23-2011 10:38 AM)Baumgartnerfan Wrote:  
(10-23-2011 08:42 AM)InterRaptor Wrote:  Ricciardo is doing well, but the current Toro Rosso boys have shown some good racing skills too, both finishing in the top 10 in Korea. A lot will depend on the few remaining races of the year.
Well earlier in the year Eric was singing random Buemi praises and Kubicas doctors have said he is still months away before he can sit in a car... So I think we may see Jamie stay and Ricciardo in. Thing is that Red Bull can't have it's junior drivers training for ever.

True, but Vettel and Webber are both in contract for next year so we won't see a junior there for at least a year. When Webber goes would you replace him with Ricciardo?

10-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Well, the thing is Vettel got his Red Bull promotion after a year and a half in F1. He had a pretty impressive rain race in Japan where if he didn't bump into Webber he could have scored a Podium then and there in his first season, and he did finish 4th in the following race, but besides a few stand out moments his first year I would say he was quite incinsistent with many mistakes, and only when they finally got the newey car he started to do well.

Ricciardo looks like a talent, and he speaks a lot more pleasently and modestly than Alguearsari or Buemi for that matter. The current STR driver are only now looking good, and in my Opinion Alguersari is the better, but not ready for Red Bull yet. I think though Buemi is not crap and interraptor will dissagree with me, I see him as a Journey man and don't see him troubling Vettel ever.

Would I put Ricciardo in a Red Bull in 2013? If he comprehensevely beats his STR team mate and sneaks in some awesome races, sure. Buemi has had 3 full seasons in F1, and he's looking competent but I don't see that curve upwards that I think Alguersari has shown. And Helmut Marko maybe wants team orders, I don't think Mateschitz does, and if there is any desire not to have Webber as a No.2 to Vettel it's probably to prove about the Red Bull driver academy, that Webber wasn't a part of, so I think team orders will be less of an issue once Webber retires/leaves.

10-24-2011, 10:27 AM
(10-23-2011 10:43 AM)C_O_N Wrote:  True, but Vettel and Webber are both in contract for next year so we won't see a junior there for at least a year. When Webber goes would you replace him with Ricciardo?

I think the jury is out on the possibility of Ricciardo replacing Webber when he retires - he will need to showcase his ability in a better car before Red Bull will make that I would imagine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Some Action from Gold Coast V8Supercars leonbray 15 3,681 11-03-2010 10:20 AM
Last Post: Original JB