Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Horrific 15 Car Crash 2011 IndyCar World Championships in Las Vegas 300
10-17-2011, 05:52 PM
RE: Horrific 15 Car Crash 2011 IndyCar World Championships in Las Vegas 300
Jimmie Johnson to IndyCar: "No more ovals"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/1...?tag=stack

It seems it was only a few years ago Indy was almost an oval-only series.

It will be interesting to see what if anything changes in the series going forward.

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2011, 06:06 PM
as much as i agree, jimmie is not the person to be delivering that message. he's never raced in indycars, so he has no expertise or perceived loyalty to the series. it just comes off as somewhere between him sticking his nose where it doesn't belong and him trying run indycar out of the tracks that his series uses.
10-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Oh no- I'm agreeing with Frank again Wink Nascar would LOVE to take-over the Brickyard.

Photo from 5 weeks ago:

[Image: 16k8goh.jpg]

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
10-18-2011, 04:27 AM
autopsy puts the cause of death at blunt trauma to the head.
http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/...d-injuries
10-18-2011, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2011 09:07 AM by gr.)
(10-16-2011 05:48 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  This is Will Powers car

Has it been long enough that I can say something about fingers? No? Not yet? Okay.
(10-18-2011 04:27 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  autopsy puts the cause of death at blunt trauma to the head.

That's a really classy obit, actually. Thanks for the link, Frank!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2011, 11:11 AM
I keep seeing comments that IndyCar should give the $5 million bonus in a trust fund for Wheldon's kids. I saw it in a tweet from Paul Tracy and in a comment attached to the cause of death link Frank posted. That's a nice thought, but I was under the impression that the bonus was an insurance policy that IndyCar had taken out, like golf tournaments do when they offer a prize if someone makes a hole in one on a certain hole. I don't think IndyCar has the money, it belongs to whatever insurance company offered the policy on the bonus. (We can debate the evil insurance companies later). Am I wrong?

10-18-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't like all this shouting about what they should or shouldn't do, especially in public and especially on something like twitter. In fact, I find it quite selfish of people, especially those in the public eye, to do so. Paul Tracy should work behind the scenes to get something done and when it gets done, we will know about it.

I assume Dan did enough in his career to leave his family comfortable.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
10-18-2011, 01:41 PM
(10-18-2011 01:06 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I don't like all this shouting about what they should or shouldn't do, especially in public and especially on something like twitter. In fact, I find it quite selfish of people, especially those in the public eye, to do so. Paul Tracy should work behind the scenes to get something done and when it gets done, we will know about it.

I assume Dan did enough in his career to leave his family comfortable.

He got $2.5M in prize money from the Indy 500 this year, so I'd guess so given he's won it once before as well and too the title once.
10-18-2011, 02:15 PM
i've been more than a bit annoyed by all the "we need to look out for his kids" stuff as well. he made multiple millions. his kids don't need our money. they need their father back, but a trust fund isn't going to help with that.
10-18-2011, 07:24 PM
(10-18-2011 04:27 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  autopsy puts the cause of death at blunt trauma to the head.
My buddy spotted it when TV showed a shot of Dan's car under a tarp. He mentioned "No roll hoop" - not a good sign at all. The car was flat through that area indicating a massive impact.

Let's face it.. cars are designed to protect driver's from impacts in a horizontal plane. There isn't much protection overhead beyond the roll hoop, and that is mainly to keep the car from crushing the driver when flipped on the ground.

Madness has its toll.  Please have exact change.
10-18-2011, 09:19 PM
(10-18-2011 07:24 PM)monzagorilla Wrote:  
My buddy spotted it when TV showed a shot of Dan's car under a tarp. He mentioned "No roll hoop" - not a good sign at all. The car was flat through that area indicating a massive impact.

Let's face it.. cars are designed to protect driver's from impacts in a horizontal plane. There isn't much protection overhead beyond the roll hoop, and that is mainly to keep the car from crushing the driver when flipped on the ground.

His car didn't even hit the safety barrier. He hit the catch fencing, cockpit up. The fencing is only supposed to stop bits of car flying into the stand. It wasn't designed to cushion a crash.
10-18-2011, 11:31 PM
(10-18-2011 02:15 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i've been more than a bit annoyed by all the "we need to look out for his kids" stuff as well. he made multiple millions. his kids don't need our money. they need their father back, but a trust fund isn't going to help with that.

Yeah, I double that. I think money isn't their issue at the moment.

[Image: zsolt-baumgartner-minardi.jpg]
10-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Agreed i think at this point the family have more to think about then money and trust funds
10-19-2011, 04:14 AM
(10-17-2011 05:52 PM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  Jimmie Johnson to IndyCar: "No more ovals"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/1...?tag=stack

It seems it was only a few years ago Indy was almost an oval-only series.

It will be interesting to see what if anything changes in the series going forward.

AJ Foyt and Mario Andretti to Jimmie Johnson: "Shut up, you don't know what you're talking about."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/ind...50819204/1

[Image: nurburgring.jpg]
[Image: lemans2.jpg]
[Image: lemans1.jpg]
10-19-2011, 05:37 AM
it's disingenuous for foyt to imply that nascar and indycar pose the same risk. would wheldon have died if he had been going 10% slower and had a roof with a proper roll cage over his head? i doubt it.

yes, it was a freak accident.
yes, every racer should accept that he could get the tap on the shoulder at any race.
no, not all racing is equally dangerous.

indycar has some bad priorities right now. their cars are not state of the art in terms of safety anymore, but all they seem to care about is going yet faster on tracks that were specifically designed for radically different cars. it's like trying to sell your ammunition to a consumer base that all owns the wrong gun for it. it's not good for the series, and it puts everyone at risk.
10-19-2011, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2011 01:23 PM by Neonzapper.)
Four time Indy winner, A.J. Foyt is quite a colorful character. He has always spoken his mind. I can remember him coming in for a pit stop with some sort of mechanical trouble, and jumping out of the cockpit, pushing the mechanic over, then grabbing the tools -working on the car himself. He owns race horses, and dreamed of winning the Kentucky Derby and Indy 500 at the same time. His foul language was so bad, they couldn't delay much of what he said on a live TV broadcast during the Derby race, so he threatened to withdraw his horse. This guy's not a conventional thinker, always has been, and the TV commentators have usually laughed lovingly when it involved A.J.

As for Indy safety, Dan Wheldon was the main driver who was testing the 2012 safety standards for their new cars. Since he wasn't a fulltime driver (he was going to sign with Michael Andretti right after that race), he had time to devote to charity, safety, and other projects. He admitted he was financially secure for life, but needed to find a Sponsor.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
10-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Jimmy Johnson has clarified his statement regarding Indy Cars racing on ovals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=ap...miejohnson

I suspect AJ Foyt slapped some sense into him.

10-20-2011, 02:01 PM
right, he only meant high-banked ovals. because the low-banked ovals usually fall under the terms "street courses and road courses." i know i've always thought of a low-banked oval as a road course. someone fire his publicist. that was pathetic.
10-22-2011, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2011 07:06 PM by Nasir.)
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/C...TE=DEFAULT

"I can still feel your love around me," she wrote. "Not even death can take that away."
10-23-2011, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 10:08 AM by Original JB.)
Dan was due to race in Australia this weekend. In his honour, the top International driver over the race weekend (2 races) was awarded the Dan Wheldon trophy. Embarrassingly it wasn't done well (the announcer is saying Queensland Premier Anna Bligh, when it was actually the Miss Gold Coast 600 girl who somehow ended up with the trophy and literally shoved it into Seb's hands). Fortunately, Seb was very gracious and sincere in his short speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeLV4w1P7VE

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
10-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Miss Gold Coast didn't look like she knew who the trophy was supposed to go too, it was done a little to rushed for my liking but Seb was very gracious and the whole idea was a really good one i thought.
10-23-2011, 07:50 PM
(10-23-2011 06:34 PM)Ponte92 Wrote:  Miss Gold Coast didn't look like she knew who the trophy was supposed to go too, it was done a little to rushed for my liking but Seb was very gracious and the whole idea was a really good one i thought.

Remeber all the whinging about V8 Supercars not being live, well this is the result - when the race goes over the anticipated time, the end is rushed. Lucky that he got a chance to speak at all.

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
To true, it looked like he was going to say a speech no matter what, cause he really needed to, I thought it was a really nice speech, though he looked like he was about to cry poor guy
10-23-2011, 08:17 PM
(10-23-2011 06:34 PM)Ponte92 Wrote:  Miss Gold Coast didn't look like she knew who the trophy was supposed to go too, it was done a little to rushed for my liking but Seb was very gracious and the whole idea was a really good one i thought.

Looks like she was supposed to give it to Anna Bligh to present and Anna wasn't on the podium - you can see her arrive late - standing near Rusty. Typical of the leader of this state

Seb did a great job.

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
10-24-2011, 05:44 AM
ahh thats what happened yeh i was a little confused, hahahah i thought you guys were meant to like Anna?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Indycar Engaging Fans, or Gimmick? Jackson 5 761 08-31-2015 12:06 AM
Last Post: Neonzapper
  JEV, Silvestro and Rossi Looking for seats in Indycar parrothead 0 505 12-02-2014 09:28 AM
Last Post: parrothead
  Baltimore Indycar 2013 eric4ok 8 1,595 09-14-2013 03:13 PM
Last Post: Neonzapper
  IndyCar - The Cartoon LappedTraffic 51 12,496 03-19-2012 07:17 AM
Last Post: chemics
  McLaren ECUs not working well in Indycar parrothead 0 806 02-25-2012 12:02 PM
Last Post: parrothead