Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Horrific 15 Car Crash 2011 IndyCar World Championships in Las Vegas 300
10-16-2011, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2011 06:26 PM by Yaaay.)
Horrific 15 Car Crash 2011 IndyCar World Championships in Las Vegas 300
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcAZ7I_lk7M

Nasty, Anyone know how Dan Weldon is?
Dan is in hospital with "serious" injouries.

This is Will Powers car

[Image: 2a8hlw2.jpg]

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2011, 06:36 PM
RE: Horrific 15 Car Crash 2011 IndyCar World Championships in Las Vegas 300
who would have thought that running open wheel, open cockpit cars in a tight pack at high speed would be dangerous?
10-16-2011, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2011 07:03 PM by Yaaay.)
Open wheel cars should not be raced on ovals. There is no point.
Just heard Wheldon died.

10-16-2011, 07:23 PM
RIP Dan Wheldon. I am numb. One of my co-workers was at the race at Vegas today.

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
10-16-2011, 07:51 PM
He was from a village not far from me. One of my Girlfriends was from there so I know it well. I don't know why this brought up all those old memories but there you go. Shame money prevented him from racing in Europe. I expect Nasir will do a piece on him.

I completely understand stock car oval racing but will never understand why open wheel cars do it.

10-16-2011, 08:06 PM
It seems like most of the open-wheeled fatalities I can think of in the last 10 years have been on ovals. But I am sure someone will correct me.

Indy was trying to generate interest in their series by running this $5 million contest that if anyone could start from the back of the pack and win the race today, they would win $5 Million. They were hoping to get people from Nascar to come over and race, but Dan was the only one to sign up for it. Seems a bad idea now. I wonder what the fallout in the IndyCar series will be. Bad that this was the last race of the season.

10-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Sad news - a few others should consider themselves very lucky

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
10-16-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm just sick. I really wish this was just a bad dream. Dan was getting ready to announce a new deal with Andretti Autosports. As much as I love F1, I owe my love for open wheels to Indycar. I grew up in Indy and have followed the sport thru the split and now back together again. Ive been hoping Indycar can get back to the hey days of the 90's. I know the Indy 500 is a dangerous race But, the NASCAR tracks are made for those cars. Indycar needs to move away from the mile and a half tracks with 20 degree banking.
Sigh... This sucks.
10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Such a shame. That's not the way a 2 time Indy 500 winner should go.
10-16-2011, 10:15 PM
R.I.P. Dan Wheldon. I'm numb, too. I just saw him race a few weeks ago in Baltimore. His merchandise trailer was next to Pratt St. and I thought it ironic to see him sitting at the turn during a pileup- a few feet from people buying his shirts and hats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKKYS9hRLU

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
10-16-2011, 11:36 PM
(10-16-2011 08:06 PM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  It seems like most of the open-wheeled fatalities I can think of in the last 10 years have been on ovals. But I am sure someone will correct me.
No, you're actually correct. Looking at Champ Car/Indy Car (1979 to present) there have been ten fataliteis. Two were on road courses. The other eight were ovals (four at Indy, one each at Milwaukee, California Speedway, Homestead and Las Vegas).

Formula One has had six deaths over that time, but of course F1 only uses road courses.

Madness has its toll.  Please have exact change.
10-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Im in shock, I follow F1 more but I have always liked Indy car especially the Indy 500 (I grew up in Indianapolis so I feel a special connection with that race) I feel very sad for Dan Weldon he was having a great year it is really just tragic
10-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Just read it now too. It seems like there were worries from the beginning. isn't there a safety regulator there? Does the FIA not reach across the atlantic?

Makes you question Interlagos this year though. I think there were two fatalities there recently.

Shame, as it seemed like an avoidable accident.

[Image: zsolt-baumgartner-minardi.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2011, 02:15 AM
the fia does not govern indycar. i assume they have their own safety standards, but there's always the pressure that the show must go on.
10-17-2011, 04:52 AM
This reminds us that motor racing isn't and will never be a safe sport. Those guys are still risking their lives up to 20 weekends per year, be it in F1, Indy, GP2, F2, WRC or MotoGP. Respect to all drivers/riders and R.I.P. for those who were in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
10-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Well, I think Motorsport in the past 20 years has had quite the minimal fatality considering other activities people get up to. Especially doing quite mundane activities.

What makes this sad is that the warning signs were there, so it was avoidable. It wasn't a freak accident like with Massa.

I would imagine super G skiing would be more dangerous than high level motorsports as really there's just aerodynamic cloth and helmet to protect you, while in F1 for example there is a ton of tests done on the machinery in the name of safety. Which is why Kubica could walk away from his Canadian GP crash, or webber from his Valencia Somersault.

[Image: zsolt-baumgartner-minardi.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2011, 07:51 AM
when you have something with wings running at 200mph+ on an track with a profile of a harrier jump jet launch ramp there has to be a chance that some of the cars are going to get airborne

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
10-17-2011, 07:58 AM
I have followed Indy racing since childhood. Safety is high at all Indy races. I don't have the information at hand, but I'm sure there have been more Indy race car crashes at nearly 200 mph where the driver has simply walked away. The other 14 drivers of this horrific crash survived. Like InterRaptor said, sometimes drivers are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
10-17-2011, 08:05 AM
The real tragic part of this crash was not only that poor Dan was in the wrong place at the wrong time but like Baumgartnerfan said the warning signs were there, correct me if i am wrong but i believe that some of the drivers had voiced there concerns about the speed of the track before the race. Its just so sad that at a time where safety standards are so high and these incidents much rarer, that such an incident would take the life of such a brilliant young driver :.(
10-17-2011, 08:12 AM
(10-16-2011 05:48 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcAZ7I_lk7M

Nasty, Anyone know how Dan Weldon is?
Dan is in hospital with "serious" injouries.

This is Will Powers car

[Image: 2a8hlw2.jpg]

Alex Lloyd's situation was not great for a time there - trapped in a car that was on fire - fortunately they put the fire out and got him out.
10-17-2011, 10:40 AM
(10-17-2011 07:10 AM)Baumgartnerfan Wrote:  Well, I think Motorsport in the past 20 years has had quite the minimal fatality considering other activities people get up to. Especially doing quite mundane activities.

What makes this sad is that the warning signs were there, so it was avoidable. It wasn't a freak accident like with Massa.

I would imagine super G skiing would be more dangerous than high level motorsports as really there's just aerodynamic cloth and helmet to protect you, while in F1 for example there is a ton of tests done on the machinery in the name of safety. Which is why Kubica could walk away from his Canadian GP crash, or webber from his Valencia Somersault.

I completely agree. this year in all forms of motor racing 3 people have been killed. But I can think of 3 crashes of the top of my head that 15 years ago would have been fatal.
10-17-2011, 11:24 AM
(10-17-2011 08:05 AM)Ponte92 Wrote:  The real tragic part of this crash was not only that poor Dan was in the wrong place at the wrong time but like Baumgartnerfan said the warning signs were there, correct me if i am wrong but i believe that some of the drivers had voiced there concerns about the speed of the track before the race. Its just so sad that at a time where safety standards are so high and these incidents much rarer, that such an incident would take the life of such a brilliant young driver :.(

ChampCar took a huge PR hit years ago when it called off a race at Texas Speedway over safety concerns. I don't know if the Las Vegas track and Texas are similar, but I think so. Indy Car had hyped this race as the season finale, the championship decider, and the $5 million bonus, so I'm sure they were reluctant to call it off.

I didn't watch the race from the beginning, but I had turned it on hoping to catch the ending and saw that the race had been stopped. I tried to go online to the Indy Car website to get updates and immediately saw the obit splash page.

I was really sad to hear Dan had a wife and 2 very young children (2 and under). I really feel for those kids that will never know their Dad.

10-17-2011, 03:09 PM
The issue at Texas was different. Texas being a big track (2.5 miles?) with high banking was generating high speeds and cornering forces that resulted in G-forces high enough that drivers were briefly blacking out during each lap (similar to early jet fighter pilots). They had no choice but to cancel the event.

Madness has its toll.  Please have exact change.
10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
has anyone heard what wheldon's actual cause of death was? brain trauma, blood loss, burns, etc.?
10-17-2011, 03:53 PM
(10-17-2011 03:38 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  has anyone heard what wheldon's actual cause of death was? brain trauma, blood loss, burns, etc.?

I have not heard any details. I am sure they will come out eventually. I'm sure the impact with the fence/wall was a tremendous G-force.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Indycar Engaging Fans, or Gimmick? Jackson 5 757 08-31-2015 12:06 AM
Last Post: Neonzapper
  JEV, Silvestro and Rossi Looking for seats in Indycar parrothead 0 500 12-02-2014 09:28 AM
Last Post: parrothead
  Baltimore Indycar 2013 eric4ok 8 1,592 09-14-2013 03:13 PM
Last Post: Neonzapper
  IndyCar - The Cartoon LappedTraffic 51 12,455 03-19-2012 07:17 AM
Last Post: chemics
  McLaren ECUs not working well in Indycar parrothead 0 805 02-25-2012 12:02 PM
Last Post: parrothead