Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
lapped traffic under safety car
12-13-2011, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2011 06:14 PM by InterRaptor.)
RE: lapped traffic under safety car
(12-13-2011 03:54 PM)bmw85 Wrote:  Also, you have the problem of where the passing will take place, which will be a little chaotic because two lanes will be needed, and the location of the passing cannot be decided in advance like DRS zones because it will depend on the location of the crash. There are plenty of smart people who can orchestrate this, but it provides opportunity for confusion and potential danger which is a big hurdle.

There has to be passing with the new rules too, as every lapped car will have to overtake the race leader plus any other car that has lapped them. Why should that cause less confusion and danger then having the lapped cars be overtaken?
Also, what about cars that are 2, 3 or 4 laps down? Do they get to unlap themselves 2, 3 or 4 times? And what happens if say 2 cars have been lapped once, another two twice, and the last car is 3 laps down? Now THAT will cause confusion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2011, 06:17 PM
(12-13-2011 04:45 PM)chemics Wrote:  I think Vettel rear ended Webber in the rain in Japan just before the re-start, either in 2007 or 2008 when he was at Torro Rosso.

MW in 2007:
Quote:It was clearly a lack of experience...it's the old thing in this game, small mistakes sometimes look massive and that was a small mistake on his side that looked an absolute howler.

[Image: sennmansjere1986.jpg]
"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.
- Murray Walker
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2011 06:45 PM by bmw85.)
(12-13-2011 06:09 PM)InterRaptor Wrote:  There has to be passing with the new rules too, as every lapped car will have to overtake the race leader plus any other car that has lapped them. Why should that cause less confusion and danger then having the lapped cars be overtaken?

Good point. That might cause more problems than having all the passes happen at once nice and orderly.

(12-13-2011 06:09 PM)InterRaptor Wrote:  Also, what about cars that are 2, 3 or 4 laps down? Do they get to unlap themselves 2, 3 or 4 times? And what happens if say 2 cars have been lapped once, another two twice, and the last car is 3 laps down? Now THAT will cause confusion.

No, I think unlapping once is good to get them out of the way of the frontrunners, but that's all the help they get. They can work out their own battles for 18th place after the restart. Are you asking what I think or what the rules actually state? That was just my opinion of how things should be, I'm not sure about the actual rule.
12-13-2011, 06:53 PM
No, they don;t get unlapped, they go to the back of the lead lap.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
12-14-2011, 06:04 AM
(12-13-2011 06:44 PM)bmw85 Wrote:  No, I think unlapping once is good to get them out of the way of the frontrunners, but that's all the help they get. They can work out their own battles for 18th place after the restart. Are you asking what I think or what the rules actually state? That was just my opinion of how things should be, I'm not sure about the actual rule.

I was in fact asking about the actual rule (not implying that your opinion is uninteresting). The reason I ask is the following:

If it is deemed a problem that the car in P2 has to overtake lapped cars between himself and P1, it should be just as much of a problem for the car in P13 to overtake lapped cars between him and P12.

So if P12 and P13 have been lapped and allowed to pass the lead car back to the end of the pack, cars in between those (e.g. P19, P20,...) should be directed to pass P12 (and P1 and so forth) and go to the back of the pack.

Not sure the way I wrote it makes sense...
12-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I can't find the 2012 sporting regs published yet, so all I have to go on is the quotes from various news sources. I'm not sure if this is the letter of the law or just a summary.

"Before the safety car returns to the pits all lapped cars will be allowed to unlap themselves and then join the back of the pack, ensuring a clean re-start without slower cars impeding those racing for the leading positions."

Lapped cars move through once and get to the back of the pack. It's about clearing the way for the leaders and not about getting everyone ordered again. So what Yaaay said.
12-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Hmmm, don't like it. It is giving an advantage to some cars and then (arbitrarily) deciding where the "leading positions" stop and having those lose out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  smart idea, Lola safety F1 concept tsarcasm 9 2,744 03-12-2010 05:55 AM
Last Post: Baumgartnerfan
  New Safety Car (inside) SLS AMG tsarcasm 8 2,050 03-03-2010 10:49 AM
Last Post: trickydicky
  FIA confirms new safety car rules Yaaay 6 1,505 01-28-2009 11:43 PM
Last Post: Buscabullas