Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2 more years for Loeb at Citroen
08-17-2011, 01:09 PM
2 more years for Loeb at Citroen
http://www.crash.net/world+rally/news/17...mpaign=rss

Wonder if he's aiming to sign off with 10 consecutive titles?!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
RE: 2 more years for Loeb at Citroen
i'm rather surprised by this. there have been more than a few moments this year where it looked like he had lost the fire. i thought he was going to go home to his family and work on le mans or something.
08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
(08-17-2011 01:51 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i'm rather surprised by this. there have been more than a few moments this year where it looked like he had lost the fire. i thought he was going to go home to his family and work on le mans or something.

I saw in a recent interview where he said he hadn't lost the desire to win. His performance in Finland certainly showed that as well. He just seems to know when to push hard and when to pace himself.

Hopefully they sort the stupid running order games out soon as well and it becomes a straight fight instead of the recent nonsense.
08-17-2011, 02:50 PM
yeah, I think we all hate the bullshit tactics that make day 1 nearly meaningless.
08-17-2011, 03:07 PM
I think they used to draw pegs from a bag for the top 10 at the end of each day once upon a time (day 1 was championship order as it is now). The leading driver got first pick, so it was entirely random. That seems fairer.
08-17-2011, 03:11 PM
i'd be okay with a random draw. i'd be okay with flipping the top 10 or 15. i'd be okay with having a quick drivers' meeting at the end of the day where the drivers essentially draft their spot in the order for the next day. anything to disincentivize the tactics.
08-17-2011, 03:26 PM
http://www.wrc.com/news/drivers-to-choos...?fid=14823

The 2012 rules on starting order are already sorted to fix the problem, I hadn't seen the announcement. Shakedown will now become qualifying for WRC cars, with the drivers getting to pick their road position in the order they qualify. At the end of each day the running order will be reversed so there is no incentive to slow down.

There is still a potential issue on tarmac rallies for days 2 & 3, as first on the road is preferable to getting put back to 15th, but it's less of an issue than on Gravel.
08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
i don't like treating shakedown as a qualifying session. that's asking for trouble. shakedown is supposed to be a cautious examination of the car. now they're trying to turn it into a competition.
08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
(08-17-2011 03:48 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i don't like treating shakedown as a qualifying session. that's asking for trouble. shakedown is supposed to be a cautious examination of the car. now they're trying to turn it into a competition.

Shakedown will still give them runs to set the car up and check it over. I just think there will be the additional element of a timed run to it.

I don't know if the timed runs are at the end or how it will work.

I like the idea of a qualification stage, it adds some excitement and stops the arbitrary punishment of the championship leader. It also avoids a random draw that has no bearing on driver skill. I would have no issue with it being an opening night Super Special for it though, then you can get a crowd in for it.
08-17-2011, 04:22 PM
a super special that matters? now you're just being silly.
08-18-2011, 08:15 AM
(08-17-2011 04:22 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  a super special that matters? now you're just being silly.

Heaven forbid!!

I have enjoyed the power stage this year, it has added an extra bit of excitement to a rally with the points for the top 3 and the balance between chasing the points and maintaining a safe position. Something like that for qualification would be good. Making a Super Special like that and televising it live would be good as a spectacle.

Plus quite a few rallies open with the Super Special on the Thursday night now anyway.
08-18-2011, 03:12 PM
i like the power stage in that it's a single stage that gets much better coverage. i like seeing a stage getting dissected like that.

i don't like the power stage in that it's worth separate points. i've never been a fan of extra points being tossed around like that. it's catering to the casual fans, which always bugs me.

i don't enjoy super specials - i find them boring - but i don't see any downside, so i don't mind them. the rally i go to every year does it at the end of each day. i like the idea of doing it on the night before the rally (and not again) better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Loeb makes it 7 in a row. chemics 12 2,712 10-18-2010 08:35 AM
Last Post: chemics
  Citroen DS3 launched chemics 2 819 09-30-2010 01:49 PM
  Loeb to retire after 2011 chemics 9 1,812 09-24-2010 08:12 AM
  Citroen announce 2011 driver lineup...Seb & Seb chemics 0 565 07-20-2010 01:36 PM
  Interview with Sebastian Loeb chemics 0 554 01-15-2010 04:02 PM