Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Robert Kubica
07-15-2011, 08:54 AM
RE: Robert Kubica
(07-14-2011 07:58 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  so what? unless he's planning to leave Renault, who cares if outsiders see him make a few mistakes?

Sponsors. Kubica is the big name in the team, if he turns up for a few Fridays this year and looks rubbish the sponsors that the team are talking to might not be so sure about backing the team. They want to see the car at the front, if the media start speculating that he isn't going to get back to his best that could put them off. From past reports Renault can't afford to loose any sponsors.

Also, if he comes back and wipes the floor with the existing drivers there may be external pressure to come back to racing before he is ready. That isn't good for him either.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Given the extent of his injuries and then length of time out you would have to assume it will take him a while to get back to his previous form - I wonder if however he will be given time if the car or his injuries have him mid pack or behind his team mate consistently.

I acknowledge that there are drivers who have successfully made come backs for example Niki Lauda but I would think this is the exception rather than the rule. Looking at Massa since his injury my perception is that he is not the same driver he was before the injury
07-15-2011, 12:42 PM
(07-15-2011 11:53 AM)Koala Wrote:  Given the extent of his injuries and then length of time out you would have to assume it will take him a while to get back to his previous form - I wonder if however he will be given time if the car or his injuries have him mid pack or behind his team mate consistently.

I acknowledge that there are drivers who have successfully made come backs for example Niki Lauda but I would think this is the exception rather than the rule. Looking at Massa since his injury my perception is that he is not the same driver he was before the injury

Hopefully pre-season testing is sufficient time to get back to something like his best.

I wonder how much having a young family has slowed Massa after his accident. It must make you take a step back and think about things when you get that close to killing yourself.
08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Update on Kubica's recovery

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/171881/1/ku...mpaign=rss
08-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Take your time recovering Robert.
This year's Renault is a death trap.
Just ask your pal Nick.

[Image: rpm_g_wheldon01jr_288.jpg]
08-06-2011, 04:32 PM
This is an afforded time for Renault to test the abilities of other drivers in live F1 racing. Unless they completely dazzle Renault, I suspect it's still Robert Kubica's ride when he is ready to return.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
08-06-2011, 05:06 PM
He might as well wait for the Ferrari seat. No point returning to the flaming slow ones.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
08-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I really can't see Kubica going straight to a seat a Ferrari - it would have to be a risk that he is going to take time to get competitive again if in fact he does manage to get back to where he was. Why would Ferrari take the risk?
08-06-2011, 11:20 PM
because an off-the-pace kubica is still better than massa?
08-07-2011, 01:21 AM
(08-06-2011 11:20 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  because an off-the-pace kubica is still better than massa?

A brave call given we have not seen the extent of Kubica's recovery yet. For example as reported by Crashnet

Even if his badly-injured right arm will 'probably never recover entirely', claims a report, Lotus Renault GP star Robert Kubica has now regained movement in all-bar his middle finger

Who knows if he will be better than Massa when he comes back - I still believe that Ferrari have better driver options than an returning Kubica that present less uncertainty.
08-07-2011, 02:08 AM
if he's fit enough to drive (meaning both fia medical clearance and kubica's own satisfaction), i'd take him over massa.

of course, i would change my mind if i were to learn that kubica doesn't adhere to team strategy, but i've never known him to be such a diva.
08-07-2011, 02:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2011 02:36 AM by Baumgartnerfan.)
(08-07-2011 02:08 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  if he's fit enough to drive (meaning both fia medical clearance and kubica's own satisfaction), i'd take him over massa.

of course, i would change my mind if i were to learn that kubica doesn't adhere to team strategy, but i've never known him to be such a diva.

You should have seen some of his quotes at BMW during his last two seasons there complaining about Dr Mario's decisions. Mainly about developing the car, and how he thought they werethinking too much of next years car while fighting forbthevchampionship. Then when said car was crap. Though it was doing well in Melbourne until it crashed.

I rate him as a driver, and he's Polish so I there's some patriotism on my side there. He has shown Diva mentality though.
(08-07-2011 01:21 AM)Koala Wrote:  Even if his badly-injured right arm will 'probably never recover entirely', claims a report, Lotus Renault GP star Robert Kubica has now regained movement in all-bar his middle finger

Who knows if he will be better than Massa when he comes back - I still believe that Ferrari have better driver options than an returning Kubica that present less uncertainty.

What's he going to show if he's angry at someone, or a back marker is holding him back?

[Image: zsolt-baumgartner-minardi.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2011, 02:50 AM
(08-07-2011 02:34 AM)Baumgartnerfan Wrote:  
(08-07-2011 02:08 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  if he's fit enough to drive (meaning both fia medical clearance and kubica's own satisfaction), i'd take him over massa.

You should have seen some of his quotes at BMW during his last two seasons there complaining about Dr Mario's decisions. Mainly about developing the car, and how he thought they werethinking too much of next years car while fighting forbthevchampionship. Then when said car was crap. Though it was doing well in Melbourne until it crashed.

hmm. that is a good point, and now that you mention it, it does sound familiar.

i find myself discounting the sin of airing dirty laundry in the media like that with the fact that he was so right. mario had no clue what he was doing. to combine the sauber operation with bmw money and kubica driving, they should have achieved so much more. but that doesn't excuse it.

has there been any similar behavior at renault that i'm forgetting? perhaps he's matured. of course, being paired with fernando at ferrari would certainly be more stimulus than he was receiving at renault. it's all speculation, but my gut tells me it could work, at least for a couple years.
08-07-2011, 03:38 AM
The only complaint I can think of at Renault was about Vitaly. I think he made some comment about him bringing in all the points and Vitaly being so behind and because of him they couldn't really chase Mercedes. Which is a fair point.

Other than that he usually said good things.

I can't think of any drivers though without a Diva moment. Ricciardo is too new to comment, and Kobayashi is Japanese.

08-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Even if Kubica recovers completely, he will still only be number 2 at Ferrari. I don't believe he will accept that at this point of his career, particularly after having been number one at Renault. If he sees a remote chance of Renault giving him a race/championship winning car in the next few years, he won't go to Ferrari where he knows he would only be allowed to win when Nando is out of the race.
08-13-2011, 11:37 PM
(08-07-2011 05:12 AM)InterRaptor Wrote:  Even if Kubica recovers completely, he will still only be number 2 at Ferrari. I don't believe he will accept that at this point of his career, particularly after having been number one at Renault. If he sees a remote chance of Renault giving him a race/championship winning car in the next few years, he won't go to Ferrari where he knows he would only be allowed to win when Nando is out of the race.
It's the truth, isn't it. It's all about the points.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
09-14-2011, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2011 02:11 AM by frankdouglason.)
strange goings on here today.
09-14-2011, 08:37 AM
(09-14-2011 01:08 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  strange goings on here today.

Maybe I'm missing something, what do you mean?
09-14-2011, 09:11 AM
I did wonder but dare not ask.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
09-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Care to comment further?

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
09-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes, I'm also curios. What's so strange?

09-14-2011, 01:46 PM
a regular forum member posted a rather crazy status update on mr. kubica's recovery. i expressed my disbelief, and about an hour later, the post had been deleted. so i modified my post to what it says now.
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM
what was the post? rumours he'll be able to drive in October. Not specifically F1, just basically drive. So i think he might do what schumi did before his return and do GP2 or WRS car tests to get up to speed.

09-14-2011, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2011 08:50 PM by leonbray.)
I posted a rumour purported to be from Mika Salo - that Kubica had lost a thumb and fingers (Google Mika Salo Kubica - was reported in other sources but has been deleted from most)

Quote: Finnish ex-F1 driver Mika Salo says Robert Kubica has a thumb missing from his other hand. Salo met the doctrors on other race series, and the doctors told it will be hard for Kubica to continue racing, but the doctors are doing their best.

- On our last days Kubica's doctors were responsible about our things. They said they believe he will not drive much anymore. He is on a bad situation, that there are fingers missing - a thumb is missing from his other hand, Mika Salo told on MTV3 during Free Practice sessions at friday.

- They believe he is not able to drive on the professional side anymore. But the doctors are still trying and they are doing their best.

Subsequently found out it was inaccurate so I deleted the post

Quote:Elsewhere, former racer Mika Salo has denied rumours that Kubica may have lost his right thumb and that a return to F1 will not be possible. Having been quoted in the Finnish media in relation to a TV commentary at Spa, Salo has explained to GPUpdate.net that the information published was inaccurate.

Hope this clears it up

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
09-14-2011, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2011 08:47 PM by frankdouglason.)
the post was that he was missing a thumb. so you can see how i would consider that outlandish. i'm very intrigued by what happened, exactly. a drunk post, a regretted joke, a roommate's prank, a hack, etc. i don't know. i regret not quoting it for posterity.

edit: ah, mystery solved. thanks for clearing the air, leonbray! i was beginning to wonder if i had dreamed the whole thing. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  what ever happened to bob kubica? frankdouglason 20 4,570 03-15-2012 10:49 AM
Last Post: chemics
  Drivers wish Kubica a speedy recovery InterRaptor 7 1,651 03-03-2011 10:51 PM
Last Post: leadfoot
  Who replaces Kubica? cozmoose 73 18,650 02-18-2011 08:19 PM
Last Post: MadManMotors
  Kubica injured in rallye accident InterRaptor 67 15,043 02-13-2011 09:08 PM
Last Post: Miguel