Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Start line crash at Barbagallo V8
05-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Start line crash at Barbagallo V8
Do these things have regular fuel tanks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFG05xRM8Qw

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 08:38 AM
RE: Start line crash at Barbagallo V8
They have safety fuel cells. The accident ruptured the tank and the firewall between the trunk / boot and the cabin. They showed pictures of the mess during race coverage and the bladder and the foam from inside the bladder were clearly visible. Both drivers were very lucky

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
05-01-2011, 09:54 AM
wow. That's amazing no one was hurt.

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
05-01-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm sure the drivers are very happy to have been in tin top cars and not Formula One or the like.
05-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Heard the guy interviewed on the radio this afternoon - he suffered a slight burn to one hand
05-02-2011, 10:22 AM
That was a big accident, really lucky to get out with just a slight burn, he took a bit of time to get out of the car so was very lucky.
05-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Little bit more than slight burns

http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2011/05/02/k...or-winton/

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
05-07-2011, 07:10 AM
The fuel must have splashed over him and into his gloves. He was furiously shaking his hands when got out of the car. From next year the fuel cell will be mounted forward of the rear axle exactly for this reason. Maybe they should make the fuel cells out of automotive window glass - the rear windscreen didn't smash, either from the immediate impact or when the rear of the car returned to Earth. If you go this clip, from 9m30s it shows a look at the car inside the garage, the driver's suit after the event and vision from inside the cars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suGb9EyiEnI&NR=1 )

Motorsport is a funny old thing: this car is from a 3-car team. One of their driver's, who's super-fit, has a rare form of cancer and is now in the US undergoing experimental treatment. This crash destroyed a car, which would have made them wonder "Why us?" The team has never won a race. On the re-start, the remaining 2 cars finished 1st and 3rd, with the 3rd place car being driven for the absent/ill driver. For the replacement driver it was his first podium since 2004. A lot can happen in motor racing within an hour.

(I've been studying, away in Sydney with my kids, other out-of-work commitments, so I didn't watch the races live. I watched them over a few nights through the week. Normally I would have had a wrap of the V8's after the races.)

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver