Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MotoGP - Spain
04-03-2011, 10:29 AM
MotoGP - Spain
The addage of "to be first, first you must finish" was left in the motorhomes of quite a few riders.

It also helps to know who your friends are. No-one expects your rival to help you, but you might expect one of the seven track marshalls to give you a hand in restarting the race, rather than having them gravitating to the rider who took you out.

Rossi was in perfect showmanship heading down to the Honda garage to apologise. Casey had the line of the weekend to Rossi "Ambition outweighed talent" directly to the face of Rossi. (Don't mention the 9 world titles or the time Casey highsided on the warmup lap).

The World Champ rode like one today. 2 locals on the podium is great for fans, especially for spending the day in the rain. There's only one other race I can think of where the Head of State presents the winners trophy.

Spies is closing in on a win.

By the way, if the girls on the podium were in blue, they'd look like Avatars.

Estoril will be a great battle.

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2011, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2011 02:36 PM by Yaaay.)
RE: MotoGP - Spain
I didn't see this race, what happened?
Ah, I just read the report.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90428

His grapes were soured.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
04-03-2011, 02:49 PM
(04-03-2011 02:33 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I didn't see this race, what happened?
Ah, I just read the report.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90428

His grapes were soured.

I saw that bit of the race and in all honesty (and I'm a big Rossi fan) the marshals were far more concerned with getting Rossi back up and running than with Stoner. His grapes may be sour but it matches what I saw.
Let me also point out, big Rossi fan that I am, that Rossi went straight to the Honda garage to apologize to Stoner.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
04-04-2011, 04:16 AM
Rossi was trapped under the bike, so it's reasonable that the marshals helped him first. Anyway even if they had helped Stoner first he was destined to retire anyway.

[Image: PzKpfwVI.png]
04-04-2011, 11:00 AM
The Marshalls number 1 priority is rider safety, so Rossi was always going to be first to get help being trapped under the bikes. After that they were completely out of order not giving Stoner a push. I think Stoner was probably still upset when he made his comments to Rossi, or maybe his ambition outweighted his talent on multiple occasions over the last two years when he kept loosing the front. It was unfortunate, but it was a racing incident and when riders are on the limit in tricky conditions things like that happen. It's not like Rossi was the only person who fell off.

Reading the Autosport report it sounds like the Honda is hard to re-start. I'm sure I saw others get going again with one person pushing. Casey says something about the marshalls pushing him over the hill to get going again, that just doesn't sound safe. I would have expected more of them to try and get Stoner going again, but you can;t expect them to be running far up the track when a race is in progress.
04-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Rossi should not have attempted that pass. That looked a lot like a sato move. He was really far back and considering how much faster he was then anyone else, in another lap he would have had him and probably could have won the race. Oh well... I still really enjoyed the race.

The true untold history about F1...
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/F1#Modern_F1
04-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Stoner isn't the only rider pissed at the lack of help from the marshals, Simoncelli was vocal as well. And Simoncelli went off leading!
04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
(04-04-2011 01:46 PM)jccaruso Wrote:  Rossi should not have attempted that pass. That looked a lot like a sato move. He was really far back and considering how much faster he was then anyone else, in another lap he would have had him and probably could have won the race. Oh well... I still really enjoyed the race.

20/20 hindsight is wonderful, especially when you are sliding down the road on your arse. I think he was just too hot into the corner, I don't know if it was intended as a pass or not. But once you brake late you are committed. Either way he was on the limit and didn't know how long his tyres would last, sometimes you just have to get on with it and get the hammer down. This time he got it wrong. It's just a racing incident. I think even Rossi is allowed the occasional rush of blood to the head.
04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I saw a tweet from Dennis Noyes this morning that said Rossi's engine was still running when the Marshals helped pick his bike up, which is the main reason he got going again. Stoners wasn't. He also made the comment that it isn't the marshals job to get riders going again, just to make sure they are safe in the event of an accident. He said he had seen marshals killed and injured a lot in similar situations and they are all volunteers, so taking extra time to give riders an extended push is definitely not in their job description.

I still think they appeared to help Rossi more than Stoner, but I think Rossi would have got going again even with the same help as Stoner got if his bike was still running.
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
(04-04-2011 01:46 PM)jccaruso Wrote:  Rossi should not have attempted that pass. That looked a lot like a sato move. He was really far back and considering how much faster he was then anyone else, in another lap he would have had him and probably could have won the race. Oh well... I still really enjoyed the race.

He admitted he didn't try to pass, he missed his braking point and was trying to avoid crashing into Stoner when he lost the front.

Ad Astra Per Audacia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  MotoGP 2017 chemics 5 194 04-13-2017 12:06 PM
Last Post: chemics
  MotoGP 2014 chemics 5 988 08-31-2014 12:28 PM
Last Post: Miguel
  MotoGP 2012 chemics 13 2,510 05-08-2012 07:57 AM
Last Post: chemics
  MotoGP riders cars chemics 4 2,699 09-08-2011 08:38 AM