Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MotoGP - Season opener
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
MotoGP - Season opener
Firstly, I'm so happy to be watching racing again! With Australia next weekend, life is good once again.

Interesting race yesterday. Stoner is going to be VERY hard to beat this year. That honda is easy to ride and especially when compared to the Ducati, he must feel like he's not even trying. However, by far my favorite move of the race was when Spied out braked himself into turn 1 over Rossi. The rotors were glowing as he tried to control the bike. Actually the slomo show really showed how late Spies was in grabbing his brake. Really cool stuff.

However, i was somewhat disappointed in Rossi and VERY disappointed in Hayden. This is his 3rd year on the Ducati and is doing nothing. If he doesn’t get on with it, i would be surprised if he stays with the team next year.

The true untold history about F1...
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/F1#Modern_F1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
RE: MotoGP - Season opener
(03-21-2011 10:16 AM)jccaruso Wrote:  Firstly, I'm so happy to be watching racing again! With Australia next weekend, life is good once again.

Interesting race yesterday. Stoner is going to be VERY hard to beat this year. That honda is easy to ride and especially when compared to the Ducati, he must feel like he's not even trying. However, by far my favorite move of the race was when Spied out braked himself into turn 1 over Rossi. The rotors were glowing as he tried to control the bike. Actually the slomo show really showed how late Spies was in grabbing his brake. Really cool stuff.

However, i was somewhat disappointed in Rossi and VERY disappointed in Hayden. This is his 3rd year on the Ducati and is doing nothing. If he doesn’t get on with it, i would be surprised if he stays with the team next year.

I haven't watched the races yet as I went out last night, but I am very glad to have racing on again.

I'm not surprised by Rossi at all, the bike still isn't where it needs to be and neither is he. He said all along that his shoulder isn't strong enough yet, especially at the end of the race, so he was always going to struggle. He'll get there, but I think it's going to be too late for a title challenge with the speed Honda already have. I'm amazed nobody ever thought of using a seamless shift before to be honest, I guess they all thought it was outlawed with double clutches until someone read the rules a little more closely. The experts seem to think that alone is worth 0.1s a lap, which is huge at the front.

I think Hayden is a bit of a let down, but I'm not sure he will go anywhere just yet. He is a good development rider and he will work well with Rossi. If the bike changes enough he should also get the results. If he doesn't then I wouldn't be surprised to see Barbera step up to take his place. He didn't get the best result by the look of it, but he was fast all weekend, so he looks like he is getting the hand of the Ducati.

I've heard that Ducati have very much been about the engineers rather than the riders in the past, so they haven't listened as much as they should/could have. Especially when Stoner was winning anyway. That should change now, they can't ignore Burgess/Rossi. It's just a matter of how fast they can fix the bike. I think the big thing will be 2012 though, with Rossi on board early they will definitely make sure that bike is exactly what he wants.
03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
(03-21-2011 10:16 AM)jccaruso Wrote:  Stoner is going to be VERY hard to beat this year. That honda is easy to ride and especially when compared to the Ducati, he must feel like he's not even trying.

Even more when compared to his outing at the same venue last year.

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
(03-21-2011 10:41 AM)Original JB Wrote:  
(03-21-2011 10:16 AM)jccaruso Wrote:  Stoner is going to be VERY hard to beat this year. That honda is easy to ride and especially when compared to the Ducati, he must feel like he's not even trying.

Even more when compared to his outing at the same venue last year.

He crashed in the lead last year with a front end wash out, which is a constant problem for the Ducati even this year, Stoner suffered more than most as he pushed so much harder than the other riders on the same bike. No such issues for the Honda though, I think this year will be a walkover for him.
03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
(03-21-2011 12:33 PM)chemics Wrote:  He crashed in the lead last year with a front end wash out, which is a constant problem for the Ducati even this year, Stoner suffered more than most as he pushed so much harder than the other riders on the same bike. No such issues for the Honda though, I think this year will be a walkover for him.

I do as well.

I agree, that i think Rossi will have a better command of the Ducati by mid year but that will be too late. Next year will be really exciting when they 1000's are out there. Also, i hope more teams join. It would be nice to see 24 bikes take the green. Figure if 4 drop out every race, that still leaves a pretty good field.

The true untold history about F1...
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/F1#Modern_F1
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
I think next year will have a bigger grid as long as the Flamini brothers don't ruin it by kicking off about it being too close to WSBK with production based engines for the CRT teams.

I think some private teams already have bikes in development (Suter definitely have as it;s already done some running), so there should be some privateers to increase the numbers. It will be interesting to see what happens in year 2 as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams wait a year to see how the privateers do and then look to buy a chassis and build an engine. That would probably suit someone like Ten Kate that are more focussed on engines and electronics than full chassis building, it would also keep costs even lower if several teams were effectively funding development of the chassis as customers.
03-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Looks like Casey got straight down to business on his new Honda - hopefully it will be a bounce back season after last years disappointment.
03-22-2011, 05:09 AM
I thought that Lorenzo had a fantastic race and was much closer to the Honda's at a track where his Yamaha was expected to finish 4th at best.
Jerez should be interesting as it places a premium on handling over brute power.

[Image: PzKpfwVI.png]
03-22-2011, 08:19 AM
(03-22-2011 05:09 AM)Iceman Wrote:  I thought that Lorenzo had a fantastic race and was much closer to the Honda's at a track where his Yamaha was expected to finish 4th at best.
Jerez should be interesting as it places a premium on handling over brute power.

Unfortunately I think the Honda doesn't handle too badly either. Casey said after the race that he didn't go flat out at the start as he is still getting used to the bike. Once he got comfortable he put the hammer down and cleared off. Hopefully the Yamaha is competitive though, a good battle will keep it interesting. I think Yamaha are already working on the seamless shift gearbox to catch up on that, so hopefully that doesn't take too long.

It will be even better if Spies can get in at the front as well and take points from Stoner. I don't think the other Honda's will, Dovi isn't fast enough and Dani seems to be struggling with his arm over race distance.
03-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Opening laps were great, so was the Spies/Rossi battle. Motorsports is back!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Well i've been a bit away from MotoGP and now i'm back, so i watched the race yesterday and i think it was great. The battle between Stoner, Lorenzo and Pedroza was great, although in some part of the race Stoner just went away.

I think that maybe Pedroza pushed a bit too hard because in the end he lost place to Lorenzo and Dovizioso was getting close, maybe 1 or 2 laps more and Pedroza would have lost 3rd place.

About Rossi and what i've heard about the commentators (that have a bit more experience in MotoGP than me, but just a little bit Big Grin) the result wasn't so bad, with the shoulder problem and the Ducati, it was a nice result and we should forget that Rossi almost lost the control of the bike when Spies passed him.

So i'm anxious to see the next race and if the Honda can continue with so much speed, we just have to look the battle between Pedroza and Lorenzo in this last race, Pedroza smoked a few times Lorenzo.
03-27-2011, 03:03 PM
(03-26-2011 02:35 PM)migchaos Wrote:  Well i've been a bit away from MotoGP and now i'm back, so i watched the race yesterday and i think it was great. The battle between Stoner, Lorenzo and Pedroza was great, although in some part of the race Stoner just went away.

I think that maybe Pedroza pushed a bit too hard because in the end he lost place to Lorenzo and Dovizioso was getting close, maybe 1 or 2 laps more and Pedroza would have lost 3rd place.

About Rossi and what i've heard about the commentators (that have a bit more experience in MotoGP than me, but just a little bit Big Grin) the result wasn't so bad, with the shoulder problem and the Ducati, it was a nice result and we should forget that Rossi almost lost the control of the bike when Spies passed him.

So i'm anxious to see the next race and if the Honda can continue with so much speed, we just have to look the battle between Pedroza and Lorenzo in this last race, Pedroza smoked a few times Lorenzo.

Pedrosa dropped off because of his arm injury. It was the first time he had done a full race distance with it since last year. It causes a loss of sensation in the arm and he looses strength. I think it just needs tie to heal like Rossi.

If you like the MotoGP racing you should also check out the Moto2, there are some fantastic battles in that class.
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
(03-27-2011 03:03 PM)chemics Wrote:  ...

If you like the MotoGP racing you should also check out the Moto2, there are some fantastic battles in that class.

I'm trying to download both Moto2 and 125cc races, because i know Moto2 have great battles in the track and in the 125cc there's a portuguese rookie so i want to watch this season.

About Pedroza i didn't know about the injury, in the first part of the race he looked really wealthy.
03-27-2011, 06:54 PM
(03-27-2011 04:53 PM)migchaos Wrote:  

I'm trying to download both Moto2 and 125cc races, because i know Moto2 have great battles in the track and in the 125cc there's a portuguese rookie so i want to watch this season.

About Pedroza i didn't know about the injury, in the first part of the race he looked really wealthy.

Even he didn't know it hadn't healed fully, it was a remnant from his big crash last year when he broke his collar bone I think. He didn't manage any full race simulations in testing so never fully tried it out. I think it was a bit of a surprise when it happened. Until it started he was able to ride as normal, but your shoulder is really important for turning the bike, so it is a massive thing to not be 100%. That also why Rossi can't ride through his injury, it's not a pain issue it's just weakness.
03-27-2011, 08:22 PM
(03-27-2011 06:54 PM)chemics Wrote:  
(03-27-2011 04:53 PM)migchaos Wrote:  

Even he didn't know it hadn't healed fully, it was a remnant from his big crash last year when he broke his collar bone I think. He didn't manage any full race simulations in testing so never fully tried it out. I think it was a bit of a surprise when it happened. Until it started he was able to ride as normal, but your shoulder is really important for turning the bike, so it is a massive thing to not be 100%. That also why Rossi can't ride through his injury, it's not a pain issue it's just weakness.

Yeah the commentators told about the injury of Rossi so he did get a nice result, i was suprised to see he manage to secure the bike when he was being passed by Spies, i think Rossi in that situation had some real pain.
03-29-2011, 10:05 AM
http://motocuatro.com/index.php/news/not...to-a-jerez

The article is in Spanish, but it looks like Dani may need further surgery and a long recovery to fix his arm problems, not good.
03-29-2011, 02:26 PM
That's not really good, because he can put a fight in MotoGP, let's see what happens.

I saw today the 125cc and Moto2 and it was crazy, lol, so many bikes that it's hard to pass the first corners without having an accident. They had great fights but just for 2nd position and lower (in both races), so that way the 1st place just open the gap to the others, i hope next time the fight will be for 1st place.

About the portuguese driver, they say he's a potencial start in 125cc, that in Europe he can make some great results, hope that, but for now, in the first race in 125cc, he had a 10th place, not bad at all Smile
03-29-2011, 04:18 PM
10th is pretty good, it suggests either he's a really good rider on an average bike or he's on a decent bike and didn't know the track, which would explain the comments about European results.

125cc racing depends too much on having the right Aprilia to be able to win. Hopefully the Moto3 class will put that right.

I hope Moto2 is closer when things get going, a runaway winner is no fun at all. I think the night race is a bit of an anomaly as it throws up some strange conditions.
03-29-2011, 08:06 PM
(03-29-2011 04:18 PM)chemics Wrote:  10th is pretty good, it suggests either he's a really good rider on an average bike or he's on a decent bike and didn't know the track, which would explain the comments about European results.

125cc racing depends too much on having the right Aprilia to be able to win. Hopefully the Moto3 class will put that right.

I hope Moto2 is closer when things get going, a runaway winner is no fun at all. I think the night race is a bit of an anomaly as it throws up some strange conditions.

Yes i agree, night race isn't the best to know which are the best drivers in 125cc, i hope that in moto2 and 125cc is more competitive for 1st place, not so crushing as it was in this round. Maybe they can shift one place to bring the fight for the 1st place.
Let's see how goes Spain, that will give a view of what Europe races will be, of course with the change of the development of the bikes.
03-30-2011, 09:04 AM
(03-29-2011 08:06 PM)migchaos Wrote:  
(03-29-2011 04:18 PM)chemics Wrote:  10th is pretty good, it suggests either he's a really good rider on an average bike or he's on a decent bike and didn't know the track, which would explain the comments about European results.

Yes i agree, night race isn't the best to know which are the best drivers in 125cc, i hope that in moto2 and 125cc is more competitive for 1st place, not so crushing as it was in this round. Maybe they can shift one place to bring the fight for the 1st place.
Let's see how goes Spain, that will give a view of what Europe races will be, of course with the change of the development of the bikes.

I don't think every race will be like this, but I do think 125cc will be a one sided championship. Moto2 should be closer as it was last year. I just think Elias won with a more consistent approach and a quick start which he gained from all him MotoGP experience while the other riders got used to 4 stroke bikes.
03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm anxious to this weekend, i don't know a lot of the drivers in Moto2 and 125cc and which are the main contenders, so watching this races is helping me to learn a bit and of course is a lot of fun. At MotoGP i already have a clue, although i want to see if Rossi and Ducati can do some better results.
03-30-2011, 10:19 AM
(03-30-2011 10:09 AM)migchaos Wrote:  I'm anxious to this weekend, i don't know a lot of the drivers in Moto2 and 125cc and which are the main contenders, so watching this races is helping me to learn a bit and of course is a lot of fun. At MotoGP i already have a clue, although i want to see if Rossi and Ducati can do some better results.

I always keep an eye on Scott Redding in Moto2, he is British which is the main reason, but he should also be a title contender. He is looking like a really good prospect for the future as well. He is the youngest ever winner of a 125cc race and is the youngest ever rider on a podium in 250cc/Moto2. I think Ducati are starting to show some interest in him as well, which is no bad thing.

Other than that just look at last years title result and watch out for the top 5/6 riders, plus Keenan Sofuoglu who was the WSS champ last year and had a good couple of wildcard rides at the end of the year. Andrea Iannone is another name that springs to mind, he changed chassis this season, so is still getting up to speed, but he is very quick. His team is new this year and built around him with some help/influence from Rossi (via his best mate so it's not official). I think he will be near the front sooner rather than later.

125cc is usually all about the Aspar team, I think their riders took 3 of the top 4 spots last year.
04-02-2011, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2011 11:12 AM by migchaos.)
Today i remember to look for some streaming of the qualifying of all the classes, but i was a bit late for 125cc, just getting the last 10 minutes.

So for 125cc, the first two places went Cortese and Terol, in the last round Terol was ahead of Cortese in both qualy and race, so i think we will have a fight for first place in the race. Vasquez got 4th place, he finished 4th in the first round so if he can make a good start maybe he will be in the fight for first place too. About Gadea, that finish 3rd place in the last round, he will start at 11th place, so he will have a lot to do if he want to get another podium.
About hte portuguese driver, i was expecting a great qualy, because in the practice in the morning he got 3rd place, but in the qualy he manage 8th place, which is a good since he is a rookie and he qualified ahead of his teammate Moncayo (qualified at 10th place), but with the morning practice i was seeing a greater qualy, oh well the race will be better Smile.

Now for the MotoGP i've watched all the qualy. For a long time Lorenzo had the pole but in the end Stoner got the pole and behind is Pedrosa, so Repsol Honda got the 1-2 in the qualy again. Lorenzo was not too far behind so i can see a fight between this 3 drivers in the race. But Yamaha Factor Racing got a 3-4 since Spies got the 4th place in qualy but with more tha 0.6s from the pole, i think that maybe he will try to keep with the 3 faster drivers in the beggining of the race, but don't think he will manage to keep pace.
The suprise for me was De Puniet, Loris Capirossi team mate, he got 7th place and looked fast.
Aoyama and Rossi were having a good qualy, they were in the top 10 but both had accidents and had to get the reserve bike and i think that decline they times, also Aoyama was having some complains about his leg that got a bump from the rear tyre of his bike. Just one last note Toni Elias is having a hard start in MotoGP, i hope he can improve his results quickly.

For Moto2, again Bradl got the pole, let's see if he can also get the second win in this championship. Behind is Takahashi, Luthi and Marquez, this can be a good fight for 1st place, they just have to keep the pace of Bradl because, although Takahashi was 0.28s behind, Luthi and Marquez were were 0.58s and 0.62s behind and that shows a bigger gap between them. I will take a closer look to De Angelis that made a nice race in Qatar and specially Iannone, because last round he had an amazing recover in the race and in this round he will start at 11th, so let's see if he can catch the front drivers.

Don't know if i can see the tomorrow races but i will get them somehow and watch this great races.
04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Rossi is testing so much that his number two bike was set up completely different to his number 1, so he couldn't improve in qualifying, 10th for him is a disaster. De Puniet is a really good rider and he seems to have worked out how not to crash. He was fast on the Honda last year as well until he broke his leg.

Elias is a disaster, he rides in a completely different style to anyone else and he can;t get heat into the tyres, so he has no grip. He had the same issue before he went back to Moto2 last year. I don't think he will even finish the season if he can't sort it out soon. LCR ran De Puniet last year with a lot of success, so it isn't the team that doesn't have the ability.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  MotoGP 2017 chemics 5 151 04-13-2017 12:06 PM
Last Post: chemics
  MotoGP 2014 chemics 5 965 08-31-2014 12:28 PM
Last Post: Miguel
  MotoGP 2012 chemics 13 2,470 05-08-2012 07:57 AM
  MotoGP riders cars chemics 4 2,673 09-08-2011 08:38 AM