Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2011 WSBK Season
02-20-2011, 06:14 PM
2011 WSBK Season
One week until the start of the new season. Can't wait to see some real racing (NASCAR and the travesty called the Grand Am most certainly do not count).

Personally, I am anxious to see how Eugene Laverty does on the Yamaha (supposedly the bike was difficult to ride last year, but I was never a huge Cal Crutchlow fan so I guess we'll see how Eugene and Melandri do this year).

Will Haga be more consistent and be able to qualify better this year on the Aprilia?

Do BMW get a win this year?

Does Kawasaki stop being a total joke?

In Supersport, I would love to see Gino Rea win it all, but I don't think he has the equipment to do it; Sam Lowes is probably the favorite, but I don't know as much about the new crop of riders there.

Should be an interesting season, and I hope the American television coverage improves, but with Speed in the US, I doubt it and will probably have to search out better coverage on the internet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2011, 09:12 AM
RE: 2011 WSBK Season
I'm really looking forward to WSBK & WSS this year. I don't think you should underestimate Chaz Davies this year now he has the Yamaha, he was instantly fast, so he should be up right there.

I don't know what the US coverage is like but in Canada it's a joke. I don't think we get WSS at all and WSBK is always tape delayed. I usually find it on RU before it's on TV.

I think Kawasaki will be a lot better this year, Tom Sykes has been setting good time in practice, so hopefully that translates into the races. Chris Vermuellen has just announced his knee isn't recovered enough to start the first round though. It will be interesting to see if he comes back with nay real pace and manages to stay fit. this has been a huge recovery for him.

I think Laverty will go really well on the Yamaha this year, he is a fantastic rider and I think he'll do better than Crutchlow, he seems to be a lot more intelligent as a rider than Cruthlow so he should hopefully find more consistency rather than being all or nothing. I also think this could be Johnny Rea's year before going to MotoGP when the 1000's come back in 2012, he has the speed, he just needs to calm down a bit.
02-22-2011, 11:31 PM
RU? What's that?

Also, just saw that Jonathan Rea was in a big crash and might not be ready for the race. Yikes. Terrible way to start the year.
02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Racing Underground

I think Rea will race, it's just a matter of how hard he can push.
02-26-2011, 05:15 PM
(02-21-2011 09:12 AM)chemics Wrote:  I'm really looking forward to WSBK & WSS this year. I don't think you should underestimate Chaz Davies this year now he has the Yamaha, he was instantly fast, so he should be up right there.

I don't know what the US coverage is like but in Canada it's a joke. I don't think we get WSS at all and WSBK is always tape delayed. I usually find it on RU before it's on TV.

I think Kawasaki will be a lot better this year, Tom Sykes has been setting good time in practice, so hopefully that translates into the races. Chris Vermuellen has just announced his knee isn't recovered enough to start the first round though. It will be interesting to see if he comes back with nay real pace and manages to stay fit. this has been a huge recovery for him.

I think Laverty will go really well on the Yamaha this year, he is a fantastic rider and I think he'll do better than Crutchlow, he seems to be a lot more intelligent as a rider than Cruthlow so he should hopefully find more consistency rather than being all or nothing. I also think this could be Johnny Rea's year before going to MotoGP when the 1000's come back in 2012, he has the speed, he just needs to calm down a bit.
In US, Speed has same day coverage and Supersport is aired on tuesday....which means I'll be watching livestream.

Is Chaz competing in WSB or WSS?

Yamaha SB seat is the ticket to motogp. (see Spies and Crutchlow)
If Eugene does well, I expect him to move up Tech 3 next year.

[Image: rpm_g_wheldon01jr_288.jpg]
02-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Chaz is in WSS, he had terrible luck, he was fighting for the win and got a puncture and his team mate went on to win. It was really poor, in a field of 22 riders 3 got punctures including 2 of the top 7 that were fighting for the win. That is unacceptable with a control tyre.

Eugene went well in the WSBK, 4th in race 1 was a good result, I heard he had a shifter problem in race 2 that menat he kept getting false neutrals which caused him to run off twice, so he only managed 15th. He was going well before it started though. I was surprised at Melandri, he had been struggling in pre-season and practice but he really came good, he could be one to watch this year if he regains his form.

All in all it was good racing except for Checca clearing off in both races, I can't see that lasting at every round though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ducati out of WSBK chemics 2 982 08-30-2010 08:32 AM
Last Post: chemics
  WSBK Round 4 - Assen chemics 4 1,334 04-27-2010 08:20 AM
  WSBK Round 3 - Valencia chemics 0 628 04-09-2010 10:56 AM
  WSBK Rd2 Portimao chemics 6 1,451 03-29-2010 08:04 AM