Register

Poll: Who replaces Kubica?
1 of Renault reserve driver (Charouz, Tung, Fauzy)
Senna (3rd driver)
Grojean (3rd driver)
Hulkenberg (FI 3rd driver)
Heidfeld (free agent)
Liuzzi (free agent)
Raikkonen (WRC)
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who replaces Kubica?
02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
RE: Who replaces Kubica?
I'm not dreaming about reviving the past, but just changing the present. We don't like Bahar, but we like the guy who drives for him and is in hospital. So it brings up a dilemma

[Image: zsolt-baumgartner-minardi.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
seems like it would be much simpler to move kubica, then we can hate renault full-on.
Find all posts by this user
02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
He could replace Schumi at Merc. We like Brawn and our Malaysian love can continue with Petronas.

Malaysia is very invloved in F1.... hmmm... interesting.

02-15-2011, 07:00 AM
(02-14-2011 05:50 PM)Baumgartnerfan Wrote:  He could replace Schumi at Merc. We like Brawn and our Malaysian love can continue with Petronas.

Many like Brawn, not so many like Mercedes. And even if some will never accept it, it will end up being a German team. And Kubica is not German, but Pole (even if some right-wing nuts in Germany would like Poland to be German).

Maybe wait for Vettel to go to Ferrari, then take his place at RBR. On the other hand, waiting for Group Lotus' demise seems to be the shorter wait.
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Back to this thread's subject: Crash.net says Kubica would prefer Liuzzi as his replacement, because he is the better racer than Heidfeld.

Well, I'm sure we all agree Robert is not stupid, so either this report is just wrong, or Kubica thinks it will be easier for him to come back and get #1 status at once if Liuzzi gets the job. Not much to fear from a guy who could only just beat Scott Speed...
02-15-2011, 11:47 AM
(02-15-2011 11:01 AM)InterRaptor Wrote:  Back to this thread's subject: Crash.net says Kubica would prefer Liuzzi as his replacement, because he is the better racer than Heidfeld.

Well, I'm sure we all agree Robert is not stupid, so either this report is just wrong, or Kubica thinks it will be easier for him to come back and get #1 status at once if Liuzzi gets the job. Not much to fear from a guy who could only just beat Scott Speed...

or maybe because Kubica doesn't get along with Heidfeld?
Those two were not friendly during BMW days.

[Image: rpm_g_wheldon01jr_288.jpg]
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
If you read Joe Saywards blog regularly he suggests there is a general feeling amongst paddock insiders that Liuzzi is actually a very quick driver and has had a hard ride with the teams he has been with. Alonso recently referred to him as a great talent in an interview somewhere.
02-15-2011, 01:01 PM
(02-15-2011 11:47 AM)cozmoose Wrote:  or maybe because Kubica doesn't get along with Heidfeld?
Those two were not friendly during BMW days.
Really? I always had the feeling that although they were not "BFF", they got along quite well.
(02-15-2011 12:30 PM)chemics Wrote:  If you read Joe Saywards blog regularly he suggests there is a general feeling amongst paddock insiders that Liuzzi is actually a very quick driver and has had a hard ride with the teams he has been with. Alonso recently referred to him as a great talent in an interview somewhere.
I don't read that blog regularly, because IMHO Saward writes about as much BS as real inside info. If people in the paddock really thought that highly of Liuzzi, he would not get paid to not drive for FI, replaced by a rookie who has no more sponsorship than him (yes, Mercedes support is certainly valuable, but still...). He was ok in junior series and managed to win 1 championship, but he was not able to prevail in F1. He may have some talent and speed, but can't transform that into good races. Maybe he was indeed given a hard time at RBR because they preferred the Austrian guy, and even in his Toro Rosso (half) year along Vettel, but he had his chance last year. The only award he won was Grid of Shame Award.
02-15-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm sure there is more the FI driver choices than meets the eye. From what I have heard Liuzzi's results weren't bad at all if you looked at lap times and positions when the car let him down. He wasn't as consistent as he could have been but it still seems strange to pay him to go away and get a rookie with little or no money instead. Who knows what goes on in Malya's head though.

I guess time will tell. I don't think Bob has any motivation to favour Liuzzi or Heidfeld though, he is far better than either of them. Heidfeld certainly wouldn't be a threat given he has already proven he can beat him earlier in his career when Heidfeld should have been at his peak and Kubica was still a rising star who has only improved since then.
02-16-2011, 05:42 AM
(02-15-2011 02:00 PM)chemics Wrote:  Heidfeld certainly wouldn't be a threat given he has already proven he can beat him earlier in his career when Heidfeld should have been at his peak and Kubica was still a rising star who has only improved since then.

I think we had that subject a few times already, but here are the point tallies when they were driving in the same team:
2006: Kubica 6, Heidfeld 10 (for the races both drove, 23 for complete season)
2007: Kubica 39, Heidfeld 61
2008: Kubica 75, Heidfeld 60
2009: Kubica 17, Heidfeld 19

That's 3:1 for Heidfeld, 2:1 if you dismiss 2006 because Kubica was a rookie and entered in the middle of the season.
02-16-2011, 09:19 AM
I guess it's just my perception that Kubica beat him. I expect I'm not the only one.

Points don't tell the whole story though, much the same as Liuzzi's season last year.
02-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Points may not tell the whole story, but it is the only thing that counts at the end of the year. I don't remember if Kubica was involved in accidents totally out of his control in 2009, or if he had more car breakdowns (although that can also be tracked back to the driver if he handles it to roughly). I doubt BMW were pushing Hedfeld more than Kubica, though.
02-16-2011, 02:18 PM
In 2007 Kubica showed promise and had a heavy crash, but dissapointed a bit, he drove like a champ and whinged like a diva in 2008, 2009 he had a good race or two, and in 2010 to me it seemed like he proved to be a future Champ.

Heidfeld has been solid, and always there, but rarely do I remember him having races like Kubica. As an example in 2006, Kubica's maiden Podium really stood out, and Heidfeld just kinda ended up with more points.

Also Heidfeld had ten seasons to prove himself, and when BMW had a race winning package, he didn't win. I give Kubica another 3 or 4 seasons before I write him off.

02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Doesn't really make much difference now, Heidfeld got the seat.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89513
02-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Heh - sure, he's not the firecracker we all love to root for, but Nick is the right choice, particularly given his times. I expect they have lots of interesting telemetry from the car that shows him the right guy as well.

I was thinking back on the 'Great Drives of Nick Heidfield' and it seems to me that one of his better ones was at Canada a few years ago...only problem was that Kubi won, and he got 2nd. To his credit though, it's my impression that Nick is a good team player, and probably has fewer 'my stupid team let me down' quotes than most prima donnas out there.

And if the R31 ends up really being a great car, perhaps he'll have a chance to pick up that elusive victory his career has been missing. Wink

[Image: 3843905552_cd9ef30475.jpg]
Andy Chittum - USTCC #38 | NASA Spec e30 #92 | Racecarnology Blog
02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
I guess the team could do with someone solid to get the car home in good points positions week in week out and do the development. Even if Liuzzi might be faster he hasn't proved that ability yet, so Heidfeld is the low risk option.
02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Today at work and on the radio on my way home they said that the last operation went well, and Kubica should be back on track within 3 months.

Tonight though I searched all over the internet and I couldn't find this anywhere. I live in Poland now, so maybe local media is being a bit optimistic. To give you an Idea on formula 1 in Poland, nobody says we're going to watch F1, they say "we're going to watch Kubica", so it's a bit of a loss for F1 audience here, and I don't see a future for the sport here, unless some Polish kid is already going through the karting now.

Actually the closest thing I could find, was a twitter feed from Rhubens who said Kubica actually rang him, and sounded normal. I suppose as normal as claiming Liuzzi to be faster then Heidfeld is.

02-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Could Quick Nick be Button and Brawn of 2011?
02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
What a story that would be and interesting if Kubica was ready to come back and Nick had done a JB and won 6 of 7 to start the year.
02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
(02-16-2011 05:48 PM)Nasir Wrote:  Could Quick Nick be Button and Brawn of 2011?

He will be driving the Genii/Bahar special. Of course not.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
02-16-2011, 06:51 PM
i believe he could be healthy in 3 months, but will he be able to drive an f1 car? there's a difference between having the wrist and hand control necessary to lead a normal life and that necessary to control an f1 car. with how serious the injuries were portrayed, i wouldn't be surprised if he never got back to that level of sensation and control.
02-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Well this is where limited testing has again showed it's hindrance.

02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
kubica can be renault's 5th friday driver.
02-18-2011, 08:19 PM
(02-16-2011 05:51 PM)chemics Wrote:  What a story that would be and interesting if Kubica was ready to come back and Nick had done a JB and won 6 of 7 to start the year.

Mmm - we can start talking about his smooth driving style, and how that'll work well with the Perellis. I like it.

[Image: 3843905552_cd9ef30475.jpg]
Andy Chittum - USTCC #38 | NASA Spec e30 #92 | Racecarnology Blog

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Robert Kubica cozmoose 177 49,463 06-06-2017 08:06 PM
Last Post: leonbray
  what ever happened to bob kubica? frankdouglason 20 4,134 03-15-2012 10:49 AM
Last Post: chemics
  Drivers wish Kubica a speedy recovery InterRaptor 7 1,608 03-03-2011 10:51 PM
Last Post: leadfoot