Register

Poll: Who replaces Kubica?
1 of Renault reserve driver (Charouz, Tung, Fauzy)
Senna (3rd driver)
Grojean (3rd driver)
Hulkenberg (FI 3rd driver)
Heidfeld (free agent)
Liuzzi (free agent)
Raikkonen (WRC)
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who replaces Kubica?
02-07-2011, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2011 09:29 PM by cozmoose.)
Who replaces Kubica?
At minimum, Robert is out for this year.
And depending on his recovery, he maybe out longer or even have to retire.
So who does Renault replace him with?

Renault has plenty of reserve drivers in their stable including Ho-Pin Tung, Fairuz Fauzy and Jan Charouz.
But none of them are remotely ready for F1 at the moment.

as for 3rd drivers, there is Bruno Senna. But is he #1 driver material?
Can a team of Senna and Petrov be competitive? able to develop new car?
The other 3rd driver is Romain Grojean. Too much been there, done that?

Eric Boullier said if Kubica is out for the year, he will pick "replacement" driver. Not "reserve" driver.
This statement seems to suggest he is willing to look outside the team.
Obvious choice is Nico Hulkenberg. But how much $ would it take to pry him away from FI?
There is the reliable Nick Heidfeld. A solid but not very inspiring option.
Even worse is Tonio Liuzzi. Chronic underachiever already fired by 2 F1 teams.

Last but not least, there is the intriguing prospect of Kimi Raikkonen.
Despite the petty squabble between him and Bouiller last year, Kimi can emerge as a hero rescuing Renault from their bleakest hour.
New car looks very promising and Kimi would get lot of positive feedback from his comeback.
Kimi is really the only #1 driver out there.
But Kimi being Kimi, he probably couldn't care less.

So what say you? who should replace Kubica?

[Image: rpm_g_wheldon01jr_288.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2011, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2011 09:28 PM by frankdouglason.)
RE: Who replaces Kubica?
is the question who will replace kubica (prediction) or who should replace kubica (recommendation)? they're very different answers.
02-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Hulkenberg. Quick and pole winner from last year. Has won championship in every other category he has competed in. Good long-term investment.

Kimi. If a man is not motivated by $50m why bother with a $10m offer?

Heidfeld and et al. They already have Comrade Petrov to help decide the championship in the final round.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2011, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2011 09:57 PM by cozmoose.)
Nasir, don't you think Hulk's pole at Interlagos was mainly due to extremely good luck?
To me, his hot lap and pit sequence coincided perfectly with the weather.
In the race, we found out his true speed wasn't good enough to defend the first corner, let alone first lap.

And outside of this one brilliant moment, Hulk did virtually nothing to distinguish himself at Williams.
He did not out shine Rubens nor establish his status as #1.
It speaks volume when a "can't miss" prospect is shown the door instead of aging veteran like Rubens....especially when neither brought money.

Kimi's manager might be motivated by the number of zeros in the paycheck but I get the sense that money is not Kimi's #1 priority.
In some bizarre way, taking over Renault and getting the sole credit for their rise in the championship might provide the proper motivation to take on this challenge.

...but he could also just as likely wind up in Nascar. <shrug>

02-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Kimi comes in - does one stunning year - thumbs his nose at F1 and returns to WRC

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
02-07-2011, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2011 10:53 PM by cozmoose.)
(02-07-2011 10:32 PM)leonbray Wrote:  Kimi comes in - does one stunning year - thumbs his nose at F1 and returns to WRC
Wouldn't that be awesome?
Always leave them begging for more!

02-08-2011, 05:49 AM
I see the Kimi to Renault is starting in the press again. I don't see it happening. They can't afford him.

Tonio has unfinished business.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
02-08-2011, 06:02 AM
There's no reason for Kimi to do it. Had the accident happened a month ago, before he had he WRC team set up, maybe. But now he will stay in rally and do what he enjoys. I'm sure he is the number one on Taner Bahar's list, but Lotus Group has stretched itself too much already, they don't have the kind of money left to get Kimi interested. Also, we saw in 2009 what happens when Kimi drives only for the money and not out of fun.

Hulk is not a number 1 driver (yet). He may become one, or he may become one of those hopefuls who were great in junior series, but completely fail in F1. Just like Liuzzi, who has no big name, no big talent, no big sponsor.

The rest of the Renault drivers (Senna, Grosjean, the GP2 guys) are not up to it either. Senna and Grosjean would be able to make a one-off appearance and not look too bad, but they can't help the team improve during the season.

Only option really is Heidfeld. Drove last season, drove the Pirelli tyres, has lots of experience in big and small teams, very reliable, but also able to get surprise results. Not a great winning history, but that can be changed.

Another option which could be interesting for Bahar is to bring back Villeneuve. We know JV would like nothing better than to drive F1, he has a name with a lot of glamour around it (mostly due to his daddy), does have a lot of F1 experience, even if it's dated a bit, and is a former world champion.
02-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Anthony Davidson has ruled out replacing Robert Kubica at Renault. Who asked him??????
02-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I would imagine Kubica was insured, so the team should get his salary back to spend on someone else. I think it's around $7.5M, so that should be enough for anyone who doesn't have a drive or is a reserve with change to spare.

Villeneuve would be a huge mistake imo, he has been out of the sport for far too long, just look at Schumi last year and he had time to test and less time out. It would be better to get someone like Hulk with a longer term view and hope his second season is a revelation now he has some experience. It would be a risk but not as big a risk as someone like Villeneuve.
02-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Nick/Nico/Hulk/Heid are the safest choices. I hope the Hulk gets it and does well.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
02-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I wonder how many drivers get a chance to test the car before they decide, or if they pick one quickly to give them maximum time to develop and get used to the car.
02-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I think the smart money will be with Heidfeld. He's the best F1 driver available on such short notice, and he's more proven then Liuzzi, as i read it being pointed out, he's been fired by two teams, Heidfeld wasn't, and has a bunch of podiums and other positive achievements in F1 Smile

My gambling brain says, go with Senna Smile

I don't think it's a good Idea for the Hulk. Kubica will be back next year, and Petrov is signed for two years, so he'll be looking for a seat again in 2012, and I think Sutil might be replaced by the Hulk especially if he's beaten by DiRista convincingly.

[Image: zsolt-baumgartner-minardi.jpg]
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
(02-08-2011 04:38 PM)Baumgartnerfan Wrote:  I think the smart money will be with Heidfeld. He's the best F1 driver available on such short notice, and he's more proven then Liuzzi, as i read it being pointed out, he's been fired by two teams, Heidfeld wasn't, and has a bunch of podiums and other positive achievements in F1 Smile

My gambling brain says, go with Senna Smile

I don't think it's a good Idea for the Hulk. Kubica will be back next year, and Petrov is signed for two years, so he'll be looking for a seat again in 2012, and I think Sutil might be replaced by the Hulk especially if he's beaten by DiRista convincingly.

I'd say it's worth a shot for Hulk, Kubica may not be back and even if he is Petrov's 2 year contract means nothing. If Hulk had a good season and Petrov didn't he would have done his career a world of good compared to testing on Fridays for FI.
02-08-2011, 06:10 PM
But we forget about the Bahar factor - he'll probably want Fauzy in the car

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
bahar would want bruno, to complete the fauxtus image.
02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I think it's fauxest, but yes.

02-08-2011, 06:42 PM
How about Kobiashi? No reason, other than I'd just like to see him in a potentially top car.

It's a very interesting prospect, though - the mystery driver has a very unusual opportunity to step in toward the upper end of the grid. Offhand, I can't think of anyone that would do as good a job as Kubi would have.

[Image: 3843905552_cd9ef30475.jpg]
Andy Chittum - USTCC #38 | NASA Spec e30 #92 | Racecarnology Blog
02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
They should get Heiki back from Lotus and let Lotus handle the newbies/hasbeens.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
02-08-2011, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2011 07:30 PM by cyan.)
Did Bouiller not just say less than a week ago when they signed Senna that "Senna is first in line for the race seat if either of our drivers cannot race"?
Unless I dreamt that, this poll is pointless, since Renault has already committed to putting Senna in the first empty seat.

However, if the poll was "who would you like to see replace Kubica" then I would have voted differently

[Image: 2011e.gif]
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah, but there is empty and then there is empty. This is Bob empty, not Vitaly empty.

02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
(02-08-2011 07:29 PM)cyan Wrote:  Did Bouiller not just say less than a week ago when they signed Senna that "Senna is first in line for the race seat if either of our drivers cannot race"?
Unless I dreamt that, this poll is pointless, since Renault has already committed to putting Senna in the first empty seat.

it's very nice of you to give boullier that much faith. i don't take what he says at face value.
02-09-2011, 05:49 AM
(02-08-2011 07:29 PM)cyan Wrote:  Did Bouiller not just say less than a week ago when they signed Senna that "Senna is first in line for the race seat if either of our drivers cannot race"?

I think I said this somewhere else, but I'm not above repeating myself: Senna would have been the one to stand in if it had been for a race or two. For a whole season, Renault needs a proven driver who can help the team more than the team helps the driver.

As to the Bahar factor, it just gave me an idea of another potential (if far-fetched) possibility. You remember who the last World Champion for Team Lotus was? He does have a grand-son who is in racing, too...
02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Looks like it's between Heidfeld, Liuzzi & Senna at the moment

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89342

I think I also saw some comments about Senna being the reserve driver if needed for the odd race, but not automatically getting the seat for a long term replacement.
02-09-2011, 04:11 PM
latest update they are going to test Heidfeld, his winter beard must be good for 6/10ths :
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89366

"If there's a red light when you leave the pitlane you have to stop. Then some wooden eye (Hamilton) crashes into you and breaks the car."
- Kimi Raikkonen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Robert Kubica cozmoose 177 50,742 06-06-2017 08:06 PM
Last Post: leonbray
  what ever happened to bob kubica? frankdouglason 20 4,329 03-15-2012 10:49 AM
Last Post: chemics
  Drivers wish Kubica a speedy recovery InterRaptor 7 1,618 03-03-2011 10:51 PM
Last Post: leadfoot
  Kubica injured in rallye accident InterRaptor 67 14,524 02-13-2011 09:08 PM