Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FIA to propose F1 'windscreen' to protect drivers Racing series F1
12-23-2010, 08:27 AM
FIA to propose F1 'windscreen' to protect drivers Racing series F1
The FIA is proposing to mandate plexiglass windscreens for the cockpits of Formula One cars, according to an Italian report.

[Image: 2pozm10.jpg]

Autosprint, claims the innovation would be to protect drivers from being struck on the head.

The exposure of the drivers' heads made headlines last year, when Felipe Massa was seriously injured by a flying suspension spring, days after F2 driver Henry Surtees was killed when he drove into the path of a stricken wheel.

"I'm not saying we need to cover (the cockpit) completely," Ferrari driver Massa said after recovering from his skull injuries. "But maybe there are some other things we can do to the car to stop a wheel hitting your head."

After those incidents last year, Bernie Ecclestone said Professor Sid Watkins - the president of the FIA Institute for Motor Sport Safety - had been commissioned to "deal with" the issue.

The renewed push for driver head safety also comes just six weeks after the nose of Vitantonio Liuzzi's Force India rode up and almost struck Michael Schumacher's head during the 2010 season finale in Abu Dhabi.

Autosprint said the proposed protective structure, whilst not impeding driver visibility, would be designed to withstand the impact of a flying wheel and the full 640kg weight of an F1 car.

The report said the solution would also need to take into consideration its aerodynamic impact, including the flow of air to the engine airbox and the wings.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2010, 08:55 AM
RE: FIA to propose F1 'windscreen' to protect drivers Racing series F1
Jack Brabham already tried this in 1967:

[Image: wl7p86.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Good find, that looks better than the mockup above. Fighter pilot style.

12-23-2010, 09:22 AM
That new cover wouldn't stop a wheel hitting a driver in a freak accident if it was coming from above. It would also be a nightmare in rain, especially in places like Korea that had all the mud on the track and presumably the oil from the new surface that would have been kicked up.
12-23-2010, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2010 10:50 AM by Koala.)
Can't see how the plexi glass windscreen qs shown on the Ferrari would do much - perhaps some sort of a roll cage over the driver might work though that might hinder driver exit in a crash

(12-23-2010 08:55 AM)François.cevert Wrote:  Jack Brabham already tried this in 1967:

[Image: wl7p86.png]

Have to agree with Yaaay a great find - had never seen that before
12-23-2010, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2010 11:33 AM by François.cevert.)
(12-23-2010 10:47 AM)Koala Wrote:  Have to agree with Yaaay a great find - had never seen that before

Thanks, the catch is that it was not an F1 car. It was F2.
Brabham tried that only once, in Italy, and his goal was to improve the aerodynamics. The car was the BT23C.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-23-2010, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2010 04:01 PM by frankdouglason.)
yeah! we add a windscreen to protect the drivers' heads, and we add fenders to make sure the wheels don't fly off in a crash, and maybe we could race the cars at a track in the french countryside also.

you can't stop freak accidents. it's impossible. stop knee-jerking.
12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
let's get rid of the open wheels and have a real canopy, why not allow Diesel Engines as well.

I think it might look a bit like this.

[Image: audi_r_18_le_mans_images_002.jpg]
12-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Why don't the FIA go the whole hog and introduce the 100% safe F1 car for 2013 and have them race their teams simulators instead of those nasty temperamental loud dangerous track versions.
Then all the drivers could avoid having to deal with the local media and just drive their virtual F1 cars on virtual tracks.
So much cheaper and eco-friendly than the current proposals.
No more Tilke dromes............ We could even race on the Nordschleife again. I can't see a downside to that.

Kimi might even be interested in F1 again.Tongue

[Image: PzKpfwVI.png]
12-24-2010, 11:03 AM
[Image: image_gran_turismo_5-14032-1865_0001.jpg]

Newey's already done it

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
12-24-2010, 03:20 PM
As they build up the cockpit it will inevitably impede driver extraction. I hope they've done plenty of simulations and a proper risk assessment.

Of course the first time someone's exit gets impeded there will be a backlash of people like me telling them 'I told you so' and they'll thrash around, have another knee-jerk reaction and have a punt at something else...

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
12-24-2010, 11:54 PM
(12-24-2010 03:20 PM)drmarkf Wrote:  Of course the first time someone's exit gets impeded there will be a backlash of people like me telling them 'I told you so' and they'll thrash around, have another knee-jerk reaction and have a punt at something else...

change is more important than progress.
12-25-2010, 06:13 AM
(12-24-2010 11:54 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(12-24-2010 03:20 PM)drmarkf Wrote:  Of course the first time someone's exit gets impeded there will be a backlash of people like me telling them 'I told you so' and they'll thrash around, have another knee-jerk reaction and have a punt at something else...

change is more important than progress.

didn't some politician say that - guess there was change - going backwards is change

Locator of Shruberies
12-25-2010, 11:19 AM
(12-24-2010 11:03 AM)leonbray Wrote:  [Image: image_gran_turismo_5-14032-1865_0001.jpg]

Newey's already done it

Looks nice

01-31-2016, 12:07 PM
The F.I.A. will propose 3 new designs for team consideration. Here is one of them...
[Image: 2weywep.jpg]

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
01-31-2016, 04:07 PM
How will they get out when it jams in place during an accident.

01-31-2016, 06:31 PM
(01-31-2016 04:07 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  How will they get out when it jams in place during an accident.

something that was said by many people for many years after seatbelts were mandated.

there are legitimate safety concerns with open cockpits. it's worth pursuing a solution. many of the ideas people will come up with will create other safety concerns, but we need to weigh the net benefit/detriment rather than just dismiss the idea because it isn't perfect. and that's going to be very hard to do because we're trying to weigh one freak accident against another, so the data set is miniscule.

to me, the bigger concern is whether we lose the character of the series. open wheels and open cockpits are inherently less safe than their alternatives. but if we have 90% closed wheels (like indycar) and 90% closed cockpits (like f1 keeps pushing toward), we've made the cars much safer, but haven't we also lost the identity of the series? it quickly becomes an impersonation of a sports car prototype.
01-31-2016, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2016 08:03 PM by Yaaay.)
Not really the same thing. They are there to protect against an object intruding. Seat belts are to reduce the result of the vehicle colliding with something.

02-01-2016, 06:28 AM
(01-31-2016 08:01 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Not really the same thing. They are there to protect against an object intruding. Seat belts are to reduce the result of the vehicle colliding with something.

another difference: "seatbelt" has eight letters in it while "canopy" has only six. but how does that defeat the analogy?
02-01-2016, 11:21 AM
I dunno, the new McLaren seemed to design around it pretty well...

[Image: 2wegcqr.jpg]

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
02-02-2016, 09:14 AM
(01-31-2016 04:07 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  How will they get out when it jams in place during an accident.

Anthony Davidson has been testing it I believe, as someone with experience of F1 and closed cockpit cars at the highest level he offers a pretty good perspective. I'm sure egress has been considered by smarter people than us.
02-02-2016, 07:56 PM
(02-02-2016 09:14 AM)chemics Wrote:  

Anthony Davidson has been testing it I believe, as someone with experience of F1 and closed cockpit cars at the highest level he offers a pretty good perspective. I'm sure egress has been considered by smarter people than us.

They are smarter and more informed but this is reaction to supposed public outcry and all the other stuff that blurs perspective.

The first driverless car to have an accident will start an outcry about how dangerous they are despite thousands of accidents every day by drivered cars.

02-03-2016, 01:30 AM
(02-02-2016 07:56 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  this is reaction to supposed public outcry and all the other stuff that blurs perspective.

The first driverless car to have an accident will start an outcry about how dangerous they are despite thousands of accidents every day by drivered cars.

is there still a public outcry about this? i was under the impression that it had blown over a while ago.

if they are just doing this to quell the rabble, then that's obviously misguided. but if they're just trying to see how they can make f1 cars a bit safer, then that's a good goal, right? of course, they have to consider the side effects of any idea to see if it's worth marginal safety gains, but they have to develop it before they can study the side effects.
02-04-2016, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 09:32 AM by Neonzapper.)
The FIA has approved the "Halo" design for 2017...
[Image: 2amezq.jpg]
With GP3 on a lesser budget, the drivers will be given special glasses...
[Image: 2cwpidg.jpg]

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35488050

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
02-04-2016, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 06:20 PM by leonbray.)
oh goodie

got to love these decisions

Why not go the full monty and make something outlandish that works

[Image: red-bull-x2014.jpg]

[Image: McLaren%252520Honda%252520future%252520c...20cars.jpg]

Locator of Shruberies

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post