Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paris Hilton launches 125cc team
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2010 12:45 PM by chemics.)
Paris Hilton launches 125cc team
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/88684

...and here's the bike...

[Image: 24e6vis.jpg]
Barbie doll, bike and accessories to no doubt be launched later in the year....dear oh dear.

I guess it's money coming into the sport but I can't say I've ever seen any press about her being at previous races.

Antonia Banderas was fronting a team in Moto2 this year, but he is a well known fan of the sport anyway, unfortunately they folded recently due to their primary sponsor withdrawing, so his name didn't help that much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2010, 01:33 PM
RE: Paris Hilton launches 125cc team
That's it. I am no longer a motorsports fan. I can't be, not if abominations like this are allowed to stand!

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." — Mario Andretti

[Image: 4939500923_c49b1f73d5_m.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-17-2010, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2010 01:59 PM by chemics.)
I thought the same but if it brings money from additional sources and picks up a few more fans at the same time then why not. It's another team on the grid that may not have been there otherwise.

The riders leathers should be interesting if they follow that scheme!!
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM
WTF? Who's next Lindsay Lohan? Miley Cyrus? But in the end, it's all about the money, isn't it?

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
12-17-2010, 02:28 PM
As far as I can tell the SuperMartXe thing is some kind of VIP worldwide party company. I assume you pay too much money to go and party with Paris Hilton, so attaching it to an international race series makes sense. I'm sure the team are just glad for the sponsorship money, plus it raises their profile a lot outside the sport.

Whatever it takes to go racing I guess.
12-17-2010, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2010 03:21 PM by frankdouglason.)
you make it so easy for me, chemics, i don't know if i can say it.

silly bikers.
12-17-2010, 03:43 PM
(12-17-2010 03:21 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  you make it so easy for me, chemics, i don't know if i can say it.

silly bikers.

Let's not pretend F1 wouldn't be doing the same thing if it was as affordable.

Plus we had other non-traditional bike sponsors in the MotoGP class this year

[Image: LCR%20Honda-Playboy.jpg&t=1]

There are better pictures, but I'm at work. Just Google LCR Honda Playboy in Google Images.
12-17-2010, 03:51 PM
that is very silly also. the pictures were okay. they could have been much better if there wasn't a crotch rocket in all of them.
12-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't see bringing in new sponsors as silly unless it causes other ones to leave.

Bikes aren't the only ones at it either

[Image: porsche-917-pink-pig.jpg]
[Image: gpx1669.jpg]
12-17-2010, 04:05 PM
okay, i should clarify my comments. no sponsor is inherently silly. i never meant to say that. but promotions can be silly. like having a nude woman pose with your rider and bike, or painting it like a barbi doll evel knievel would, or diagramming cuts of pork on the car.

durex sponsoring an f1 car is not silly. if they run a commercial where the f1 car drives into a giant condom and gets stuck in the reservoir tip, that would be silly.
12-17-2010, 04:21 PM
What would you expect Playboy to do as part of their promotion? It's what they do. I don't know if the nude women were in the motorcycling press or the Playboy promotional material. The grid girls were Playboy bunny's in the outfits show in the pic above, which was harmless enough, it's not like grid girls for other teams were significantly different.

As for the meat car or silly paint jobs, well F1 had DC in a cape on the podium in Monaco and we've had Storm Trooper pit men, which was fantastic. Gimmicks get attention, remember the two paint job BAR's?
[Image: BAR1999.jpg]

One of my favourites
[Image: motogp_04_estoril03_lge.jpg]
12-17-2010, 04:30 PM
(12-17-2010 03:58 PM)chemics Wrote:  [Image: porsche-917-pink-pig.jpg]

Finally, a proper colour for a Porch.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
12-17-2010, 05:46 PM
(12-17-2010 04:21 PM)chemics Wrote:  What would you expect Playboy to do as part of their promotion? It's what they do. I don't know if the nude women were in the motorcycling press or the Playboy promotional material. The grid girls were Playboy bunny's in the outfits show in the pic above, which was harmless enough, it's not like grid girls for other teams were significantly different.

As for the meat car or silly paint jobs, well F1 had DC in a cape on the podium in Monaco and we've had Storm Trooper pit men, which was fantastic. Gimmicks get attention, remember the two paint job BAR's?

One of my favourites

I've gotta show my daughter that spiderman pic, she's got a thing for spidey. I got her a spiderman necklace for Christmas.

12-17-2010, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2010 10:07 PM by Koala.)
I suppose someone is getting a ride - and I do mean on a 125cc bike - you can't really see the sponsorship being long term but it does inject some money and publicity and there is nothing wrong with that.
12-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Paris Hilton is definitely all about money and publicity. In America for one week, our football teams donned pink shoes and gloves to enhance breast cancer awareness. I guess you do what you have to do.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
12-20-2010, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2010 09:24 AM by chemics.)
(12-17-2010 10:07 PM)Koala Wrote:  I suppose someone is getting a ride - and I do mean on a 125cc bike - you can't really see the sponsorship being long term but it does inject some money and publicity and there is nothing wrong with that.

I think I heard it's a 5 year deal, which is really long in motorsport sponsorship. We'll see if it really lasts that long though.
(12-17-2010 05:46 PM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  
(12-17-2010 04:21 PM)chemics Wrote:  What would you expect Playboy to do as part of their promotion? It's what they do. I don't know if the nude women were in the motorcycling press or the Playboy promotional material. The grid girls were Playboy bunny's in the outfits show in the pic above, which was harmless enough, it's not like grid girls for other teams were significantly different.

One of my favourites

I've gotta show my daughter that spiderman pic, she's got a thing for spidey. I got her a spiderman necklace for Christmas.

I think it was Marco Melandri if that makes it easier to find more/better pictures.
12-20-2010, 12:16 PM
I think it was Marco Melandri if that makes it easier to find more/better pictures.

According to Google Image Search you are correct. Thanks!

12-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Were they promoting a film or something?

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
12-20-2010, 12:51 PM
(12-20-2010 12:37 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Were they promoting a film or something?

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2004/Melan...derman+too

It looks like he has done it twice to co-incide with the launch of the first two films. I guess it's good one-off sponsorship.