Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Ultimate Car? The X1
10-18-2010, 04:49 PM
The Ultimate Car? The X1
Here's some info on the Newey designed ultimate car for Gran Turismo 5.
[Image: red-bull-x1-prototype-front-640x689.jpg]
[Image: red-bull-x1-prototype-rear.jpg]
Here's the LINK

[Image: PzKpfwVI.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2010, 04:51 PM
RE: The Ultimate Car? The X1
talk of lap records set by fictional cars seems a bit hollow to me.

but i am looking forward to trying out the x1.
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Looks like a cross between a Caparo T1, and some of the best bits of F1 tech that have been banned or limited in the past. Shame, it will probably be obsolete by the time the game actually comes out.
10-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Bleakch.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
10-18-2010, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010 07:37 PM by Cé hé sin.)
I thought for a moment that this was intended
11-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Its interesting to be unshackled by the rule book and be able to produce something special.

The fan car concept brought into the present day .. very interesting concept.

This car seems to have been a product of Adrian Newey's dreams !!
11-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Here's a glimpse of it in virtual action,
X1 on the track

11-09-2010, 09:05 AM
wonder how long it would be before someone builds one for the road

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
11-09-2010, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2010 02:24 PM by Neonzapper.)
Dunno about a Red Bull racer, but the closest realistic production car coming to America from Renault-Nissan is an all-electric vehicle supposedly slated for next year with production in Tennessee and Oregon.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkDG1E64s1c

Onboard with the closest thing to the X1 (Caparo T1) at least in terms of looks. I read about this recently. The car was purchased by a friend of EVO magazine with one stipulation, take it to the Nurburgring and have a go at a lap time before it's shipped to the US for him to take delivery. Apparently they broke something in the attempt, but it was really fast.

The owner is a British Ex-pat living in the US who also bought a McLaren F1 and has since driven it across the whole country and uses it for track days. I think he's a tech Millionaire that sold his company and is now burning through his money on fast cars before going back to work when he needs to. I know he also has a 612 as a daily driver among other cars. Hard life.
11-09-2010, 03:29 PM
top gear did not have much nice to say about the caparo.
11-09-2010, 03:52 PM
It's not the show I would go to for accurate reviews.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM
not for a ford mundano, no, but for a track day car? when they say they can't get through a shoot without it breaking, and it has no rear end grip under 100 mph, i don't think they're making that up.
11-10-2010, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2010 09:22 AM by chemics.)
(11-09-2010 05:09 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  not for a ford mundano, no, but for a track day car? when they say they can't get through a shoot without it breaking, and it has no rear end grip under 100 mph, i don't think they're making that up.

Who drove it though? Top Gear are well known for destroying cars and I don't think any of the main presenters are particularly good drivers. I'd trust EVO over them every time, or most other performance car mags for that matter, most of the EVO writers also race competitively and aren't TV personalities that happen to drive cars.

The car probably spins up at under 100mph if you are ham fisted with it, it's basically a race car with very few driver aids, if you haven't got the necessary skills (or you drive like an arse) you will struggle. Does that make it a bad car?
http://jalopnik.com/5685813/

They have made the X1, albeit with a different engine. I suspect the lap times won't compare to GT5.
EVO review of the Caparo after driving across the country, sounds like it's surprisingly habitable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZog4jnZkKc
11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
to answer the question, jeremy and the stig both drove it. it had two mechanical failures, one slips my memory and the other was a brake clamped on and wouldn't release. it looked very skittish in corners, even with the stig driving. but i think it's better information when the hosts are driving. i don't care if a car is theoretically controllable. i care if a normal person can drive it, because i'm not a professional race driver.
11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
(11-10-2010 02:53 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  to answer the question, jeremy and the stig both drove it. it had two mechanical failures, one slips my memory and the other was a brake clamped on and wouldn't release. it looked very skittish in corners, even with the stig driving. but i think it's better information when the hosts are driving. i don't care if a car is theoretically controllable. i care if a normal person can drive it, because i'm not a professional race driver.

Even Clarksons wife says he can't drive very well.

Let's be honest, if you think a Caparo will drive like a regular tin top you have strange expectations, look at it. It isn't a day to day driver. the EVO review seemed like it was perfectly usable. I wouldn't expect it to be too easy though. I agree I wouldn't expect to be a race driver to drive it, but I expect it would require a significant amount more concentration than my regular car.
11-10-2010, 05:12 PM
isn't insane amounts of grip what you want from a car like the caparo? that's the route that all the other track day cars go. the atom, the palmer jag, the german thing with a funny name that i forget. these all have absurd grip. the caparo looks like it should have more, but has less. and then it breaks every 50 miles.
11-15-2010, 09:14 AM
(11-10-2010 05:12 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  isn't insane amounts of grip what you want from a car like the caparo? that's the route that all the other track day cars go. the atom, the palmer jag, the german thing with a funny name that i forget. these all have absurd grip. the caparo looks like it should have more, but has less. and then it breaks every 50 miles.

Does it have less grip, or did Top Gear struggle for grip on cold tyres with a car that has a huge power to weight ratio? Cars like this generate their best grip at speed when the aero works and the tyres are warm. It isn't a track car either, although that's probably where it will be used most due to it's extreme nature.

EVO run the cars they test on a track, the Caparo was about 4s a lap faster than the the previous fastest supercar (Gumpert Apollo I think) the lap was around the 1m15s mark. That suggests they found some grip.

I suspect top Gear found that it didn't have enough grip to contain it's power from cold or at low speed, which wouldn't be a surprise. Just a guess though, I didn't see it. I have heard that early cars were very fragile, anything at the limit of engineering will be I guess, it's also made by a pretty small company, so I would imagine early customers end up helping in development as weak points are found. It's not ideal, but when you don't have Ferrari resources you can't throw endless testing at a car.
11-15-2010, 02:57 PM
could have been the cold. that's a good thought.

now that i look it up, the caparo did set a blazing time, but was disqualified for failing the sleeping policeman test.

my point, though, is that when comparing the atom, the caterham, the palmer, the gumpert, and the caparo, the caparo is going to be a step faster than the others but much less fun to drive. which is more important? i don't want to be constantly fighting my car. the stig was visibly struggling, and the cold isn't an escape for me because i live in western new york. there would be some chilly track days at watkin's glen. i'd go with the atom or the caterham.
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I'd go with a Caterham as well (better protection from the elements than an Atom), the Caparo would be too fast for a track day anyway (and too fast for the road), what is the fun in being so much faster than everyone else so you are constantly having to avoid slower cars. I think the Caparo is an exercise in going as fast as possible. That doesn't make it fun to drive. Plus, if you get it wrong in a Caterham you are far less likely to destroy yourself and the car with lower speeds.

Cars like the Caparo and the Radical that is a barely legal racer are pointless attempts at having the fastest road car at something, they serve no purpose as road cars. The Caparo is even more pointless as it doesn't even have a race series to compete it as far as I am aware. At least Radicals have that. I expect their "road" car is just a headline grabber.

It would be nice to be in a position to have to choose between them all though.
11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
The X1 looks pretty interesting. Though I wouldn't mind taking the Catherham FireBlade for a leisurely spin. Wink

Now if only Catherhams and other kit-cars were allowed to be sold in the US. Sad

-Christopher 'CAMikaze' Mattiuz ^_^
Username pronounced as 'kamikaze' Wink
11-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm ready for GT5!!
11-19-2010, 09:50 PM
(11-19-2010 09:20 PM)CAMikaze Wrote:  Now if only Catherhams and other kit-cars were allowed to be sold in the US. Sad

eh? http://www.uscaterham.com/
both kits and complete cars offered for sale.
11-21-2010, 10:50 AM
(11-19-2010 09:40 PM)parrothead Wrote:  I'm ready for GT5!!

Just three days to go.................. Soooooooooooooo long to wait.
Here's a nice appetiser to make you want it even more....
GT5 Rebirth

11-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I booked a weeks leave ages ago on the basis of the Nov 3 release date. Fortunately a compulsory conference came up in that week so I cancelled my leave, but I couldn't change it to the next couple of weeks. I do have the day off work on the release date, which is the 25th Nov here. Where I've pre-ordered the standard game from has the stealth cars as free extras. Hopefully that will accelerate the points tally. Wonder how long I'll have to play before I can buy/win the X1??

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver