RE: VW in WRC by 2013/4?
Herbie could be famous again.

[Image: marchmontpenny2.jpg]

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2010, 02:23 PM
ford, citroen, mini official. vw and toyota all but official. saab and audi thinking about it. this is very good. we have too many good rally drivers and teams that are not competitive only because they're customers to the big boys.
08-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Audi & VW, that seems a bit odd. I'd have thought they would go in different routes rather than competing against each other, especially with Skoda also in Rally.
08-30-2010, 11:58 AM
audi is the most speculative of the makes i mentioned. i'm fairly confident saying they've spoken to wrc about how they're looking into it, but that's as far as i think it's gone.
08-30-2010, 01:38 PM
There's certainly some history there. An A1 Quatro WRC would be an interesting proposition.

I suspect VAG wouldn't waste the effort on multiple entries but you never know, PSA did it for a while.
08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
audi has stronger rally history and i think most rally fans would rather see them for that reason, but vw fits in better marketing-wise since it competes with the other rally makes and audi generally doesn't. i think there's room for both. they're far more different than citroen and peugeot were.
08-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Same company though, so it would be the same engine and give or take the same chassis with all the shared group architecture. The sport probably doesn't fit Audi's image so well now either. I guess a lot will depend on the value the board place on the sport. Having two teams sharing some of the R&D components is cheaper than having two completely independent teams if they feel the PR is worth the outlay.

DTM is a much better fit for Audi though. They are racing against their competition in the road car market. I expect you would be far more likely to see Skoda than Audi, just a feeling though. Skoda are in IRC and doing very nicely (They took 1-2-3 this weekend), so a step up wouldn't be so far fetched with IRC being based on S2000 rules with 2.0l non turbo engines.
04-28-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id...8429417037

From Mud, Snow & Tar on Facebook
Quote:On Thursday May 5, German car manufacturing giant Volkswagen will confirm its entry into the World Rally Championship from 2012. The announcement will be made at a press conference in Sardinia, ahead of the fifth round of the 2011 season, Rally d'Italia Sardegna, in the early evening.

VW is expected to confirm that its Polo supermini will form the basis of its new World Rally Car, which will be powered by a 300bhp, 1.6-litre turbocharged engine. The brand's entry into the WRC will lift the total number of manufacturers competing from 2012 to four.

It's not yet known whether or not the team's drivers will be revealed, but early speculation suggests 2003 World Champion Petter Solberg has signed alongside VW's Dakar Rally winner, Nasser Al Attiyah.

I will be there to bring you the latest news on what will surely be one of the most exciting developments in the sport's recent history.
04-28-2011, 04:31 PM
it would be great to see petter get another real shot. i just hope vw can get up to speed before he starts to age out.
04-29-2011, 10:51 AM
The more the better, it's always nice to see new official teams coming into WRC and see different cars, so that good drivers can have a chance to do well in the WRC. I'm cheering for Mini because i want them to be competitive and give Citroen and Ford something to think about, oh and because Armindo is there Tongue
04-29-2011, 01:10 PM
4 Works teams would be good for the sport. I don't think it can handle any more than maybe 5 once you add in the privately entered cars as well. It didn't work with 6 when Skoda and Suzuki were too far off the pace and the investment to catch up was too big.

I'd guess that at best VW will enter next year and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was a limited program. You never know though, they certainly have the resource to be ready for next year and they may have already started development.
04-29-2011, 01:37 PM
adding works entries doesn't change the number of total cars. as we're seeing with vw and petter, new works teams cause privateer teams to close up shop and join forces. there's still room for one or two more teams, with henning and wilson and ken and atkinson and whoever can be poached from irc.
04-29-2011, 02:35 PM
(04-29-2011 01:37 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  adding works entries doesn't change the number of total cars. as we're seeing with vw and petter, new works teams cause privateer teams to close up shop and join forces. there's still room for one or two more teams, with henning and wilson and ken and atkinson and whoever can be poached from irc.

Matt Wilson in a full works car would be proof that there were too many works drives in my opinion. Ken would be good for PR for a works team though, but only as a number 2, same with Henning who also comes with a ton of sponsorship.

It's definitely time there were a few more drivers getting paid though.
04-29-2011, 02:44 PM
i agree that none of the drivers i mentioned would be challenging for championships, but i don't think we need every major team to contend.
04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
(04-29-2011 02:44 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i don't think we need every major team to contend.

But if they're not in the championship race for a couple of years in a row, what's their reason to stay in?
04-29-2011, 02:59 PM
holy straw man, batman! that's not what i said.

i don't think we need every major team to contend. notice the absence of "ever" in that sentence. some teams contend, some don't, and which teams are in which group changes from year to year. one team might have a poor driver lineup (and drivers are far more important in rally than in f1) like henning and ken and be in the weeds, but then sign a hot young driver out of brc and be back in the hunt two years later. you know, the same ebb and flow that all motorsports series have.
04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
(04-29-2011 02:59 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  holy straw man, batman! that's not what i said.

i don't think we need every major team to contend. notice the absence of "ever" in that sentence. some teams contend, some don't, and which teams are in which group changes from year to year. one team might have a poor driver lineup (and drivers are far more important in rally than in f1) like henning and ken and be in the weeds, but then sign a hot young driver out of brc and be back in the hunt two years later. you know, the same ebb and flow that all motorsports series have.

I agree. I think people have forgotten when it was like that before because of Loeb dominating for so long. That will end soon, it probably already has. With Ogier and Latvala already giving him a good run and Ostberg looking like he could do the same in a couple of years. More teams would just allow the younger drivers the chance to get into a decent car earlier without self funding to get noticed or having to wait for a top driver to retire.
05-05-2011, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 03:14 PM by chemics.)
http://www.crash.net/world+rally/news/16...mpaign=rss

As expected, VW into WRC in 2013. They are also ending their works Dakar program. Carlos Sainz will work on development of the WRC car with the team who will start by working with Skoda in IRC to gain some knowledge there first.

Sounds like a smart move, the Dakar doesn't get the coverage that WRC gets and it's only really on for 3 weeks a year. I bet it costs a lot for a full works team and all the development that goes with it as well.
Pictures of what the car will look like are here.

http://jalopnik.com/5798998/the-volkswag.../gallery/1
05-05-2011, 08:04 PM
more good news for the rally world. let the driver speculation begin.
05-06-2011, 04:11 AM
Guess Nasser Al-Attiyah is a safe bet. Maybe also Giniel De Villiers. I'd say Sainz (the third Dakar VW driver) is too old for rallying, but on the other hand he has the experience the team lacks.
05-06-2011, 08:31 AM
(05-06-2011 04:11 AM)InterRaptor Wrote:  Guess Nasser Al-Attiyah is a safe bet. Maybe also Giniel De Villiers. I'd say Sainz (the third Dakar VW driver) is too old for rallying, but on the other hand he has the experience the team lacks.

I think Sainz will just be a development driver, he he is long past being young enough to be competitive. Al-Attiyah has been mentioned ever since the program was known about. I think after that they will go for an established WRC driver if they are serious, possibly Petter Solberg, but who knows by 2013.

De Villiers will be 40 by the start of the 2013 season and with no top level Rallying in his background he doesn't make sense if they are serious about WRC.
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Oh, didn't realize De Villiers was that old (not in general, just motorsport-wise).
05-07-2011, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2011 11:23 AM by Original JB.)
I watched the first day of the Sardinia Rally after F1 Qualy tonight. I didn't expect much of the new Mini JCW car, but it was in 4th until it ran wide and tore off a wheel. The other car finished Day 1 in 6th. No matter the reasons for the 6th place, it's a great result for their team and good for WRC that a new team can enter and be competitive. VW will be hoping for the same.

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
05-07-2011, 02:37 PM
i'm not sure mini really counts as a new team. it's prodrive. they did subaru's works wrc team for years. they have a lot more knowledge than your average new entrant.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WRC 2013 highlights chemics 1 883 01-28-2013 05:48 PM
Last Post: Jackson
  WRC Mexico chemics 11 2,392 04-14-2010 04:33 PM
Last Post: Lephturn
  WRC TV Coverage chemics 0 991 01-27-2010 09:54 AM
Last Post: chemics
  WRC 2008 2M 2 1,411 03-01-2008 03:14 PM
Last Post: 2M