Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Intriguing situation developing over German GP
07-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Intriguing situation developing over German GP
Stolen from James Allen.

I’m interested in a few things which are developing for this weekend’s German Grand Prix at Hockenheim.

One is the weather, which looks wet for Friday and Saturday and then quite cool on Sunday at just 22 degrees.

Another is the tyre choice, with super soft tyres at one end of the range and the hard tyre at the other end. This is in itself the first time we have had such a range, which will make things very interesting from a strategy point of view as their operating ranges are very different.

We could have another Montreal on our hands.

The weather will play a part in this. If Sunday is as cool as forecast, hard tyres will struggle to warm up on some cars in the race, Mercedes is likely to feel quite nervous about this and I imagine Felipe Massa is weeping into his beer, as he has struggled all year to get performance out of the harder tyres. Engineers tell me that the hard tyre, which Bridgestone call the 199, will work in marginal temperatures, but the tricky bit is getting the fronts to work.

Another problem for the faster cars, which could level the playing field a bit, will be that the super softs will not last very long in the early part of the Grand Prix on the cars which qualify on them in the top ten on the grid.

This will be exacerbated should it rain, as is being predicted, which will leave the track green and that has massive graining on the super soft written all over it, particularly as there are lots of accelerations out of slow corners. So, we could have some of the top ten runners pitting very early in the race, which gives a chance to cars inside the top ten who can look after their tyres longer and possibly some outside the top ten, who can make a free choice on tyres at the start.

That said, we have been finding that whatever tyre you start the race on, the opening laps with full tanks tend to wreck the tyres pretty quickly. No-one has yet made the tactic or starting on the harder tyre work for them, because it obliges you to stop twice on tracks where the softer tyre is marginal, as it will be here. Will we see someone make it work this weekend? There’s a big reward if they can.

In the championship fight we have McLaren battling Red Bull, with a more competitive Ferrari in prospect, at least in Alonso’s hands.

Then we have the situation where McLaren has to validate the exhaust blown diffuser in practice on Friday, which might be made more difficult in the conditions,

“We’re working on the premise that we’ll have blown diffusers on both cars to start with. In Silverstone Lewis wanted to keep the blown diffuser on on Friday night. But we made the decision there to switch them both back to the old diffuser, ” said McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh today in a Vodafone phone in session.

Williams managed to bring its exhaust blown diffuser to Silverstone and get it to work sufficiently well on Friday that they ran it for the rest of the weekend with a big upswing in performance as a result. This was quite a piece of work by Williams, which was noted with respect by other team’s engineers, particularly as many had suggested the team was losing its way technically. Williams divided it’s drivers’ programmes on the Friday in Silverstone, with Barrichello running the new configuration and Hulkenberg the old.

“We could end up dividing the drivers if there was a preference from one side of the garage to the other.” said Whitmarsh. “If I can I will avoid that but we’ll do it if we think it’s the right way to perform.

“There are advantages to running one car in one configuration and one in the other. But provided that in so doing you don’t end up rightly or wrongly accused of treating the two drivers differently,” he added with an ironic nod in the direction of Red Bull, who are on Red Alert for even the smallest sign of driver favouritism.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2010, 06:47 PM
RE: Intriguing situation developing over German GP
this seems very odd to me. mercedes struggles with tire temperature and schumi struggles with poor front-end grip. the german fans are not going to be happy about watching michael flounder.

smart money's on jenson to solve this puzzle, methinks.
07-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Kobayashi to win first GP.

You heard it here first.

[Image: 2011e.gif]
07-22-2010, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2010 07:53 PM by Yaaay.)
Nothing would make me happier.
Well, apart from Jenson beating Lewis fair and square.
and Vettel crashing at the first corner again
and Lotus scoring its first points.
and Ross Brawn leaving to form his own team.

07-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Strangely, I think what I proposed is more likely than all of yours.

haha...well except maybe the Lotus one.

[Image: 2011e.gif]
07-23-2010, 01:08 AM
(07-22-2010 07:45 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  and Vettel crashing at the first corner again

Or breaking his car in the first 10 laps Big Grin perhaps even his wing Cool
07-23-2010, 03:52 AM
It's currently raining there.

[Image: PzKpfwVI.png]
07-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Proper rain too. How are McLaren supposed to get proper data on their blown diffuser in that.

07-23-2010, 05:31 AM
At some places you can really see puddles. Sad
07-23-2010, 05:41 AM
McLaren are so strong they get data regardless of the wheather.
It's the other teams that depend on perfect weather for their data.
And I think Button will be strong this weekend, he tends to be strong at the Hockenheim track (e.g. his Honda-Podium in 2006).
I still regret I won't be there this weekend...

What I'm looking forward to most is the german hopes shattered at the end of the GP. Webber, Button or Hamilton will win the race and there's no German on the podium, that's my prediction.

I like good looking cars, too.
[Image: timg404th.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-23-2010, 01:41 PM
A Vettel crash or car failure sounds good to me and it can come whenever it wants to in the race as long as it means he does not finish Big Grin
07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I want Schumi to have a great start and then crash with Hamilton in the first curve. They could take Kubica and Massa out with them, while Rosberg, Jenson and Nando have to go round the circuit with damaged cars to pit. After that, Petrov should run wide at some place and get stuck in the gravel. Liuzzi and Sutil shoot each other out while battling. The Williams both have gear box trouble, as they can't change from first gear into anything. Oh, and did I mention that Yamamoto had trouble after DJing on Friday evening, with someone not liking his style and sending him to hospital, thus having Karun drive? Of course the Virgins don't finish the race because of brake problems and Alguersuari misses his pit so has to drive an additional lap with destroyed tyres. And Vettel starts pointing his finger at the crowd 3 laps before the chequered flag, losing the car into a wall but ending up classified.

In the end, the order is:
1. Webber
2. Buemi
3. Kobayashi
4. Kovalainen
5. De la Rosa
6. Senna
7. Trulli
8. Chandhok
9. Vettel

The last point goes to Bernd Mayländer for leading most of the race.
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
That's exactly how I had pictured it. Except Jenson wins.