Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Android and Formula One - Eat that one Apple
06-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Android and Formula One - Eat that one Apple
As a Ferrari fan, and an early adopter of Google Android OS when I got a T-Mobile G1 in pre-release and now moved onto a Nexus One - I have to say that this is the phone that I really want... Smile

I wonder if this is the phone that Nando now sends his TXT messages on...

[Image: 20100601-ra312ejfjhm82p749x4denrhnf.jpg]

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/01/acer-...droid-2-1/

meep meep... Pitstop!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 09:40 PM
RE: Android and Formula One - Eat that one Apple
blech. who would want to look that much like a d-bag? even if you like ferrari, that just makes you look like a poser.

and the acer badging is a nice touch.
Find all posts by this user
06-01-2010, 09:47 PM
You are probably an Apple Fanboy too, right..?

meep meep... Pitstop!
06-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm with you on the Android direction. Can't wait to get hold of an Android tablet

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPed-Android...-6947.html

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
06-01-2010, 11:06 PM
(06-01-2010 09:47 PM)maltadawes Wrote:  You are probably an Apple Fanboy too, right..?

it has nothing to do with the phone, or the car for that matter. it's to do with having a brightly colored, gratuitously badged phone.

for the record, i have a blackberry. i would prefer an iphone, but not if it means leaving verizon. but regardless of my great love of porsche, i would not want a porsche branded phone. it's just silly. do you wear the bright red ferrari puma sneakers?
06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Nice item for a Ferrari team member, but I think I prefer a little more understated.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
06-02-2010, 01:40 AM
(06-01-2010 11:28 PM)Jackson Wrote:  Nice item for a Ferrari team member, but I think I prefer a little more understated.

carbon fibre HTC with Android operating system, would do me, along with Android iPed

Locator of Shruberies
06-02-2010, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2010 09:38 AM by InterRaptor.)
(06-01-2010 08:59 PM)maltadawes Wrote:  As a Ferrari fan, and an early adopter of Google Android OS when I got a T-Mobile G1 in pre-release and now moved onto a Nexus One - I have to say that this is the phone that I really want... Smile
Too bright for me. And I'm not sure Acer is the way to go. If HTC made it, it would be more interesting.

(06-01-2010 10:31 PM)leonbray Wrote:  I'm with you on the Android direction. Can't wait to get hold of an Android tablet

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPed-Android...-6947.html
I want an Android tablet, too. To be exact, I want that one.

(06-01-2010 11:06 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i would prefer an iphone, but not if it means leaving verizon.
If you're on Verizon, you should go and get a real phone, i.e. the Droid Incredible.

For the record, I don't work for Googleor HTC, just a proud Nexus One owner, enjoying Froyo.
06-02-2010, 09:40 AM
(06-02-2010 01:40 AM)leonbray Wrote:  
(06-01-2010 11:28 PM)Jackson Wrote:  Nice item for a Ferrari team member, but I think I prefer a little more understated.

carbon fibre HTC with Android operating system, would do me, along with Android iPed

+1...only not so sure about the iPed part.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
06-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Android will soon have adobe Flash support, so it will have a clear advantage over the iphone and ipad.
I currently have a blackberry provided by my work, but I really would like to buy a HTC with Android.
06-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Jailbreak your iPhone and all is good. Funny how Apple leads and the rest follow.
06-02-2010, 02:48 PM
(06-02-2010 09:38 AM)InterRaptor Wrote:  
(06-01-2010 11:06 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i would prefer an iphone, but not if it means leaving verizon.
If you're on Verizon, you should go and get a real phone, i.e. the Droid Incredible.

yeah, the droids look good. but i'm pinned to my blackberry for a while. hopefully the 4g iphone will be on verizon by the time my contract is up. i've only twice encountered a flash website on my ipad. surprising how little one misses it considering how ubiquitous people make it out to be.
06-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Well I have Flash on my Nexus One, but really just because I wanted to check it out. Have never missed it before.

@Mayonaise: That's the whole point, Apple has been overtaken by Android in the technology innovation aspect. That's what happens when you close your system so no one else can produce hardware for it. It's 1 new iPhone per year vs. 20+ Android phones with different specs (e.g. physical keyboard).

Same story we saw we PC vs. Mac some years ago.
06-03-2010, 09:05 AM
I think OS4 will reset the playing field. I'm a bit of a Mac convert. Since I don't do PC gaming anymore I need reliability in my systems. Windows always became far to buggy for me and I hated having to spend a day wiping drives clean and doing complete re-installs once a year.
06-03-2010, 10:21 AM
(06-03-2010 09:05 AM)Mayonaise Wrote:  I think OS4 will reset the playing field.

We'll see what Steve Jobs will be saying at his keynote next week, I'm very curious. In general, I think the competition is good for us customers.

But I still prefer Android. Smile
06-03-2010, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2010 12:53 PM by Koala.)
I have a HTC Desire with Android 2.1 - the phone is virtually a direct copy physically of the Iphone - a little more plastic and a plastic screen cover not glass but overall the actual screen and features leave the Iphone for dead.

I'm not an Apple fanboy - too controlling and closed - why no sd card reader on Iphone - because jobs wants to charge you way more than the memory cost for a Ipad/Iphone with more memory, - no replaceable battery - so you upgrade in 2 years or less when the battery dies- no flash - because it threatens his App store monopoly - it goes on and on

I have a HTC HD2 phone also - and physically this phone is better than the Desire - the Android equivalent "EVO 4G" is out soon - also the Dell Streak looks interesting as a Android phone ----- Android Ver 2.2 is a major advance so don't get an android phone without it.

Some of the Android pads being previewed now also look good and with way better specs than the Ipad
06-03-2010, 03:02 PM
android has better hardware and much more potential, but it doesn't mean bupkis when the software isn't there. software is everything, and apple has way better software. they write a better OS and they get better app development.

i don't like the constant constriction of the fences, but i put up with it because the product is worth it.
06-03-2010, 06:38 PM
(06-03-2010 12:53 PM)Koala Wrote:  I have a HTC Desire with Android 2.1 - the phone is virtually a direct copy physically of the Iphone - a little more plastic and a plastic screen cover not glass but overall the actual screen and features leave the Iphone for dead.

I'm not an Apple fanboy - too controlling and closed - why no sd card reader on Iphone - because jobs wants to charge you way more than the memory cost for a Ipad/Iphone with more memory, - no replaceable battery - so you upgrade in 2 years or less when the battery dies- no flash - because it threatens his App store monopoly - it goes on and on

I have a HTC HD2 phone also - and physically this phone is better than the Desire - the Android equivalent "EVO 4G" is out soon - also the Dell Streak looks interesting as a Android phone ----- Android Ver 2.2 is a major advance so don't get an android phone without it.

Some of the Android pads being previewed now also look good and with way better specs than the Ipad

I'm with you - as soon as the get Google wave sorted and we can workgroup conference on the android pad and phone, there will be no competition for a business environment.

Going to be great on race day - wifi point with timing streaming to phone and TV coverage streaming to a pad

Locator of Shruberies
06-03-2010, 07:51 PM
(06-03-2010 03:02 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  android has better hardware and much more potential, but it doesn't mean bupkis when the software isn't there. software is everything, and apple has way better software. they write a better OS and they get better app development.

i don't like the constant constriction of the fences, but i put up with it because the product is worth it.

Up until recently I would have agreed - Android 1.6 was definitely inferior with the Apps probably not as good -- 6 months later Android 2.1 was just as good whereas Ver 2.2 arguably surpasses the OS on the 3GS with enhancements like tethering, access to the sd card for apps installation and WIFI hotspot functionality as well as major general performance improvements etc . There has been a major expansion in Apps being supplied in the last 3-4 months and some of the ones I have installed on my HTC desire as absolutely comparable to any Iphone Apps

The Xperia X10 physically exceeds any physical specs on a 3GS but only runs Android 1.6 until later in the year - there are a host of great spec phones being released shortly which is probably why Apple are upspecing the Iphone shortly.

If you use Gmail/Google Apps the applications and Android interface/functionality with those products are absolutely awesome.

At the end of the day the competition is what is great - clearly the Iphone is a great device - it has sparked the innovation in the market and invigorated the market and no doubt the new version out shortly will raise the bar again (or at least catch up with some of the new competitor devices just being released).

The big challenge for Apple is that there are a huge number of manufacturers and developers that in the last 6 months have adopted Android as a platform - its greater adoption in the market, open source status and use on higher end spec phones etc will mean that as a platform it will develop dramatically now.
06-04-2010, 08:09 AM
A lot of people will still buy the i-phone just because it's Apple, they don't care what it does or doesn't do, they just want an i-phone. That's one of the powers of the brand.
06-04-2010, 08:53 AM
The not so good side of open sources.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...sNewsFifth
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
(06-04-2010 08:53 AM)Mayonaise Wrote:  The not so good side of open sources.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...sNewsFifth

Frankly that to me is one of the strongest points of Android. Any company (in this example a bank) can have the application directly on it's website rather than in the Market/Store/Whatever, and users can install the app from there. Thus we have
a) a guarantee that the app is really from whom it says it is
b ) a way to install a banking app without telling any other company (be it Apple, Google, Blackberry or anyone else) where our money is
c) particularly important for us Europeans: no need to go through servers in the USA to install financial apps

Only thing needed is educated users who know not to install stuff without checking it first. Anyone stupid enough to enter their banking information in an app without checking with their bank if it's legit deserves to get hit.

Help people get educated, don't make all decisions for them.
06-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Educating the masses is futile. Just like getting websites to not code crappy flash. Apple is being more realistic by protecting the masses.

*the opinions expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those held by frankdouglason.
06-04-2010, 11:39 PM
if you saw how much bandwidth flash consumes you would have to support Apple's decision. We block flash for a lot of our commercial customers purely on the basis of network overhead

Doesn't make the apple product superior but it probably improves the user experience

Locator of Shruberies
06-05-2010, 06:58 AM
(06-04-2010 11:39 PM)leonbray Wrote:  if you saw how much bandwidth flash consumes you would have to support Apple's decision. We block flash for a lot of our commercial customers purely on the basis of network overhead

Doesn't make the apple product superior but it probably improves the user experience

To use adobe flash or not should be a customer decision, not Apple's.
But we all know that Steve Jobs thinks he's God and that customer choice is irrelevant.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Android Passes iPhone In Total U.S. Subscribers InterRaptor 12 2,874 01-08-2011 07:55 AM
Last Post: Koala