Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
USGP to Return in 2012.. In Texas?
05-25-2010, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2010 03:01 PM by mp422crazy.)
USGP to Return in 2012.. In Texas?
From autosport.com http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83873

The United States Grand Prix will return to the Formula 1 calendar in 2012 after a deal was struck for a race to be held in Austin, Texas.

Following weeks of speculation about the potential return of a race in America, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone announced on Tuesday night that the event will take place from 2012 to 2021 on a new purpose-built facility in Austin.

Ecclestone said: "For the first time in the history of Formula 1 in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event.

"It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success.

"Since then, F1 has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval.

"Lewis Hamilton won the last F1 United States Grand Prix in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for F1 in the US."

The deal with Ecclestone has been put together by promoters Full Throttle Productions, and its managing partner Tavo Hellmund.

Speaking about the deal, which comes after speculation of events in New Jersey and New York State, Hellmund said: "This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the 'it' cities in the United States.

"We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event."

No details have yet emerged about the track layout, or whereabouts in Austin the venue will be built.
AND USF1 will show up with their original car design!

[Image: usf1.jpg]

That is a Texas sized F1 car.

[Image: Kamui-Kobayashi-Toyota.jpg]
Proud Supporter of the Crazy Kobayashi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2010, 03:11 PM
RE: USGP to Return in 2012.. In Texas?
Serious money needed which I doubt Tavo Hellmund has. I hope he isn't another Gillett.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2010 03:13 PM by Sardag.)
yep looks like confirmed
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2...10824.html

So 2012 flying to Austin again.

Actually I have been to Austin 4 times in last 2 years it truly an amazing city.
(05-25-2010 02:54 PM)mp422crazy Wrote:  From autosport.com http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83873

The United States Grand Prix will return to the Formula 1 calendar in 2012 after a deal was struck for a race to be held in Austin, Texas.

Following weeks of speculation about the potential return of a race in America, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone announced on Tuesday night that the event will take place from 2012 to 2021 on a new purpose-built facility in Austin.

Ecclestone said: "For the first time in the history of Formula 1 in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event.

"It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success.

We all know who will provide the TOASTERS Smile

"Since then, F1 has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval.

"Lewis Hamilton won the last F1 United States Grand Prix in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for F1 in the US."

The deal with Ecclestone has been put together by promoters Full Throttle Productions, and its managing partner Tavo Hellmund.

Speaking about the deal, which comes after speculation of events in New Jersey and New York State, Hellmund said: "This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the 'it' cities in the United States.

"We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event."

No details have yet emerged about the track layout, or whereabouts in Austin the venue will be built.
AND USF1 will show up with their original car design!

[Image: usf1.jpg]

That is a Texas sized F1 car.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-25-2010, 03:19 PM
I would have prepared more than this.

http://www.fullthrottleproductionslp.com/

05-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Strange really, not that I'm complaining, but what's the business model? If Indy couldn't make it work (profitable), how could a private consortium who has to fund and construct a multi-hundred-million dollar facility do it?

curious...
05-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I could see there being strong ties to SMI (Speedway Motorsports Inc) who own: Atlanta, Bristol, Infineon, Kentucky, Las Vegas, Lowe's, and most importantly Texas Motor Speedway. Burton Smith and Eddie Gossage are two of the most powerful people in American Racing pormotion with ties to every major level of racing in the United States, Nascar to Indycar and their feeder series, and could have both the capital requried as well as the connections to make a race like this happen in Texas. Interesting to see what will happen to the track, of course it will be up to FIA standards and I believe it will be the only one besides Indy which is. Could open a door for more FIA sanctioned series to race in the United States. I'm thinking FIA GT, F1, GP2/3, F2 are all possiblities.

[Image: Kamui-Kobayashi-Toyota.jpg]
Proud Supporter of the Crazy Kobayashi
05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
great, now the rest of the world will continue to think that america is full of cowboys.

seriously though, it's great that f1 is coming back. hopefully this new track will join the ranks of under-appreciated proper race tracks in this country.
05-25-2010, 04:02 PM
And, since Texas is "a whole other country", those who would can still cling to a potential NYC event, referring to Austin as the "North American Grand Prix" (alá Valencia)!
05-25-2010, 04:10 PM
(05-25-2010 04:02 PM)gr Wrote:  And, since Texas is "a whole other country", those who would can still cling to a potential NYC event, referring to Austin as the "North American Grand Prix" (alá Valencia)!

Plus a long term contract for Montreal and there's a month of F1 over here and people can stop complaining it's too expensive to move the whole show to Canada for one race in North America.
05-25-2010, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2010 04:49 PM by rathump.)
(05-25-2010 03:19 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I would have prepared more than this.

I wondered who is this guy and a Google search netted the following:

http://www.racingwest.com/drivers/tavo-ct-hellmund/
<begin>
Tavo (CT) Hellmund
Born .: 06/24/1970
(39 Years Old)
Hometown .: Austin, Texas
Height .: 6" 0"
Weight .: 160 lbs.
Children .: Kate

.: More Driver Cards

Tavo (CT) Hellmund Driver Bio
Considered by many in racing to be the "real deal", Tavo (C.T.) Hellmund has built the kind of reputation as a winner in all types of racing cars that makes people believe that he has a bright future in NASCAR. Despite always under-funded efforts, he has proven he has what it takes by winning or leading consistently in the NASCAR Winston West Grand National Division, in NASCAR Late Models, in IMCA Modifieds and in various open wheel cars. He is college educated, speaks fluent Spanish and English, and is the creator of the highly acclaimed Safe & Sober� program for high schools. He has even been commended by President George W. Bush. He is without a doubt the total package on and off the track, with only the lack of proper funding so far holding him back.
<end>

His website looks like the USF1 website early on. He doesn't have enough money or sponsors to race in NASCAR West! How the hell is he going to build a world class F1 facility in Austin Texas? Another silly American making the rest of us Americans look foolish?
05-25-2010, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2010 04:53 PM by Sardag.)
(05-25-2010 04:48 PM)rathump Wrote:  
(05-25-2010 03:19 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I would have prepared more than this.

I wondered who is this guy and a Google search netted the following:

http://www.racingwest.com/drivers/tavo-ct-hellmund/
<begin>
Tavo (CT) Hellmund
Born .: 06/24/1970
(39 Years Old)
Hometown .: Austin, Texas
Height .: 6" 0"
Weight .: 160 lbs.
Children .: Kate

.: More Driver Cards

Tavo (CT) Hellmund Driver Bio
Considered by many in racing to be the "real deal", Tavo (C.T.) Hellmund has built the kind of reputation as a winner in all types of racing cars that makes people believe that he has a bright future in NASCAR. Despite always under-funded efforts, he has proven he has what it takes by winning or leading consistently in the NASCAR Winston West Grand National Division, in NASCAR Late Models, in IMCA Modifieds and in various open wheel cars. He is college educated, speaks fluent Spanish and English, and is the creator of the highly acclaimed Safe & Sober� program for high schools. He has even been commended by President George W. Bush. He is without a doubt the total package on and off the track, with only the lack of proper funding so far holding him back.
<end>

His website looks like the USF1 website early on. He doesn't have enough money or sponsors to race in NASCAR West! How the hell is he going to build a world class F1 facility in Austin Texas? Another silly American making the rest of us Americans look foolish?

Can he be somehow connected with Ken A?
Since he was still hoping to be on the grid maybe he is using this person.
05-25-2010, 04:54 PM
(05-25-2010 04:52 PM)Sardag Wrote:  Can he be somehow connected with Ken A?

Investment cousins or Uncle Nomoneybags and nephew Noclue.
05-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Speaking of Gillet, Bernie is shrewd enough.....bad contracts are worth more than good ones. When Donnington Park didn't deliver, Bernie still got paid and better yet didn't have to perform. Same goes for USF1 and Austin TX.
05-25-2010, 04:59 PM
(05-25-2010 04:58 PM)tsarcasm Wrote:  Speaking of Gillet, Bernie is shrewd enough.....bad contracts are worth more than good ones. When Donnington Park didn't deliver, Bernie still got paid and better yet didn't have to perform. Same goes for USF1 and Austin TX.

That assumes that the person you have a contact with has money or assets.
05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Thinking hypothetically

- In Texas land is no problem so they found it in a day
- Plans approved in a day
- Permits are done in a day
-Circuit approved by FIA in a day
- Funding is secured

how on the earth
they will have Hermann Tilke(or some one else) design and construct a circuit from ground up in 1.5 or 2 years? (depends on the 2012 calendar)
05-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeehaw! Austin is a 2-hour drive from my house. I'm there. All I can say is they better not schedule the race in the middle of the summer heat or they are going to be sorry. Don't they remember what happened at the Dallas Grand Prix back in the early 80's?

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
I hope the Obama administration puts Hermann Tilke on the "no fly list."
That way, he can't come to Texas and design another Tilkedrome.

[Image: rpm_g_wheldon01jr_288.jpg]
05-25-2010, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2010 06:26 PM by InterRaptor.)
I will believe in this when I see cars lining up on the grid in 2012. There are quite a few things speaking against Austin (track remains to be built, funding to be found, zero interest by population, ...) which make me think we might see Bernie pull out of it.

And IF it takes place as scheduled, please don't dear US customs people, don't let Tilke enter the country.
05-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes, this could be just another elaborate hoax to get someone somewhere to do what Bernie wants him to do.

The Donington thing was just that, to make Silverstone sort out a proper plan and it worked.

05-25-2010, 06:57 PM
(05-25-2010 05:46 PM)Sardag Wrote:  how on the earth
they will have Hermann Tilke(or some one else) design and construct a circuit from ground up in 1.5 or 2 years? (depends on the 2012 calendar)

Probably roughly the same way that ground was broken in Korea mid-September 2009 and they expect to be done in July, one would imagine.
05-25-2010, 07:00 PM
(05-25-2010 06:25 PM)InterRaptor Wrote:  I will believe in this when I see cars lining up on the grid in 2012. There are quite a few things speaking against Austin (track remains to be built, funding to be found, zero interest by population, ...) which make me think we might see Bernie pull out of it.

I agree that it seems unlikely, but being in Texas, if not in Austin itself, I take exception to your comment regarding zero interest by population. I am interested, so I should count for 0.000001% at least. I would be over the moon if there was an F1 race within easy driving distance of me, however unlikely it may sound.

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
05-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Bring it on! Very exciting news.

Even though Austin seems like an odd place to me, it's in a fairly good spot to reach from most of the US (from a flight perspective). And it's a decent flight from LA, which works for me. Smile

I sincerely hope this works. It'll be great to get F1 back in the states. If this gets off the ground, I'll be at the GP!
05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I gotta get some Stetson F1weekly hats made!
And maybe some F1weekly spurs!!

Clark Rodgers -The Host of F1weekly.com  

[Image: hs1jjl.jpg]
05-25-2010, 07:51 PM
(05-25-2010 06:22 PM)cozmoose Wrote:  I hope the Obama administration puts Hermann Tilke on the "no fly list."
That way, he can't come to Texas and design another Tilkedrome.

We can only hope.

--------------------------------

Do any F1 races actually make money ? - I know Melbourne doesn't and relys on state government support.

They have to finance and build a new circuit by 2012 in the current world economic environment - can't see it happening
05-25-2010, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2010 08:00 PM by leonbray.)
(05-25-2010 07:34 PM)F1weekly Wrote:  I gotta get some Stetson F1weekly hats made!
And maybe some F1weekly spurs!!

You want me to logo up my pair of ivory handled Colts and the Winchester
(05-25-2010 07:16 PM)JRocket Wrote:  Bring it on! Very exciting news.

Even though Austin seems like an odd place to me, it's in a fairly good spot to reach from most of the US (from a flight perspective). And it's a decent flight from LA, which works for me. Smile

I sincerely hope this works. It'll be great to get F1 back in the states. If this gets off the ground, I'll be at the GP!

It is the nicest town in Texas and probably got the most "international" population with the research labs of most of the IT leaders and the home of Dell ... plus I can get free accommodation. Spent some time there in the late 90's at Tandem's Labs

Wonder where they will put the track - probably out near Webberville

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sourc...6&t=h&z=12

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Sad Alexander Rossi to drive in practice at USGP leonbray 4 578 10-17-2013 09:55 PM
Last Post: frankdouglason
  USGP to Return in 2013.. In New Jersey? bmw85 11 2,260 08-04-2011 08:52 AM
Last Post: chemics
  USGP Tickets! cozmoose 12 2,244 03-27-2007 11:44 AM
Last Post: DesireeF1Weekly