Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hamilton news for all you Hammy-lovers.
07-21-2015, 09:13 PM
RE: Hamilton news for all you Hammy-lovers.
(07-21-2015 08:38 PM)leonbray Wrote:  - the dress code became more casual
- new focus on shareholders rather than stakeholders
- the way we treated employees became a mechanism for pleasing the Wall Street analysts
- succumbed to the cult of hero CEO worship
- management by the short term numbers
- absorbed into a larger US conglomerate

of those six changes, the first seems like it would be really inconsequential compared to the other five. focus on shareholders and lack of long term vision/planning seem like the real trouble to me; the things that seem to always be there when you look back on collapsed business.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2015, 08:50 AM
I think what Leon says makes sense. Did appearance cause the business to fail? Probably not; however, it's a great way to illustrate the decline in the business's core values. A major shift of core values brings about the other changes and errors that he mentioned and could be an excellent indicator to potential issues.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
07-22-2015, 10:08 AM
(07-22-2015 08:50 AM)Jackson Wrote:  I think what Leon says makes sense. Did appearance cause the business to fail? Probably not; however, it's a great way to illustrate the decline in the business's core values. A major shift of core values brings about the other changes and errors that he mentioned and could be an excellent indicator to potential issues.

I'm not sure dress code and core values are the same thing. Dress has become more casual in most offices in the last 20-30 years as a general rule. I don't think that indicates that business has become more slack. I suspect attributing the change in dress to the other things is a stretch. I wouldn't be surprised that even if new management has the same core values as the outgoing one that dress codes would have relaxed regardless.

Some may see the increase in flexible working, changes in dress codes and the general flexibility of employers as negative change, but it's just the way the world and the new workforce is. Flexibility works both ways and if it's done right the employer gains as much as the employee. I know having flexibility when I need it for appointments or when my son is sick makes me more inclined to put the extra effort in the rest of the time when we are busy.
07-22-2015, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 06:51 PM by leonbray.)
What I was trying to illustrate was he decline in standards that eventually led to the eventual demise of the company. The core values we had were high performance, customer focus, disciplined approach, personal integrity and accountability and employees that were valued. These values were very visible, including the way we dressed and the way we treated our employees. A diminished dress code was the start of the visible evidence of the decline.

Relaxing the dress code was the start, which led to other more casual approaches to doing business, including not having the balls to stick to our guns when it came to the fact that our business cycle was 18 months, not three months; and the hiring of a self promoting CEO who didn't have the discipline of a military background.

The self promoting hero mentality and the three month results hoo-ha resulted in a change from valuing the employees who generated the profits (service oriented company) to promoting the guy at the top. The "decline" in 3 monthly results meant that the hero fired all the old guard, who knew how to make the business work and were respected by the employees, and by the time the board realised what was happening and fired the hero, it was too late as the customers had started to vote with their feet.

It is interesting that as the standards declined, the business became less flexible, with an increase in centralised control and support for its employees replaced with draconian fear. The people that were left who once loved the business were unable to do business.

Even when we had the dress code, we had an enormous amount of personal flexibility, because there was also an expectation of personal accountability. When someone broke faith with that personal accountability, they were held accountable and bore the consequences. In the "new era", if someone screwed up then everyone was punished by a more rigid policy and procedure and the perpetrator generally was not held accountable.

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
07-22-2015, 09:31 PM
little did we know, those silk straps were what was keeping our heads from falling off...
07-22-2015, 09:49 PM
(07-22-2015 09:31 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  little did we know, those silk straps were what was keeping our heads from falling off...

only if they were a plain prime colour or striped. Images and cartoons were the work of the undisciplined ans disrespectful ...

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
07-22-2015, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 11:41 PM by Neonzapper.)
What a thread! I like Yaaay's private club rules about Hamiltons.

I have noticed the clothing at F1 events when the camera pans the spectators. It looks like most are wearing casual clothing with no reference to a particular team or the F1 sport. Here in the United States, most spectators wear team or player apparel at sporting events.

...but not in the Royal Box. Big Grin

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
07-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Is there any venue in the US that has a Royal Box?

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
07-23-2015, 08:25 AM
(07-22-2015 06:48 PM)leonbray Wrote:  What I was trying to illustrate was he decline in standards that eventually led to the eventual demise of the company. The core values we had were high performance, customer focus, disciplined approach, personal integrity and accountability and employees that were valued. These values were very visible, including the way we dressed and the way we treated our employees. A diminished dress code was the start of the visible evidence of the decline.

Relaxing the dress code was the start, which led to other more casual approaches to doing business, including not having the balls to stick to our guns when it came to the fact that our business cycle was 18 months, not three months; and the hiring of a self promoting CEO who didn't have the discipline of a military background.

The self promoting hero mentality and the three month results hoo-ha resulted in a change from valuing the employees who generated the profits (service oriented company) to promoting the guy at the top. The "decline" in 3 monthly results meant that the hero fired all the old guard, who knew how to make the business work and were respected by the employees, and by the time the board realised what was happening and fired the hero, it was too late as the customers had started to vote with their feet.

It is interesting that as the standards declined, the business became less flexible, with an increase in centralised control and support for its employees replaced with draconian fear. The people that were left who once loved the business were unable to do business.

Even when we had the dress code, we had an enormous amount of personal flexibility, because there was also an expectation of personal accountability. When someone broke faith with that personal accountability, they were held accountable and bore the consequences. In the "new era", if someone screwed up then everyone was punished by a more rigid policy and procedure and the perpetrator generally was not held accountable.

I've worked with people who dress very formally and were slack and those that are more casual and are completely dependable. Having a formal dress code makes no difference to that, it just puts everyone in a suit. Management, policy and focus make far more difference than letting people come to work in business casual instead of a suit. Perhaps in your organisation it made a difference, or maybe the old guard linked it with the changes in policy and focus as part of the wider issue.

It sounds to me that the change in dress code was just something that happened at the same time as all the important changes that ruined the company, rather than something that led to the decline.
07-23-2015, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 08:34 AM by Neonzapper.)
(07-23-2015 07:58 AM)drmarkf Wrote:  Is there any venue in the US that has a Royal Box?

The only thing that comes to mind is the President's Box at the Kennedy Center. When not in use by the President (which is 99.9% of the time), these box seats are for sale to the public at all events.

07-23-2015, 08:52 AM
(07-23-2015 07:58 AM)drmarkf Wrote:  Is there any venue in the US that has a Royal Box?

I doubt it, didn't they have a war to kick us out! Big Grin

I don't get the impression that US sport goes for the formal scene too much. Perhaps there would be one at the Ballet or something like that.
07-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Yeah, US sport is not too formal (I'd say golf would be an exception), so I'm not aware of any venue where there is a Presidential Box.

Most of our national teams do not have a "home ground" either, which seems like a good place for a Presidential Box.

I know President Obama is a White Sox fan...I'm sure they could make a box available for him at a moments notice.

07-23-2015, 11:06 AM
On a sort-of related note, I liked the idea of a 'super-fan' box at the Montreal GP I went to in '08. This was sponsored by someone (Molson, maybe) and there was a competition on the Saturday and the winner got to sit in an excellent personal box at the end of the pit straight on race day, with all-day free beer, hot dogs and loose women.

OK, I made that last one up.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
07-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Yeah, if the winner was a girl they would have to supply loose men and they don't exist.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
07-23-2015, 01:41 PM
(07-23-2015 08:52 AM)chemics Wrote:  

wait, you're royalty?
07-23-2015, 01:43 PM
(07-23-2015 01:41 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 08:52 AM)chemics Wrote:  

wait, you're royalty?

damn right I am, you should refer to me as lord chemics from now on peasant!

or perhaps I misunderstood when my wife said i was a royal pain in the arse at times.
07-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Don't all Americans think us Brits are all related to the Queen and go round for tea and cakes?

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
07-23-2015, 06:11 PM
(07-23-2015 05:40 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Don't all Americans think us Brits are all related to the Queen and go round for tea and cakes?

Wait...Johnny Rotten wasn't singing about his grandmother?!?!

07-23-2015, 08:51 PM
(07-23-2015 05:40 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Don't all Americans think us Brits are all related to the Queen and go round for tea and cakes?

no, we think you grovel at their feet and afterward drink tea.
07-23-2015, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 09:59 PM by Neonzapper.)
Tea and crumpets any one? I don't think Hammy would fit in well here in our D.C. area. Aside from visiting the monuments and seeing Congress in action, the real stars of D.C. wear conservatively low-key attire and mostly speak legal jargon. That's not Hammy's idea of fun, but the power is there.

Oh, and America does have a President's Box. Ford's Theater had the President's Box in use until Lincoln was assassinated. From then, it was discontinued, but reinstated when the Kennedy Center opened. Usually, the President is in Black Tie, while the audience normally wears business attire.

Universities have a President's Box, but it is for the University President to entertain at sporting events.

Every team owner across America has an owner's box. But here in D.C., American Presidents enjoy wearing casual attire while seated among the people. George H. W. Bush loved baseball so much, he would quite often attend minor league games in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs.

An American tradition every year on the opening day of baseball season (April), the President throws out the first pitch at the Washington baseball team's first home game. Decades ago, the President wore a suit and tie while doing this, but now wear baseball attire.

The Queen's love of horses has brought her to Kentucky at Churchill Downs for the first leg of the triple crown. Her influence has remained at this event where the ladies are seen wearing fashionable hats in the style of the Queen.

Hammy's fashion sense is more of a first-time Hollywood visitor.

07-23-2015, 11:50 PM
(07-23-2015 09:34 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  An American tradition every year on the opening day of baseball season (April), the President throws out the first pitch at the Washington baseball team's first home game. Decades ago, the President wore a suit and tie while doing this, but now wear baseball attire.

does obama wear his chisox gear to the nats opening day? did dubya wear his rangers stuff?
07-24-2015, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2015 10:26 AM by Jackson.)
President Obama wore White Sox when he threw out the first pitch at the All Star game a few years ago...

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2009...hrows.html

Then a Nats jacket with a Sox hat at Nats opening day...

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/Obama%20...02010.jpeg

Found a picture of President Bush just sporting Nats gear...

[Image: 10pu2jo.jpg]

What did the presidents do during the time that DC didn't have a baseball team from '71 - '05?

07-24-2015, 02:50 PM
(07-24-2015 10:22 AM)Jackson Wrote:  What did the presidents do during the time that DC didn't have a baseball team from '71 - '05?

weep quietly to themselves, or go to the baltimore game, which isn't much different.
07-24-2015, 04:57 PM
(07-24-2015 02:50 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 10:22 AM)Jackson Wrote:  What did the presidents do during the time that DC didn't have a baseball team from '71 - '05?

weep quietly to themselves, or go to the baltimore game, which isn't much different.

Big Grin
True! Both Washington & Baltimore made the playoffs last year, and Washington was pretty dominate in the regular season, but Baltimore seems to be wrestling with mediocrity this year.

07-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Lewis Hamilton chose number 44, because he won his first karting race with that number. He also equates himself with Hank "Hammer" Aaron who beat Babe Ruth's (most in one season) home run record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQhPZmv1ko

[Image: ibj4fr.jpg]

[Image: 2lwmavl,jpeg]

When given the option to choose number 1, Hamilton replied, "It doesn't make any difference. I'll still be 44 but underlying that the drivers will know I'm number one."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hamilton and Rosberg news Cé hé sin 57 4,339 06-01-2015 05:09 AM
Last Post: frankdouglason
  Weekend News in Brief trickydicky 17 1,476 02-26-2014 10:18 PM
Last Post: leonbray
  Li'l Hammy's got a show on the telly gr 4 677 03-08-2012 05:36 AM
Last Post: Yaaay
  Lotus news? InterRaptor 21 3,454 09-01-2010 08:16 AM
Last Post: chemics
  WTH?... Hammy borrows Danica's reject shades ballzout in so cal 7 1,304 03-11-2010 06:45 PM
Last Post: rathump