Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hamilton news for all you Hammy-lovers.
07-13-2015, 11:35 AM
RE: Hamilton news for all you Hammy-lovers.
He was offered a tie and jacket from the spares department but turned them down.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2015, 04:31 PM
(07-13-2015 11:35 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  He was offered a tie and jacket from the spares department but turned them down.

Yes, I stand corrected.

I've just checked on the ties on offer from Mclaren spares in Woking -

[Image: solid-grey-silk-tie-991_600.jpg]

...and Mercedes in Brackley -

[Image: grey_tie_plain_ottoman_tie_-_19239.jpg]

He may have made the correct decision.

However, I guess this is more in keeping with that sh1t shirt -

[Image: i_love_bling_tie-r7ea48db5a9104ce0af622d...vr_324.jpg]

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
07-20-2015, 12:59 PM
(07-13-2015 12:27 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  a dress code for the spectators? ugh. i can't believe they don't all suffocate under the stuffiness.

I think the dress code was for the Royal Box, it would have been printed on his invite had he bothered to read it.
07-20-2015, 06:01 PM
(07-20-2015 12:59 PM)chemics Wrote:  
(07-13-2015 12:27 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  a dress code for the spectators? ugh. i can't believe they don't all suffocate under the stuffiness.

I think the dress code was for the Royal Box, it would have been printed on his invite had he bothered to read it.

so you're saying it's the monarchy imposing the dress code on their guests rather than the venue imposing the dress code on all spectators? i suppose that's better, but not by much. you're still just sitting there (in the summer heat) watching a sporting event. full disclosure: i think all dress codes beyond "be clothed" are bullshit.
07-20-2015, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 06:31 PM by Yaaay.)
You realise that all this is done for American tourists, they love this stuff. Its the club that imposes these codes, not the Queen. She doesn't own the box and wouldn't do things like that anyway.

It was an American who said, "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members". Groucho started all this.

07-20-2015, 08:38 PM
(07-20-2015 06:30 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  [the queen] wouldn't do things like that anyway.

yeah, when she entertains, she puts out some snacks, gets the music playing, and lets people mingle. she doesn't line them up and make them take turns bowing in front of her or anything.
07-21-2015, 08:21 AM
(07-20-2015 06:01 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 12:59 PM)chemics Wrote:  

so you're saying it's the monarchy imposing the dress code on their guests rather than the venue imposing the dress code on all spectators? i suppose that's better, but not by much. you're still just sitting there (in the summer heat) watching a sporting event. full disclosure: i think all dress codes beyond "be clothed" are bullshit.

good luck turning up to job interviews or court in your shorts and t-shirt.

I've noticed a significant change in office wear over the last 15 years, we're pretty casual where I am now with just needing to dress appropriately on the days we have visitors who would expect a more formal business level of dress. The rest of the time it's pretty casual. That's as much because we're a rural based engineering company as anything else though.

I'm sure if we were city based with clients in the office a lot we'd be expected to dress more formally. I don't think that's a big deal, dressing appropriately to your business environment is hardly a big ask.
07-21-2015, 10:00 AM
If I were to ever get invited to the Royal Box, you'd better believe I'd show up dressed civilized for the occasion. I know the Queen does not have any authority over me; however, as a visitor to the Head of State, I feel it's respectful and the proper thing to do. I would do that for any position that I felt deserved respect, President, Governor, Prime Minister, Congressman, etc.

Everyone says that dressing up is uncomfortable...but I think that means you're probably just wearing clothes that don't fit your size or the climate. I suppose if you don't dress up often, a heavy wool suit, for instance, that you wear once a year could be uncomfortable because you might have gained/lost weight since your last wear and it will probably be to warm in something like the blazing North Carolina summer.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
07-21-2015, 10:16 AM
(07-21-2015 10:00 AM)Jackson Wrote:  If I were to ever get invited to the Royal Box, you'd better believe I'd show up dressed civilized for the occasion. I know the Queen does not have any authority over me; however, as a visitor to the Head of State, I feel it's respectful and the proper thing to do. I would do that for any position that I felt deserved respect, President, Governor, Prime Minister, Congressman, etc.

Everyone says that dressing up is uncomfortable...but I think that means you're probably just wearing clothes that don't fit your size or the climate. I suppose if you don't dress up often, a heavy wool suit, for instance, that you wear once a year could be uncomfortable because you might have gained/lost weight since your last wear and it will probably be to warm in something like the blazing North Carolina summer.

I highly doubt the Queen was there anyway. Usually there might be a more senior royal present for the final (why not take advantage of a free ticket and a good seat) but I bet a lot of the time it's just a name to make it sound better and a good spot to watch the action from.
07-21-2015, 01:51 PM
(07-21-2015 08:21 AM)chemics Wrote:  good luck turning up to job interviews or court in your shorts and t-shirt.

this explains so much! seriously though, just because i think dress codes are jive doesn't mean i choose that battle. speaking of...

(07-21-2015 08:21 AM)chemics Wrote:  I don't think that's a big deal, dressing appropriately to your business environment is hardly a big ask.

i agree, it's not a big deal. but i do think it's unnecessary and pointless, so if i could wave my magic wand and end the practice, i would.

(07-21-2015 10:00 AM)Jackson Wrote:  I feel it's respectful and the proper thing to do. I would do that for any position that I felt deserved respect, President, Governor, Prime Minister, Congressman, etc.

that's the argument i hear most often (other than the dreaded "because this is how it's done"), and i just don't buy it. who are these people that are scandalized by the sight of someone's shirt buttons without a necktie concealing them, or of someone's neck without a collar to obscure it? i've never been offended by the type of clothing someone is wearing. to me, respectfulness comes from what one says and does, and i can be very disrespectful while wearing a designer suit, just as i can be perfectly respectful while wearing a hockey jersey.
07-21-2015, 02:07 PM
(07-21-2015 01:51 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 10:00 AM)Jackson Wrote:  I feel it's respectful and the proper thing to do. I would do that for any position that I felt deserved respect, President, Governor, Prime Minister, Congressman, etc.

that's the argument i hear most often (other than the dreaded "because this is how it's done"), and i just don't buy it. who are these people that are scandalized by the sight of someone's shirt buttons without a necktie concealing them, or of someone's neck without a collar to obscure it? i've never been offended by the type of clothing someone is wearing. to me, respectfulness comes from what one says and does, and i can be very disrespectful while wearing a designer suit, just as i can be perfectly respectful while wearing a hockey jersey.

Perhaps we are slowly moving to a happy medium, I think it's good to have some form of acceptable dress, there is always a minority that will overstep. If you have no dress code at all someone will turn up in something completely inappropriate for the environment. Leaving it wide open and expecting common sense to prevail never works. Sadly common sense just isn't that common. I think a lot of offices are pretty casual now unless they are client facing.
07-21-2015, 02:08 PM
(07-21-2015 01:51 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  

That's true, but I try to not be disrespectful even when wearing a suit. You should always act respectful, regardless of how you're dressed. Acting respectful and looking respectful should be something everyone strives to do.

Also, hockey jerseys are for playing hockey. Just like racing suits are for racing. Probably best to leave both at home unless using for their intended purpose.

07-21-2015, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 02:23 PM by frankdouglason.)
(07-21-2015 02:07 PM)chemics Wrote:  If you have no dress code at all someone will turn up in something completely inappropriate for the environment. Leaving it wide open and expecting common sense to prevail never works. Sadly common sense just isn't that common. I think a lot of offices are pretty casual now unless they are client facing.

i think i have a little more faith in people than you do, but i do concede that there will occasionally be times when people push the envelope too far. when that happens, management and/or human resources will (gasp) have to nut up and do their job. i'd also point out that there will, from time to time, be people who go too far with or without the imposition of a dress code.

(07-21-2015 02:08 PM)Jackson Wrote:  Also, hockey jerseys are for playing hockey. Just like racing suits are for racing. Probably best to leave both at home unless using for their intended purpose.

yeah, i've heard that before too. i'm curious; do you ever wear a ball cap when not playing baseball? ever wear blue jeans when not performing manual labor? ever wear sneakers when not engaged in athletic activity of some sort? ever wear your pajamas outside your bedroom? ever worn an overcoat when you should have worn a topcoat? ever worn a bowtie without wearing button caps? do you use spatterdashes, like a gentleman should? do you think we should all just relax and worry about ourselves?
07-21-2015, 02:42 PM
(07-21-2015 02:17 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 02:07 PM)chemics Wrote:  If you have no dress code at all someone will turn up in something completely inappropriate for the environment. Leaving it wide open and expecting common sense to prevail never works. Sadly common sense just isn't that common. I think a lot of offices are pretty casual now unless they are client facing.

i think i have a little more faith in people than you do, but i do concede that there will occasionally be times when people push the envelope too far. when that happens, management and/or human resources will (gasp) have to nut up and do their job. i'd also point out that there will, from time to time, be people who go too far with or without the imposition of a dress code.

I have very little faith in people, they're idiots! It's the same reason every other western country has gun control.

If we had faith in people we wouldn't need laws. I know wearing appropriate clothing is nothing compared to crime/gun control, but the reasons for needing some basic form of control are the same, some idiot will ruin it for the rest of us.

HR/Management will have a hard time "doing their job" if the dress code is wear what you want and they then have to deem it inappropriate. It's too arbitrary. I'm sure a lawyer would have a field day with the employer if any action was taken. Just look at the Canadian MP expenses scandal, what happened was clearly inappropriate use of Gov't funds, but the rules are all but non-existent, so it's in court for months and still ongoing. I suspect the parties involved will get away without criminal charges due to the fact they haven't technically broken a rule.
07-21-2015, 02:49 PM

07-21-2015, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 03:06 PM by frankdouglason.)
(07-21-2015 02:42 PM)chemics Wrote:  I have very little faith in people, they're idiots!

i think we can all agree with that, but it doesn't take much brains to put clothes on.

(07-21-2015 02:42 PM)chemics Wrote:  It's too arbitrary. I'm sure a lawyer would have a field day with the employer if any action was taken.

all dress codes are arbitrary. how do employers enforce them without landing in the courts? i honestly don't know this - it's not an area i've paid any attention to. but as with almost all legal problems, best to put it in the contract. if it was my company, with my especially arbitrary non-dress-code, every employment contract includes language stating that employees are to be dressed appropriately, at the determination of the employer. it's that easy. butt successfully covered.

(07-21-2015 02:49 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  

classic. and allow me to point out two things: 1) wearing a cloth suit did not magically make him more respectful than the leather jacket, and 2) neither the leather jacket nor the hilarious burgundy suit stopped him from performing good lawyering and winning the case. although they were momentarily surprising and even distracting, the jury was still more interested in what he had to say and show to them.
07-21-2015, 03:20 PM
(07-21-2015 03:01 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 02:42 PM)chemics Wrote:  I have very little faith in people, they're idiots!

i think we can all agree with that, but it doesn't take much brains to put clothes on.

(07-21-2015 02:42 PM)chemics Wrote:  It's too arbitrary. I'm sure a lawyer would have a field day with the employer if any action was taken.

all dress codes are arbitrary. how do employers enforce them without landing in the courts? i honestly don't know this - it's not an area i've paid any attention to. but as with almost all legal problems, best to put it in the contract. if it was my company, with my especially arbitrary non-dress-code, every employment contract includes language stating that employees are to be dressed appropriately, at the determination of the employer. it's that easy. butt successfully covered.

I'm sure it's as simple as you say and most people have the required level of common sense. I suspect the issue arises more in employers with larger quantities of unskilled labour where you tend to find uniforms present more often. It's far easier to do that than leave it to judgement or manage it in those cases. Customer facing organisations tend to be more prescriptive to avoid those bad judgement situations. There is no reason unskilled labour should be any less able to figure out what is appropriate, but some of the bigger idiots seem to fall into this category. It's probably one of the reasons they remain unskilled.

I wonder how often someone actually lost their job over what they wore, it would be pretty stupid to argue the point to that extent if your employer told you that your clothes were inappropriate.

I don't think the dress part of my employment contract/company policies is particularly descriptive. No doubt it requires "appropriate" attire to the situation you are in. We are so broad as a company with a manufacturing plant, and offices it would need to be very long to cover us all in a prescriptive manner. Our old CEO was very anti-suit and tie, that culture has remained after he left.

As a side note, our corporate bank recently had some sort of charity dress down day and one of the tellers was wearing jeans and a hockey jersey (no big surprise in Canada), it makes no difference to how I perceive him.
07-21-2015, 04:55 PM
i hadn't thought about unskilled labor. sometimes a dress code is necessary there. workers in stores and restaurants obviously need to be identifiable, but there are lots of ways to achieve that, and employees could pick what they prefer. telling a construction worker he needs to wear steel-toed boots is a safety thing, as well as productivity (avoiding worker's comp cases).

i worked a very brief temp job at a plastic jug factory once. hair nets were required for quality control and earplugs were required due to safety regulations. we were advised to wear long pants (plastic dust is a skin irritant), but nobody cared when i didn't (i'd rather be itchy than sweaty).

it's about whether the dress code is rationally related to the activity. getting back to where we started, the only dress code that i can think of beyond public decency that is rationally related to spectating a tennis match is "no big hats."
07-21-2015, 05:07 PM

(07-21-2015 02:08 PM)Jackson Wrote:  Also, hockey jerseys are for playing hockey. Just like racing suits are for racing. Probably best to leave both at home unless using for their intended purpose.

yeah, i've heard that before too. i'm curious; do you ever wear a ball cap when not playing baseball? ever wear blue jeans when not performing manual labor? ever wear sneakers when not engaged in athletic activity of some sort? ever wear your pajamas outside your bedroom? ever worn an overcoat when you should have worn a topcoat? ever worn a bowtie without wearing button caps? do you use spatterdashes, like a gentleman should? do you think we should all just relax and worry about ourselves?

Ball Cap - Yes, if I need to keep sun out of my eyes (functional), but not to the Royal Box
Blue Jeans - Yes, but only when appropriate and functional, not to the Royal Box
Pajamas Outside of the Bedroom - Does the bathroom count? Other than that, rarely (I suppose I've taken the dog out at 3am a few times though), and never to the Royal Box.
Overcoat/Topcoat - Depending upon the weather I think you can make an argument that they are interchangeable, and could be acceptable at the Royal Box.
Bow tie without wearing button caps - You're reaching Smile
Spatterdashes - Only when I visit 1920s London Smile
Do you think we should all just relax and worry about ourselves? - Bet Lewis said that right before he was asked to leave Tongue

07-21-2015, 06:23 PM
(07-21-2015 05:07 PM)Jackson Wrote:  

Ball Cap - Yes, if I need to keep sun out of my eyes (functional), but not to the Royal Box
Blue Jeans - Yes, but only when appropriate and functional, not to the Royal Box
Pajamas Outside of the Bedroom - Does the bathroom count? Other than that, rarely (I suppose I've taken the dog out at 3am a few times though), and never to the Royal Box.
Overcoat/Topcoat - Depending upon the weather I think you can make an argument that they are interchangeable, and could be acceptable at the Royal Box.
Bow tie without wearing button caps - You're reaching Smile
Spatterdashes - Only when I visit 1920s London Smile
Do you think we should all just relax and worry about ourselves? - Bet Lewis said that right before he was asked to leave Tongue

see, you're not playing by "the rules" either; you're making your own independent decisions about what is "appropriate." just extend that courtesy to everyone else.
07-21-2015, 06:32 PM
(07-21-2015 06:23 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  see, you're not playing by "the rules" either; you're making your own independent decisions about what is "appropriate." just extend that courtesy to everyone else.

All I'm saying is putting a little thought into your appearance and a good attitude will open more doors than a frumpy Oilers jersey with someone else's name on the back.

07-21-2015, 06:40 PM
(07-21-2015 06:32 PM)Jackson Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 06:23 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  see, you're not playing by "the rules" either; you're making your own independent decisions about what is "appropriate." just extend that courtesy to everyone else.

All I'm saying is putting a little thought into your appearance and a good attitude will open more doors than a frumpy Oilers jersey with someone else's name on the back.

i don't disagree with that assessment of our society. i'm saying it's a flaw in our society.

and also the fact that it used to be inappropriate to wear jeans and a ball cap to a department store or a family restaurant, but now it's fine means that these rules have no inherent value; they're just the bleatings of the herd. every generation tries to shame the next into conforming to their style. it's a pointless waste of energy. my hockey jersey is just a modernized version of my grandpa's crested sweater. it's all just clothes. wear what you like.
07-21-2015, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 07:43 PM by Yaaay.)
Look, this is a private members club. The owners can impose whatever rules they like. If I owned it anyone called Hamilton would have to wear a chicken suit and sing wibble wobble nickey nackey noo to get in.

If a restaurant makes dress rules I have the choice to respect them either by abiding by them or refusing to give them my custom.

The people in the public areas can wear what they like, they paid a grand to get in there after all.

07-21-2015, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 08:17 PM by frankdouglason.)
(07-21-2015 07:42 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Look, this is a private members club. The owners can impose whatever rules they like.

and i agree with that as well. i'm not trying to pass a law banning the practice. i'm just debating the merit of it.

(07-21-2015 07:42 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  The people in the public areas can wear what they like, they paid a grand to get in there after all.

should they get to wear what they like, though? yeah, they paid a bunch of money, so what? is it not still disrespectful to the venerable institution of wimbledon to dress like a common peasant there? next you'll be saying the tennis players can wear colors other than white, or the golfists at the open championship can wear shorts! what a scandal that would be!
07-21-2015, 08:38 PM
I worked for a privately held US company that had a strict dress code - even had to wear a suit coat when walking the corridors. They had a great work ethic and looked after their employees in amazing ways.

After the company was publicly listed, some of the traditions were also relaxed and the dress code became more casual. It also appeared that, with the new focus on shareholders rather than stakeholders, that the way we treated employees became a mechanism for pleasing the Wall Street analysts, rather than the way we achieved good profit and performance results. It also succumbed to the cult of hero CEO worship and management by the short term numbers demanded by the 30 year old analysts who managed to lead us into the GFC.

Sadly, the company is no more and has been absorbed into a larger US conglomerate, which still has a focus on the 3 monthly results, has got rid of the corporate knowledge and common sense required to generate the required returns (in order to please the analysts) and wonders why it continues to decline.

I often think about how the decline in standards appears to have about a direct correlation with the decline in performance.

BTW - the company was the best organisation I have ever worked for, even through the period of incompetent CEOs

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hamilton and Rosberg news Cé hé sin 57 4,039 06-01-2015 05:09 AM
Last Post: frankdouglason
  Weekend News in Brief trickydicky 17 1,338 02-26-2014 10:18 PM
Last Post: leonbray
  Li'l Hammy's got a show on the telly gr 4 665 03-08-2012 05:36 AM
Last Post: Yaaay
  Lotus news? InterRaptor 21 3,312 09-01-2010 08:16 AM
Last Post: chemics
  WTH?... Hammy borrows Danica's reject shades ballzout in so cal 7 1,288 03-11-2010 06:45 PM
Last Post: rathump