Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alonso's Changing Driving Style
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Alonso's Changing Driving Style
Has anyone notices that Alonso's Driving style has change since he moved to McLaren?

Fernando in 05 and 06 had a distinctive style in that he had a harsh/quick turn in to the corner that I believe set him apart from other drivers. He drove the car aggresively and precisely with this technique. If you watch youtube when he's in the Mclaren that aggressive turn-in is not there-he's more smmoth and progressive with his inputs. I think this is not as effective for him.

Could this be the Michelin tires, the car or his mind??

Any thoughts on this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2008, 01:35 PM
RE: Alonso's Changing Driving Style
In you opinion, has his style reverted not he is back with Renault?

Welcome to the forum.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
07-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I haven't noticed that, but I will look closer now. Maybe this harsh turning style is hard on the rear brickstones?

[Image: 4300_110939515279_538260279_3178285_1406233_n.jpg]
07-25-2008, 04:09 PM
CFD_Racer Wrote:I haven't noticed that, but I will look closer now. Maybe this harsh turning style is hard on the rear brickstones?

He indeed changed his aggressive turn in style to deal with the Brickstones also the suspension geometry from the R25 and R26 has changed. Renault, Michelin and Fernando was a match made in heaven!!Big Grin

Clark Rodgers -The Host of F1weekly.com  

[Image: hs1jjl.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Michelins had different characteristics to Brickstones.  Anyone who was really quick on the Michelins had to change their driving styles a lot for the Bricks.
Bring back the Tyre WarWinkCool

[Image: PzKpfwVI.png]
07-25-2008, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2008 04:54 PM by trickydicky.)
Why are they Bricks Iceman, why?

Its good to see that Clark finally admits that Renault car is the problem area and tyres are fine.

Iceman Wrote:Bring back the Tyre WarWinkCool

What so Renault can have a unfair advantage over better teams?

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
07-25-2008, 04:54 PM
I preferred Michelins, they had more history imo, they wanted competition not a monopoly.  I'm not really anti Bridgestone, I'm anti the current regs and the way the FIA got rid of Michelin and 'B' got the gig.

[Image: PzKpfwVI.png]
07-25-2008, 05:04 PM
I noticed this a lot in 05 especially - he did a very aggressive turn-in much more like a karting style early turn-in, early on the gas type of approach. At the time, I recall Renault trying to get him to not do it as much as it wore the front tires heavily in comparison.

I think Trulli does this still to some extent as well.

But definitely, while a driver may prefer or think in terms of driving a car one way, you've also got to be good enough to captialize on what the car does do well. In general it seems to me like the V8's want to move around more than the V10s did, and it could just be that lower polar moment that means more dramatic amounts of input aren't necessary to get the car to rotate.

[Image: 3843905552_cd9ef30475.jpg]
Andy Chittum - USTCC #38 | NASA Spec e30 #92 | Racecarnology Blog
07-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I've replied here.

http://forums.f1weekly.com/showthread.ph...8#pid40478

This "discussion" has it's own thread.

07-25-2008, 06:28 PM
F1weekly Wrote:He indeed changed his aggressive turn in style to deal with the Brickstones also the suspension geometry from the R25 and R26 has changed. Renault, Michelin and Fernando was a match made in heaven!!Big Grin

I still have my Fernando #8 hat with the tags still on it. I'm hoping he wins another championship soon so the value of the hat goes back up! I still think Renault will be back on track next year. Don't worry too much Clark!

[Image: 4300_110939515279_538260279_3178285_1406233_n.jpg]
07-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Also lack of traction control penalizes agressive driving in the form of accelarated tire degradation, particularly of the rear tires.
Hamilton was one of those who really had to work during winter to be less aggressive on the tires

Ad Astra Per Audacia
07-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Miguel Wrote:Also lack of traction control penalizes agressive driving in the form of accelarated tire degradation, particularly of the rear tires.
Hamilton was one of those who really had to work during winter to be less aggressive on the tires

= driver skill. This is surely what we want.

07-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Yaaay Wrote:
Miguel Wrote:Also lack of traction control penalizes agressive driving in the form of accelarated tire degradation, particularly of the rear tires.

= driver skill. This is surely what we want.

Amen to that!

Richard H. Bright - Theme Music Composer

[Image: l_d7deafde268928d00a3e0458739300-2.jpg]
http://www.richard-h-bright.com
http://www.myspace.com/rhbrightmusic
http://www.soundclick.com/richardhbright
07-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your reply's

It seems unanamous, based on you reply's, that Alonso's changed driving style is mostly due to tires and perhaps, as Miguel pointed out, most recently due to the lack of traction control.

It.s also possible that the McLaren needed to be driven differently so like many things in F1 many variables involved here.
07-28-2008, 02:57 PM
today's edition of Autosport (Pt) mentions how changes in driving style are behind the recent Hammy dominating performance in Hockenheim.

Under the title of "a very well done home assignement" here's a synthesis of the article

Lweis has a well defined driving style: a very precise, pinned down front, that allows him to break very late, turn hard and suddenly without risking excessive understeering. This leads to a progressive slide of the back that is very demanding on the rear tires, particularly on slow corners where low down force means that it will be mechanic grip that will keep the car moving forward.

This is great with Bridgestones during qualifying because it brings the tires quickly to ideal temp, but rather penalizing in the race due to faster tire degradation (see Istambul this year where a three pit stop strategy was imposed on him by the tire manufacturer engineers)
The other downside is that lots of downforce on the frontwings make the MP4/23 loose aerodynamic efficiency along the body.

For all these reasons McLaren staff designed some radical settings that required Hamilton speding the better part of the two weeks between the Uk and German GP, training in the McLaren simulator, the only one in F1 complex enough to handle these parameters.

They reduced down force dramatically in the front, allowing for smaller radiators intakes, increasing the overall areodynamic efficiency of the car and bettering the whole air flux under the flancs and towards the rear wing.

Lewis spent most part of the days in the two weeks between GPs in the simulator trying to come to grips (my punSmile) with a "loose front" that he didn't really trust on the entrance to the corners, and learning to be smoother on the accelarator when existing.

Comparing Heiki and Lewis cars in Hockeheim it was clear that Heikki had more wing on the front than Lewis, as well as small gurney flaps and wider air intakes to the radiators. Heikki didn't try the configuration in the simulator, and after trying it on friday practice told the team he didn't fill confident enough in these setting to do a full race. They reverted to the traditional setting and this explains the huge difference in pace between Hammy and Heiki.
Since then Heikki spent one day in the simulator and used the configuration all week testing in Jerez, where he finished the week with the fastest time.

In Budapest both drivers are expected to use this configuration, adding the pressure on Ferrari (see another article synthesis on the German race threat)

Ad Astra Per Audacia
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
The level of detail these guys get into never ceases to amaze me. It is interesting to note that Hamilton had the opportunity to do the trial work on the new configuration - some are more equal at McLaren.

07-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Very interesting article.

For a while now, I've wondered at the ability of the various drivers to adapt to new driving styles as the car's abilities suited varying conditions and as their setups differed. You figure an F1 driver should be able to change to be able to change styles like flipping a switch.

Most often, you'd see two drivers of the same car unable to compromise on the chassis - Jarno and Ralf in 07 was one example, perhaps Massa and Kimi now, maybe even Nick and Robert to an extent.

But this does illustrate that there is something to reprogramming your driver along with the rest of the package. Kudos to McLaren to recognizing this - it really looks like it's paying off.

[Image: 3843905552_cd9ef30475.jpg]
Andy Chittum - USTCC #38 | NASA Spec e30 #92 | Racecarnology Blog
07-28-2008, 06:14 PM
MadManMotors Wrote:Very interesting article.

You figure an F1 driver should be able to change to be able to change styles like flipping a switch.  

Most often, you'd see two drivers of the same car unable to compromise on the chassis - Jarno and Ralf in 07 was one example, perhaps Massa and Kimi now, maybe even Nick and Robert to an extent.

I'd say, and I'm not even an amateur driver, that changing your driving style must be very difficult, and the ability to do so must be the mark of a great champion.

Midland/Spyker in 06 deleveloped their new suspension around Albers brutal driving style. It sunk Tiago Monteiro's career, he was never able to make the suspension work with his smoother style and he was unable to adapt to the change.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
07-28-2008, 07:45 PM
1994, Spanish GP. Schumacher stuck in 5th gear. Adapting does not even come close to describe it. This is when I woke up and realised this guy was not just good, but special, very special.

07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Part of one's driving style is obviously linked to the sensations coming back through the steering wheel. If the car responds well to certain inputs and unfavourbly to others then the driver must adapt to remain competitive I should think
08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Just to add my YouTube clip on Alonso's driving style.

Check out how quick/harsh his turn in is on this 2005 video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UOp5o4IF...re=related

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Webbo hanging up his driving boots frankdouglason 7 611 10-17-2016 11:36 PM
Last Post: frankdouglason
  Is Fernando driving a Camry in 2013 leonbray 6 782 01-20-2013 03:22 PM
Last Post: Yaaay
  Quick Nick could be driving in Singapore motorracingfan 48 10,217 11-15-2010 11:51 AM
Last Post: Yaaay
  Hooniltons driving will be under scrutiny - Alonso leadfoot 13 1,727 05-02-2010 03:59 PM
Last Post: cyan
  Kubica caught drug driving trickydicky 8 1,233 03-03-2010 03:39 PM
Last Post: hbrightmusic