Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WRC Wales
11-27-2007, 04:40 AM
WRC Wales

Rally Wales GB - Raikkonen inspires Gronholm

Eurosport - Mon, 26 Nov 16:24:00 2007

Marcus Gronholm is looking to use Kimi Raikkonen's successes in Formula One this season to inspire him to the world rally title.

The 39-year-old Finn, who drives for Ford, trails Sebastien Loeb by six points in the championship with only this weekend's Rally of Great Britain remaining, meaning he needs to win with his rival no higher than sixth to take the crown.

But Gronholm says that if his countryman Raikkonen could come back from seven points behind Lewis Hamilton to win the Formula One title at the final race, then he can do likewise and cap a successful year for Finnish Motorsport.

"It will be difficult to win the title but I have a chance and have to make the most of that opportunity. What happened in Formula 1 is a good example," said Gronholm.

"With two races left, Kimi Raikkonen had a big gap to make up to win the title and succeeded. That's a big spur for me because for Finland to win both the Formula One and the WRC titles would be something special for my country," he said.

Should Gronholm triumph, it would be the third time that Finland has had the Formula One and rally world champions at the same time and would join the 1998 and 1999 seasons in which Mika Hakkinen and Tommi Makinen were on top of the pile.

Gronholm, who will retire from rallying after this weekend's event, his 150th WRC start, believes he is now the underdog, and, as such, has minimal pressure compared to Loeb.

"I don't feel under pressure because it is out of my hands now. All I can do is try to win the rally and hope Seb has problems.

"This is my 150th WRC start so it would be great to mark that and my last rally with a victory. But it's the title I'm thinking about. I would swap a win for a top three finish and the title if that was all that was required."

I fish, therefore I lie

[Image: attachment.php?aid=536]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
RE: WRC Wales
Go Marcus Big Grin

I can't see Seb doing the Hamilton choke, though.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  VW in WRC by 2013/4? chemics 27 7,454 05-09-2011 01:32 PM
Last Post: chemics