Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Robert Kubica
08-27-2013, 08:02 AM
RE: Robert Kubica
5th overall, but first in WRC2.

There is some serious talent heading up the ranks with Kubica, Evans and Breen on the way, plus it looks like Meeke will get some more chances after his Finland performance.

It's about time, people like Hirvonen have had their chance and failed, and I think Latvala is running out of time with all his crashes, he's had more than enough time to find some consistency.

(08-25-2013 11:01 PM)leonbray Wrote:  5th in the Rally Deutschland WRC event

FINAL POSITIONS: ADAC Rallye Deutschland
Position Driver Team Car Time
1 Dani Sordo Citroën Total Abu Dhabi Word Rally Team Citroën DS3 WRC 3:15m:9.4
2 Thierry Neuville Qatar World Rally Team Ford Fiesta RS WRC +0:53.0
3 Mikko Hirvonen Citroën Total Abu Dhabi Word Rally Team Citroën DS3 WRC +2m36.1
4 Martin Prokop Jipocar Czech National Team Ford Fiesta RS WRC +8m00.8
5 Robert Kubica* Robert Kubica Citroën DS3 RRC +9m01.3*
6 Elfyn Evans* Qatar M-Sport World Rally Team Ford Fiesta R5 +9m14.2
7 Jari-Matti Latvala Volkswagen Motorsport Volkswagen Polo WRC +9m55.0
8 Hayden Paddon* Hayden Paddon Skoda Fabia S2000 +13m01.2
9 Mads Ostberg Qatar M-Sport World Rally Team Ford Fiesta RS WRC +13m28.1
10 Evgeny Novikov Qatar M-Sport World Rally Team Skoda Fabia S2000 +15m17.9
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2013, 10:46 AM
P5 for Robert Kubica. That's amazing. I think this is his favorite sport- over F1. Imagine if he hadn't crashed.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
08-31-2013, 01:38 PM
(08-31-2013 10:46 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Imagine if he hadn't crashed.

he'd be winning races in the lotus and kimi would be finishing p5 in wrc?
09-03-2013, 02:09 PM
(08-31-2013 10:46 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  P5 for Robert Kubica. That's amazing. I think this is his favorite sport- over F1. Imagine if he hadn't crashed.

I think he'd be in F1 if he could. Rally was his hobby, but if you can't do your first love, making a living at your hobby isn't a bad thing.
10-28-2013, 09:49 AM
http://www.wrc.com/wrc-2/news/kubica-sec...?fid=19332

Kubica won the WRC2 title with 5 wins and a second (6 results for the season count towards the championship). His stated aim was to push regardless of how far in the lead he was so that he could learn as much as possible, and he certainly seems to have done that.

I think he will now get a full WRC car for Wales RallyGB and the rumour is that he will be signed for a full WRC drive for next season. Unlike Kimi he seems to have speed and control, so I think his transition to WRC should go well. Hopefully he can be competitive with the other more experience WRC drivers, but there is nothing to suggest he won't be.
10-28-2013, 04:19 PM
it would be nice to have someone who can challenge ogier.
10-28-2013, 08:13 PM
but his name is sebastian

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
10-28-2013, 08:19 PM
maybe we could convince kubica to change his name to sebastian.
10-29-2013, 10:20 AM
(10-28-2013 08:19 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  maybe we could convince kubica to change his name to sebastian.

I think the FIA are working on a plan to have all of their World Champions be called Sebastian by 2020.
11-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Robert Kubica says a return to Formula 1 remains a "dream" but is "nearly impossible" based on the current state of his injuries sustained in an horrific rallying accident in 2011.
The Pole has returned to rallying, winning the second division of the World Rally Championship last month.

The 28-year-old told BBC Sport: "I would be able to drive an F1 car on one or two circuits for testing.
"But it doesn't make sense to test for a day if I cannot race."

Kubica, who won the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix for BMW Sauber, was considered to be one of the best drivers in the sport at the time of his crash.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
12-03-2013, 05:32 PM
(11-12-2013 06:58 PM)trickydicky Wrote:  Robert Kubica says a return to Formula 1 remains a "dream" but is "nearly impossible" based on the current state of his injuries sustained in an horrific rallying accident in 2011.
The Pole has returned to rallying, winning the second division of the World Rally Championship last month.

The 28-year-old told BBC Sport: "I would be able to drive an F1 car on one or two circuits for testing.
"But it doesn't make sense to test for a day if I cannot race."

Kubica, who won the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix for BMW Sauber, was considered to be one of the best drivers in the sport at the time of his crash.

It would be interesting to know about the extent of his limitations. Which circuits are drivable? What kind of turns can't he negotiate? I would imagine that he's limited more going one way than the other.

All in all, it sounds like he'll never be back because it simply wouldn't be safe for him to be on track with limited steering capacity.
01-16-2014, 10:23 PM
At the end of Day 1 on his first WRC event

Top 10 after first six stages
1 Bryan Bouffier M-Sport Ford 1h25m36.6s
2 Kris Meeke Citroen +38.8
3 Robert Kubica M-Sport Ford +39.5
4 Sebastien Ogier Volkswagen +47.3
5 Mads Ostberg Citroen +1:20.7
6 Elfyn Evans M-Sport Ford +1:38.6
7 Jari-Matti Latvala Volkswagen +2:20.8
8 Mikko Hirvonen M-Sport Ford +2:46.9
9 Andreas Mikkelsen Volkswagen +4:06.2
10 Olivier Burri Burri Ford (WRC 2) +4:47.4

Locator of Shruberies
01-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Just caught the WRC by chance on MotorsTV. Was surprised to see Robert rallying in WRC. I'm really out the loop!

"Woof Woof"
01-16-2014, 11:20 PM
(01-16-2014 10:33 PM)trickydicky Wrote:  Just caught the WRC by chance on MotorsTV. Was surprised to see Robert rallying in WRC. I'm really out the loop!

Time to catch up! He had a stonking drive to win the ERC rally last week:

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2014/01/...e-man.html

We know Robert had the talent and dedication to get to the top in F1 (rumor was that he had a 2012 option at Ferrari). It seems like he also has enough aptitude for rally that those traits have already made him a contender in the WRC. It'll be fascinating to see if he can be consistent enough in his first season to mount a title bid.
01-16-2014, 11:50 PM
wrc is really hard to follow lately. seems like every driver has been on three different teams in the last three years. also, no american tv deal makes it hard for me to stay interested.

i'm rooting for kubica. he might be the one who can bring the fight to ogier. i'm interested to see how meeke does this year. he's been hyped by the british press for years, but this is his first proper swim in the ocean with the sharks. put up or shut up time.
01-17-2014, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2014 09:58 AM by chemics.)
(01-16-2014 11:50 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  wrc is really hard to follow lately. seems like every driver has been on three different teams in the last three years. also, no american tv deal makes it hard for me to stay interested.

i'm rooting for kubica. he might be the one who can bring the fight to ogier. i'm interested to see how meeke does this year. he's been hyped by the british press for years, but this is his first proper swim in the ocean with the sharks. put up or shut up time.

I don't think Kubica will touch Ogier over a season, the Monte is a strange rally and this year seems even more strange. Once Ogier got himself started yesterday he took about a minute back on the second loop.

I hope Meeke does well, but I think the one to watch over the next couple of years if Evans.

After a few years of poor coverage in the UK they finally got great coverage this year. BT Sport just got the main rights which includes some live stages and full coverage of every round. Plus Motors TV which is free to air have highlights. Sadly we have nothing in Canada, so I'm in the same boat as Frank struggling to follow it.
Same as it ever was, Ogier takes the lead on SS9 and Kubica crashes out.
01-17-2014, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2014 10:29 AM by trickydicky.)
Can someone please explain to me why the cars keep getting smaller?

I realise this might of been the case for a while now.

To be honest the last time i followed the sport they were racing round in Focus's etc. Now its fiestas.

Cost cutting measure? My preference is bigger cars. The Impreza was legendary. I hope its not Ford KA's next, then Smart cars.........

Technically Is the Mini too big for rallying now?

"Woof Woof"
01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
(01-17-2014 10:28 AM)trickydicky Wrote:  Can someone please explain to me why the cars keep getting smaller?

I realise this might of been the case for a while now.

To be honest the last time i followed the sport they were racing round in Focus's etc. Now its fiestas.

Cost cutting measure? My preference is bigger cars. The Impreza was legendary. I hope its not Ford KA's next, then Smart cars.........

Technically Is the Mini too big for rallying now?

I think the smaller cars is working really well. It's now possible to buy something like a Fiesta in a lower spec (I don't understand them but they are all named R2, R5 etc) and add kits to upgrade it to the next spec up as a driver progresses. It means the same car in different states of tune is running in multiple classes through the championship and makes it far more affordable. The engines have also been downsized to 1.6L Turbo to be relevant to the manufacturers. The changes are working well, a few years ago we had Ford v Citroen, now there are 4 manufacturers and more taking a serious look at joining. Red Bull Media also seem to be getting the TV coverage sorted as well which will be a big boost.

The Mini is OK for Rallying, they had a semi-works team run by Prodrive a couple of years ago, but BMW pulled the the funding and Prodrive couldn't get the sponsorship for it. They still use a version of the Mini for the Dakar very successfully though.
01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
(01-17-2014 09:26 AM)chemics Wrote:  I don't think Kubica will touch Ogier over a season, the Monte is a strange rally and this year seems even more strange. Once Ogier got himself started yesterday he took about a minute back on the second loop.

for the record, i didn't mean this year, i meant long term.

i like the smaller cars. they're light and nimble. if they happen to be cheaper, more versatile, more road-relevant, less polluting, and less destructive to the trails, all the better to keep the negative forces at bay.
01-17-2014, 02:44 PM
(01-17-2014 02:37 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(01-17-2014 09:26 AM)chemics Wrote:  I don't think Kubica will touch Ogier over a season, the Monte is a strange rally and this year seems even more strange. Once Ogier got himself started yesterday he took about a minute back on the second loop.

for the record, i didn't mean this year, i meant long term.

i like the smaller cars. they're light and nimble. if they happen to be cheaper, more versatile, more road-relevant, less polluting, and less destructive to the trails, all the better to keep the negative forces at bay.

My reply re Kubica being a title contender was really more for RBoulanger saying he hoped he could mount a challenge this year. I totally agree he could do it in the long term. He has rarely if ever rallied on Gravel yet, so I expect lots of crashes and not too much pace early on. He seems very realistic about his learning curve and I hear nothing but praise form Malcolm Wilson about his work ethic. He's still in his 20's as well, so he's still a young driver in WRC terms. I'm hoping he can be someone that will bring in a wide audience for WRC with his name recognition from F1.
04-10-2014, 08:33 PM
RK is realistically contemplating a return to F1 as impossible for now...

Apr.10 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Robert Kubica has revealed his physical limitations are still standing in the way of his return to formula one.

The Pole, now 29, was regarded as one of the most talented drivers in F1 ahead of his sixth season.

But in the 2011 pre-season, he was almost fatally wounded in a rally crash that has left him with only limited mobility in his right arm and hand.

Kubica now drives competitively in the world rally championship, and he has dabbled with circuit racing with a highly-competitive DTM test, and regular stints at the wheel of Mercedes’ sophisticated F1 simulator.

But there are also things he can no longer do. Germany’s Welt newspaper reports that, once right-handed, Kubica has had to learn to write with his left hand since the crash.

He even prefers to drink a cup of coffee with his left hand nowadays.

“The limitations have made my life more difficult,” Kubica admitted.

The most difficult of all, he said, is that a return to F1 is currently “impossible”.

“Not now. With my limitations, it is impossible, but maybe one day I will be there again,” he said.

The only problem, he said, is that the small F1 cockpits make it difficult for him to turn the steering wheel in the way he needs to — with his elbow and shoulder rather than his forearm and wrist.

“Some tracks are not a problem,” Kubica explained, “like Montreal and Barcelona.

“But the hairpin in Monaco, with my hand, is not easy.”

http://www.inautonews.com/f1-return-stil...0cpgMvD_IU

04-10-2014, 11:52 PM
i thought he had conceded this long ago.

also, i'm not sure i would classify his wrc work as "competitive." gotta finish to score points, bob.
04-11-2014, 01:40 PM
(04-10-2014 11:52 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i thought he had conceded this long ago.

also, i'm not sure i would classify his wrc work as "competitive." gotta finish to score points, bob.

I think it's only the F1 media looking to keep the story alive for slow news days.

He's proving in WRC this year that 1 season of competitive rally in a junior category doesn't make you ready for WRC. I hope he stops crashing soon though, he appears to have some raw speed, but I think I saw a stat that in 12 days of WRC this year he has had 11 crashes.
10-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Robert Kubica, age 29, is still hoping for an F1 seat. He's having more hand surgery. "Once the season is over I will look at everything," he told BBC Sport. "It will be a dream to come back to F1."

02-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Kubica to make full-time return to road racing

Good news

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/13...oad-racing

Locator of Shruberies